Jones/Gustafsson II location not set, UFC may be reconsidering Toronto

Just a few days ago I saw a bunch of Jones fanboys argue that Manuwa had no home field advantage in London so the same thing should be true for Alex in Sweden...

Oh please. Manuwa wasn't ranked in the top ten, that was merely a fight that allowed Gus and his apologists to say he didn't just sit on his ass, and save the nonsense about how "dangerous" that fight was to Alex. Jim is one dimensional - and clearly wasn't in Alex's class. Meanwhile, Jones fought the number three ranked LHW in the world. Not even the same thing to compare a fight like that with a championship fight. If Alex wins the title, he can fight in Sweden and defend the title.

Gus needs another top ten win (to give him two) before his fans start talking nonsense.

As for the fight, given the time difference, having fighters fight at that time to maintain a 10pm PPV would be ridiculous. Sorry Sweden, given that North America drives the waning PPV market, you're SOL.

Oh please. Manuwa wasn't ranked in the top ten, that was merely a fight that allowed Gus and his apologists to say he didn't just sit on his ass, and save the nonsense about how "dangerous" that fight was to Alex. Jim is one dimensional - and clearly wasn't in Alex's class. Meanwhile, Jones fought the number three ranked LHW in the world.

This is so dumb and two can play that game: "Oh please. Glover's best win was a tired retirement Rampage and a Bader that got dropped by Tito of all people".

Yuck, I instantly feel more retarded. I don't know how you do it tbh.

The facts are he finished a undefeated #11 opponent who'd never gone past the second round, in his backyard in London. And the only reason he did it was because Lil Nog, DC and Jon all had said "thanks, but no thanks".

As for the fight, given the time difference, having fighters fight at that time to maintain a 10pm PPV would be ridiculous. Sorry Sweden, given that North America drives the waning PPV market, you're SOL.

Meh. That wouldn't be an issue and don't pretend like you know anything about it.

Hate to say it, but when you're a brat, like Jon, you really don't have a "home-field" advantage anywhere. Jon dug his own grave.

Dana would be smart to cash in with Sweden. If Jon could bring in what the Swedes would bring to the table (I know it's assuming, but i think it's safe to say Europe is crazy for Gus and he would sell out any place) then he'd have the fight in the States.

Strictly based upon assumption here: the only way they do this fight in Sweden, at the risk of losing PPV numbers, is if they lock down a big deal in Europe to air the fight live on a major network (or networkS) that would cushion the blow.

Still got my hopes up for Tele2 or Friends arena in Sweden. It would be beyond crazy.

34906_l.jpg

tele2arena_konsert.jpg

friends.jpg

8130750959_d4437e6e90_b.jpg

This :)

I would say maybe the reason could be there's a glimmer of hope that mma will be legalized in NY this year but read recently that Sheldon Silver was quoted as saying "I don't see a groundswell of support at this point" so it probably won't be brought to a vote yet again. He's definitely lying though. There's a huge amount of support, both from new yorkers and politicians.

I would say maybe the reason could be there's a glimmer of hope that mma will be legalized in NY this year but read recently that Sheldon Silver was quoted as saying "I don't see a groundswell of support at this point" so it probably won't be brought to a vote yet again. He's definitely lying though. There's a huge amount of support, both from new yorkers and politicians.

Still blows my mind that the largest sports market in North America, still hasn't legalized MMA.

This is so dumb and two can play that game: "Oh please. Glover's best win was a tired retirement Rampage and a Bader that got dropped by Tito of all people".

Yuck, I instantly feel more retarded. I don't know how you do it tbh.

The facts are he finished a undefeated #11 opponent who'd never gone past the second round, in his backyard in London. And the only reason he did it was because Lil Nog, DC and Jon all had said "thanks, but no thanks".

Meh. That wouldn't be an issue and don't pretend like you know anything about it.

So starting a main card at 4am CEST to meet a 10pm EST ppv wouldn't be a issue according you?

They are not going to tape delay a fight of that magnitude.

Last edited:
He said they'd might be reconsidering Toronto. But yeah Rogers Centre would make more sense if they have it there.

It would be on another level if they took it to Sweden though. Literally the whole country would stop to watch the fight. Take the Ireland hype and triple it and that's how crazy it would be...

I believe he just meant that they might be reconsidering the Air Canada Centre (where it's currently scheduled) in Toronto. Not necessarily not going to Toronto at all. But yeah, the Rogers Centre makes far more sense if they're going to keep it in Toronto, though they'd have to once again stack the card to fill it.

As much as I would love to finally see an event in NY. I dont see it happening until like 2015 at the earliest. Even 2015, i'm doubting.

I've given up hoping for an event in NY and just travel to events

So starting a main card at 4am CEST to meet a 10pm EST ppv wouldn't be a issue according you?

They are not going to tape delay a fight of that magnitude.

No it wouldn't be a problem. We've discussed this in depth in a couple of other threads but in short they've had other packed events around that time slot that wasn't even close to being this big or having as much hype behind it as this fight would. Keep also in mind a few thousand swedes traveled for both London and Toronto on expensive charters and our supporters are some of the most fanatic in the world when it comes to supporter culture. A +20000 strong horde showed up in Kiev to watch the soccer euro champs etc so having it in Sweden at any time of the day is guaranteed to be sold out. Even if they had it in Toronto there'd probably be 3000-5000 swedes there to watch it.

What's keeping the UFC from having the Main Card start at 6? Midnight in Sweden?

I don't think that would hurt American PPV buys

Back