Jones has an 13.5 reach over Cormier

itsjustme***

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow...forget the fact he also has five inch height advantage on DC, this reach advantage is insane. Jones knows how to use his reach better than anyone in mma why would he have any difficulties keeping cormier at bay (he would have the shortest reach to ever face Jones.)

And don't give me, "DC reach doesn't keep him from winning against his (strikeforce)opponents".as I previously stated no one users their height and reach like Jones and DC is the shortest person Jones will face with the shortest reach.

In before Rogan explains that leg reach need to somehow be measured.

Cormier so much shorter and with less reach... yet takes on Giants.... love it.

What makes Cormier interesting is he will be the first opponent who has the ability to close the distance and NOT necessarily be at a disadvantage in the clinch.

When you look at Machida, Shogun, Vitor, etc, the concern has always been that even if the get inside, Jones can still take them down. Which he did.

Cormier will be interesting because he has shown he knows how to get inside with his boxing and has the wrestling pedigree and strength to handle Jones' clinch.

Either way it'll be interesting.

Wow...forget the fact he also has five inch height advantage on DC, this reach advantage is insane. Jones knows how to use his reach better than anyone in mma why would he have any difficulties keeping cormier at bay (he would have the shortest reach to ever face Jones.)

And don't give me, "DC reach doesn't keep him from winning against his (strikeforce)opponents".as I previously stated no one users their height and reach like Jones and DC is the shortest person Jones will face with the shortest reach.

dude you should seriously get up off of Jones' nuts. you're posting this shit EVERYWHERE

What makes Cormier interesting is he will be the first opponent who has the ability to close the distance and NOT necessarily be at a disadvantage in the clinch.

When you look at Machida, Shogun, Vitor, etc, the concern has always been that even if the get inside, Jones can still take them down. Which he did.

Cormier will be interesting because he has shown he knows how to get inside with his boxing and has the wrestling pedigree and strength to handle Jones' clinch.

Hendo wouldn't have been either.... but he has moved to a different gameplan than the old days.... and in the end he would have been chasing Jones and gassed.

Yup, agree...

Gonna be hard to enjoy that reach if DC gets on the inside. And he isn't Stephan Bonnar, DC won't be tossed around like that. What does make it interesting though is Jones is very good with his distancing though and will use those knee strikes to keep people at bay.

This

Put big John in there, maybe Cormier won't be so hesitant to close the distance:icon_lol:

Jones isn't an indomitable outside fighter. I like his kicks and generally speaking, he manages distance quite well. Still, he doesn't have a great jab (which is usually the measure of utilizing reach) and he hasn't fought anyone that has shown any kind of initiative to get inside. As I've said many times, what makes Jones' striking ability from range all the more potent is his wrestling ability in the clinch. I think it can be assumed that someone like Cormier wouldn't fear Jones' ability in the clinch and would therefore be less wary to attempt to get inside.

Now, the question becomes: can Cormier get inside? I think he has shown a better skillset for doing just that when compared to any of Jones' previous opponents. Cormier, first of all, jabs very well for an MMA fighter and a man of his stature and reach. The jab is as important as any weapon for closing distance. Furthermore, Cormier has very good all round speed (foot and hand) which is another key attribute. Now, there are no guarantees for Cormier but the same can be said for Jones. While Cormier has never faced anyone like Jones, Jones hasn't faced anyone like Cormier.

Fight won't happen because Cormier will get snapped by Mir!

Jones isn't an indomitable outside fighter. I like his kicks and generally speaking, he manages distance quite well. Still, he doesn't have a great jab (which is usually the measure of utilizing reach) and he hasn't fought anyone that has shown any kind of initiative to get inside. As I've said many times, what makes Jones' striking ability from range all the more potent is his wrestling ability in the clinch. I think it can be assumed that someone like Cormier wouldn't fear Jones' ability in the clinch and would therefore be less wary to attempt to get inside.

Now, the question becomes: can Cormier get inside? I think he has shown a better skillset for doing just that when compared to any of Jones' previous opponents. Cormier, first of all, jabs very well for an MMA fighter and a man of his stature and reach. The jab is as important as any weapon for closing distance. Furthermore, Cormier has very good all round speed (foot and hand) which is another key attribute. Now, there are no guarantees for Cormier but the same can be said for Jones. While Cormier has never faced anyone like Jones, Jones hasn't faced anyone like Cormier.

Rashad and Machida have an equal(arguably greater in Machida's case) skillset to close the distance on Jones imo.

Personally I think the deciding factor will be the scrambles between them and I'd say JJ has a decided advantage there with his exp. and threat of subs. from many positions.

How Cormier's cardio holds up if he can't find his way inside or does but has limited success is another factor.

What usually gets left out in these discussions is that JJ's clinch/at clinch range is not only dangerous because of his trips and throws.

Cormier is a way better wrestler, and he punches harder. Also he can fight hard for five rounds and throw around bigger men than Jones. Jones is an amazing fighter, but I have a hard time seeing him winning this one. He will be working off his back a TON. Cormier is a BEAST. Nobody does that to Barnett.

cormier will beat jones

Rashad and Machida have an equal(arguably greater in Machida's case) skillset to close the distance on Jones imo.

Personally I think the deciding factor will be the scrambles between them and I'd say JJ has a decided advantage there with his exp. and threat of subs. from many positions.

How Cormier's cardio holds up if he can't find his way inside or does but has limited success is another factor.

What usually gets left out in these discussions is that JJ's clinch/at clinch range is not only dangerous because of his trips and throws.

Machida is a counter fighter by nature. He was waiting on Jon the whole fight (and someone like Jones really isn't an easy fighter to counter because of his length and kicking game). It was like when Leonard was trying to box with Hearns. I don't see Rashad as possessing Cormier skills or comfort in the stand up.

That was one of the frustrating things about watching the R v J fight was due to Rashad not even attempting to get inside until it was too late. He seemed to be to scared to get in there and mix it up for whatever reason.

The fight between DC v Jones will be interesting on the ground as we haven't seen either fighter off of their back. I'd take JBJ if he got on top though, as he can finish it either way once there.

In no way does Rashad have a similar skillset to close the distance.

Both Forrest and Chuck were able to keep Rashad from getting inside for a large portion of their fights. Forrest was completely winning the standup in rounds 1 and 2 until Rashad caught a kick in round 3. Rashad has never been that great at getting inside on long fighters.

Lyoto does, sure. He was countering Jones long strikes by getting in with his straights. And he was doing it. The primary difference is Lyoto (and other strikers Jones has faced) is that they want to get in and out. They don't want to play the clinch game with Jones as that is one of his strongest areas.

Cormier on the other hand will have no issue in engaging a clinch against Jones as he is a far better, stronger, and bigger wrestler than Lyoto or Rashad were.

Like Electra said, part of what makes Jones range so dangerous is that even if you manage to get inside on him he still has his wrestling and size to fall back on. Cormier should be able to negate much of that with his own wrestling.

also Cormier isn't 5'11" dude is more like 5'8"-5'9"

seagal_cormier2.jpg

Gonna eat Jon's fucking lunch.

Machida is a counter fighter by nature. He was waiting on Jon the whole fight (and someone like Jones really isn't an easy fighter to counter because of his length and kicking game). It was like when Leonard was trying to box with Hearns. I don't see Rashad as possessing Cormier skills or comfort in the stand up.

"Effective" was supposed to follow equally. Sorry for the confusion, kinda rushed through the post.

Back