Jones/Gustafsson II location not set, UFC may be reconsidering Toronto

markg171

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Mike Chiappetta MMA @MikeChiappetta
UFC may be reconsidering Toronto for Jones-Gus II. An official tells me "more info to be made available in days to come."

For those who weren't aware UFC 178 is currently scheduled for Toronto but it seems the UFC might be changing that

UPDATE: Sweden not being considered

Toronto's Air Canada Centre is no longer a lock to host one of the most-anticipated rematches in UFC history, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. That's why when UFC.com posted a story about the fight being signed, Toronto was never mentioned once in the entire article.

The UFC is currently weighing its options and expected to make a final decision soon. As of right now, Sweden isn't being considered (remember, the UFC already announced an Oct. 4 show in Sweden). And when Jones met with the UFC brass on Thursday to hammer out the deal, a final decision on the location of the rematch wasn't made.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/6/6/5786466/toronto-not-a-lock-to-host-jones-vs-gustafsson-2

Last edited:
aw man. was really hoping it would be here.

This would suck if true for me. But I can understand.

First off they really want Jones to fight in Vegas, where he hasnt been as a champ. Second, I can also understand why they dont want a re-match to be in the exact same city as the first

If they do move it, I hope it's not a snap reaction in regards to the ticket sales in Vancouver not doing so hot. That seems pretty unfair to those fans.

Can't imagine they'd do 3 PPVs in Vegas in a span of 5 months (you'd assume the year ending event will be in Vegas as well)

Just do it outside of MSG in the plaza area. Don't give a fuck if they try to stop you.

Come to Stockholm. Friends Arena, 65 thousand seats sold out guaranteed!

Still got my hopes up for Tele2 or Friends arena in Sweden. It would be beyond crazy.

34906_l.jpg

tele2arena_konsert.jpg

friends.jpg

8130750959_d4437e6e90_b.jpg

Still got my hopes up for Tele2 or Friends arena in Sweden. It would be beyond crazy.

34906_l.jpg

tele2arena_konsert.jpg

friends.jpg

8130750959_d4437e6e90_b.jpg

Very well could be that they're trying to get a stadium show. Now whether that just means they're reconsidering the Air Canada Centre for the Rogers Centre in Toronto, or for the arena in Stockholm, I don't know.

That'd be cool. My new place is within walking distance of the Air Canada Centre.

Home field advantage should go to the champ. Don't see this thing going outside of North America and definitely can't see this going to Sweden.

Very well could be that they're trying to get a stadium show. Now whether that just means they're reconsidering the Air Canada Centre for the Rogers Centre in Toronto, or for the arena in Stockholm, I don't know.

There's no way that they fill up the Rogers Centre again.

Home field advantage should go to the champ. Don't see this thing going outside of North America and definitely can't see this going to Sweden.

LOL @ "home field advantage." Jones has been booed by the crowd every time that he's fought in Toronto.

He said they'd might be reconsidering Toronto. But yeah Rogers Centre would make more sense if they have it there.

It would be on another level if they took it to Sweden though. Literally the whole country would stop to watch the fight. Take the Ireland hype and triple it and that's how crazy it would be...

LOL @ "home field advantage." Jones has been booed by the crowd every time that he's fought in Toronto.

I wouldn't consider Toronto home field advantage for him either. I think it should be in the states or the very least NA. Just not Europe.

I wouldn't consider Toronto home field advantage for him either. I think it should be in the states or the very least NA. Just not Europe.

Just a few days ago I saw a bunch of Jones fanboys argue that Manuwa had no home field advantage in London so the same thing should be true for Alex in Sweden...

Just a few days ago I saw a bunch of Jones fanboys argue that Manuwa had no home field advantage in London so the same thing should be true for Alex in Sweden...

Yeah and Montreal was completely neutral for GSP...

Back