Jones has an 13.5 reach over Cormier

where is joe to add "they really need to measure leg reach, elbow reach, wang reach, etc."

Again: Short stocky guys can't beat jones. Even with the most amazing, kurt angle wrestling prowess, they'll never get inside. See rashad evans title bout. See how impotent he looked? Thats cormier, cain, and every 5'10ish flabby wrestler against jon freaking jones. Its not interesting. Its easy mode.

You are using Rashad Evan's as evidence of someone who is good at getting inside?

Lol.

Jones has a reach advantage over everyone.

Poking opponents in the eyes or attempting to all fight kinda keeps them at bay. :redface:

I don't know if you were trying to be sarcastic or rag on Jones but you are absolutely right people really underestimate that technique when Jones is retreating, almost running away, and has his hand is extended like he does it's almost impossible to really make contact with him unless you want your eyes gouged. call it what you like but when Jones disengages and scurries it's so hard to really hit him

You are using Rashad Evan's as evidence of someone who is good at getting inside?

Lol.

no, i'm using him as an example of a 5'10 stocky wrestler. For those people saying cormier/cain would ragdoll jon jones. Rashad evans, who has the same height/reach & is much faster couldnt get within 50 feet to utilize his wrestling. Why would you believe slower, fatter guys then rashad could get within 100 feet?

Wow...forget the fact he also has five inch height advantage on DC, this reach advantage is insane. Jones knows how to use his reach better than anyone in mma why would he have any difficulties keeping cormier at bay (he would have the shortest reach to ever face Jones.)

And don't give me, "DC reach doesn't keep him from winning against his (strikeforce)opponents".as I previously stated no one users their height and reach like Jones and DC is the shortest person Jones will face with the shortest reach.

Not all fights come down to reach, Cormier will devour Jones on the ground and possibly sub Jones. Cormier wins the clinch too. Not to mention Cormier has KO power.

One of the many reasons why he is Black Fedor

White Belt props. Cormier is a legit threat, probably the only. Explosive, great hands already and he's still learning, wrestling can match Jones, I'd love to see.

Wow. People are some kind of desperate to find someone to beat Jones. Jones is at some sort of god level if people are foaming at the mouth to see him fall.

You know who else Jon Jones has exactly a 13.5 inch reach advantage against? A man by the name of Iron Mike Tyson (71 inch reach).

Is Cormier, Tyson? No. Of course not. But don't think that its insermountable. Cormier can still land strikes at that distance and it shouldnt effect him in the wrestling game.

Jones is the favorite and should be but obsessing over some inches won't matter. There are a million different factors going into this fight. Will reach play a factor? Yes. No reason not to be excited over a fight though.

Jones is not a outside fighter, he does most of his damage on the inside. He uses his reach and distance well but isnt a really an outside fighter which is correct.

Cormier is a very good pocket/in-fighter and jones reach could be a disadvantage in the cormier fight. If Cormier can get inside the pocket with jones which I think he wil ljones will have to modify his striking to compensate. Cormier also has the foot work and grappling to keep Jones wrestling at bay along with having the lower center of gravity which would aid him in jones having a tougher time with takedowns.

Its a fairly good fight and should be fun to watch. The real issue is does cormier have the foot speed to get inside Jones reach or does he bully his way in and can he impose his wrestling on Jon. I do think Cormier is the better boxer and possibly MMA wrestler whereas jones is the better MMA fighter in terms of his entire game and striking. Jones can also Sub at the drop of a hat which adds to another gem for this fight.

Against Rashad, Rampage and Belfort, Jones fought from the outside, primarily. That is where he broke them down and softened them up. Now, he can move into closer range and do damage (like he did against Rashad with the elbows) but where he really demoralizes his opponents and establishes control of a fight, is from the outside.

I do think that Jones' chokes will pose a serious threat in any grappling situations that the two may get into. Also, it is imperative for Cormier to stay off his back (which goes for any of Jones' opponents). I don't agree with people that say Cormier's wrestling is miles ahead of Jones. I'd argue it may be better and I really don't see Jones taking him down, but I think Cormier will also struggle taking and keeping Jones down. As others have said, it will likely be more or less a wash.

Wow. People are some kind of desperate to find someone to beat Jones. Jones is at some sort of god level if people are foaming at the mouth to see him fall.

Or, you know, people are just discussing an interesting fight.

Wow...forget the fact he also has five inch height advantage on DC, this reach advantage is insane. Jones knows how to use his reach better than anyone in mma why would he have any difficulties keeping cormier at bay (he would have the shortest reach to ever face Jones.)

And don't give me, "DC reach doesn't keep him from winning against his (strikeforce)opponents".as I previously stated no one users their height and reach like Jones and DC is the shortest person Jones will face with the shortest reach.

Cormier has a 7" belt advantage ovet Jones, that has to count.

Bigfoots 11 inch reach and +40lb weight advantage sure did help him against Cormier.

What evidence do you have that Jones is better out of curiosity?

As far as it can tell, no one can say the other is better.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/74800597-post1.html

Compare this to Cormier's wrestling which is straight forward.Jones has the better fight IQ,agility and MMA WRESTLING.Not to mention Jones is good at other techniques like judo throws.Has infinitely better BJJ than Cormier.Just look at the link i posted.He will tool cormier.Then people will have to cry about the next guy they think can dethrone Jones like Gus (lol).

For some reason, people think it'd be a different story with Cormier. The bottom line is that Cormier is a great fighter but all those attributes don't mean anything if he can't touch his opponent. I don't think Cormier could even get his hands on Jones.

Bigfoots 11 inch reach and +40lb weight advantage sure did help him against Cormier.

Yeah, but Bigfoot is a slow, plodding fighter who doesn't utilize his reach well or have anywhere near as diverse clinch and striking game.

I wanna see how Jones' tactic of keeping his hand out in his opponents' faces works against an Olympic wrestler who knows how to execute a simple arm drag.

Compare this to Cormier's wrestling which is straight forward.Jones has the better fight IQ,agility and MMA WRESTLING.Not to mention Jones is good at other techniques like judo throws.Has infinitely better BJJ than Cormier.Just look at the link i posted.He will tool cormier.Then people will have to cry about the next guy they think can dethrone Jones like Gus (lol).

exactly, nice link btw

Roger Gracie has pretty "straight forward" jiu jitsu. Simplicity and basic techniques executed at a high level tend to overmatch flash. Cormier is a rare talent and that is why he is getting hype. It isn't some vendetta against Jones.

Back