Jones has an 13.5 reach over Cormier

also Cormier isn't 5'11" dude is more like 5'8"-5'9"

seagal_cormier2.jpg

Gonna eat Jon's fucking lunch.

Well considering that Steven is like 6'4"...

Cormier is deceptively fast and very good at closing the distance. He doesnt have to worry about jones takedowns so all he has to worry about is the standup and closing the distance. Easier said than done but i think DC can make this fight interesting because he will press jones far more than Rashad would risk and he most likely the best wrestler in MMA right now.

In no way does Rashad have a similar skillset to close the distance.

Both Forrest and Chuck were able to keep Rashad from getting inside for a large portion of their fights. Forrest was completely winning the standup in rounds 1 and 2 until Rashad caught a kick in round 3. Rashad has never been that great at getting inside on long fighters.

Lyoto does, sure. He was countering Jones long strikes by getting in with his straights. And he was doing it. The primary difference is Lyoto (and other strikers Jones has faced) is that they want to get in and out. They don't want to play the clinch game with Jones as that is one of his strongest areas.

Cormier on the other hand will have no issue in engaging a clinch against Jones as he is a far better, stronger, and bigger wrestler than Lyoto or Rashad were.

Like Electra said, part of what makes Jones range so dangerous is that even if you manage to get inside on him he still has his wrestling and size to fall back on. Cormier should be able to negate much of that with his own wrestling.

I'm in agreement with the vast majority of what you're saying but I have one minor disagreement. I recently rewatched the Forrest v. Rashad fight to see exactly how the striking was going down (because I often hear how Forrest was clearly winning before getting stopped) and I found that it was more or less even, maybe giving the edge to Forrest by a small amount.

Did you really think Mir would snap Big Nog's arm? Cormier is no BJJ master like Nog! If this fight goes to the ground I give the edge to Mir! Cormier better KO him on the feet because if he takes Mir down, Mir wil grab a limb, and well, we will see if Cormier can defend!

Come on now u really think that

Did you really think Mir would snap Big Nog's arm? Cormier is no BJJ master like Nog! If this fight goes to the ground I give the edge to Mir! Cormier better KO him on the feet because if he takes Mir down, Mir wil grab a limb, and well, we will see if Cormier can defend!

I'm in agreement with the vast majority of what you're saying but I have one minor disagreement. I recently rewatched the Forrest v. Rashad fight to see exactly how the striking was going down (because I often hear how Forrest was clearly winning before getting stopped) and I found that it was more or less even, maybe giving the edge to Forrest by a small amount.

I'll go back and rewatch. I think what stuck in my mind was when Forrest backed up Rashad in the plum and starting teeing off. That fight was so long ago now I have a hard time remembering it in detail.

Well...that's the trouble. Going to the ground.

Cormier is not an easy man to takedown. His shorter height and his massive freestyle experience make him a very difficult man to get a takedown on.

I'll go back and rewatch. I think what stuck in my mind was when Forrest backed up Rashad in the plum and starting teeing off. That fight was so long ago now I have a hard time remembering it in detail.

Yeah, I did, too. I was discussing Anderson's win over Forrest and one of the Anderson fans claimed that Forrest had been dominating Rashad so I had to give it a rewatch.

Well...that's the trouble. Going to the ground.

Cormier is not an easy man to takedown. His shorter height and his massive freestyle experience make him a very difficult man to get a takedown on.

Well I never said someone is going to take Cormier down! Go back and reread my post and come back with a more accurate reply!

With Seagal's training, Cormier will learn how to dematerialize his body so Jones' punches go right through him. Then Cormier will re-materialize, trap Jone's arm inside his own body and beat him senseless with a chewed up KFC drumstick Seagal has given him.

Elementary stuff really.

I think mir gets drug just as bad as the brock or carwin fights. mir has great bjj but he can be beat up on the feet and controled by top wrestlers fairly easy. He got nog because nog put the fight the only place Mir had a chance. If he let him stand up or kept hitting him it is a tko for nog instead he went for a sub and the rest is history.

Jones's kicking game would give Cormier all kinds of problems just like it did Rampage. Jones has better MMA takedowns than Cormier. What advantages does Cormier really have? Pure wrestling? Ok that's not enough to beat Jones.

That's like thinking Koschek will beat GSP because Kos has better wrestling.

In the MMA ring Jones has better wrestling than Cormier evidenced by the variety of takedowns Jones has employed compared to what Cormier has shown.

Jones's kicking game would give Cormier all kinds of problems just like it did Rampage. Jones has better MMA takedowns than Cormier. What advantages does Cormier really have? Pure wrestling? Ok that's not enough to beat Jones.

In the MMA ring Jones has better wrestling than Cormier evidenced by the variety of takedowns Jones has employed compared to what Cormier has shown.

What do you mean compared to what Cormier has shown? Cormier has basically ragdolled every fighter he has faced. He isn't as flashy as Jones, but he still manages to ragdoll his opponents just as effectively.

I mean...

8.gif

The wrestling in this fight is one big question mark. Both men have ragdolled all of their opponents and have not been taken down themselves.

As far as the kicks, we will see. Cormier would be likely to shoot on them if Jones throws too many, but again. Hard to predict.

What makes this fight so much more interesting than others is that Jones for once may not have his wrestling game to fall back on if his striking doesn't workout.

I don't know if I'd say Kos has better wrestling than GSP. I also don't think there is anyone stronger than GSP at WW. But at any rate, Cormier has shown much more than just wrestling, he can actually Box, unlike Kos who only has a predictable overhand right. You really think Jon would throw kicks at Cormier if they fought? That's like saying it's a good idea to throw kicks at Jon himself or any wrestler with very good takedowns. It's a quick way to find yourself on your back. Jon Jones is the potential GOAT imho, but if he fights Cormier, he willl lose. Styles make fights and this would be the first fight where Jon can't dictate where the fights takes place

What makes Cormier interesting is he will be the first opponent who has the ability to close the distance and NOT necessarily be at a disadvantage in the clinch.

When you look at Machida, Shogun, Vitor, etc, the concern has always been that even if the get inside, Jones can still take them down. Which he did.

Cormier will be interesting because he has shown he knows how to get inside with his boxing and has the wrestling pedigree and strength to handle Jones' clinch.

Either way it'll be interesting.

Basically this

Back