Jones getting tagged and akwardly turning his head?

I wrote in length about this tendency several times before the fight but I was still surprised at how much he did it. And no, he wasn't rolling with the punches he was turning his head away in the middle of combinations; it's only the luck of the draw he wasn't caught with something stiff because there were numerous times he did his "I don't wanna look!!" act and Alex just barely missed.

It's definitely something for Alex to exploit in the rematch. The thing about this fight was he feared the TDs and didn't get taken down until the 5:th where he finally got it confirmed he a) would't get overwhelmed by elbows b) could get up just as easily as he did against Shogun. With this new confidence he'll be able to commit much more to the combinations and sooner or later Jon will pay for his habit unless he fixes it.

I noticed how Gus literally ran away from Jones whenever a clinch was coming.

i7amSSPkYGJep.gif

That was a one time instance when jones went Cain mode lol. Jds did the same, you can't sprawl against a cage so you have to get out and re-take the center.

he looked a little awkward but he has a chin on him, that much cannot be denied.

Do you fuckers even read the other posts before responding? I now what rolling with the punches is but I'm talking about what he does after he gets hit. Not during the exchange. He's not maywearther and he's not rolling with the punch and firing back. Hes getting tagged and then standing there with his head turned. I swear, Sherdog has to be the biggest community that just responds without ever reading anything.

God forbid somebody actually has to read and grasp what someone is talking about.

Most of us got it lol. That dudes just a insecure bones fan after the guss loss :wink:

he extended his arm to create enough distance so if he turned his head away, gus couldnt reach it. it wasnt pretty but it was effective, gus never hit him while he was doing it

He's used to extending his arm out and walking backward. Tough defense to use for Gus.

He's just not used to being punched in the mug in an actual, meaningful fight. Seen as though it's probably happened twice in the past, and each time, he was facing a smaller guy he could easily back up from and reset. This time, he was getting repeatedly punched in the mug, up close and very personal, by a giant Viking who he couldn't keep at arm's length.

It's something that he'll definitely sort out for his next fight, he seems a lot stronger mentally than say Lesnar who I don't think would ever have gotten used to be punched in the face. But he wasn't used to it this weekend.

i7amSSPkYGJep.gif

the way jones was diving for those takedowns. i think gus would've gotten taken down if he didn't run like that so it was the right move. however if some rules were differnt like being able to knee and kick a downed opponent after he fails for a takedown.. he might've thrown some strikes... but with the way the rules are right now, it was a good idea.

I definitely noticed it, but he did it a lot and his coaches will see it on tape and correct it ASAP. Jones and Jackson will be breaking down tape on this fight a lot in preparation for the rematch and/or any other fights.

Noticed it too. Too bad Gus didn't capitalize, probably wanting to conserve his energy or something. Definitely wasn't "rolling with" the punches though, it was an adverse reaction to already getting struck. Not as bad as Brock like someone said though, dear god thank goodness for that. Problem is someone like Glover isn't going to only pop him once while he stands there with his head simply turned. With heavier hands.

Yeah I noticed that too. Rousey does it also . People that haven't ever really been punched in the face

He was using his lead shoulder to defend, which is what you're supposed to do.

It was nothing like a shoulder roll. He was turning his head away instinctively. No counters from these. They were out of pure fear.

Yeah once

ibaeecYpiteNBO.gif

This is for the people that clown people for running, like many did of Jones on here but are not doing it with Gus. Thats the point that person posted that first gif. Hypocrisy.

That's my point when Jones did it with Rampage people plastered it all over the board saying Jones was scared. Gus does it in an even more extreme fashion and barely a word.

Rampage at a time used to be nearly every-bodies favorite fighter around here probably just old emotions like people feel for an ex they still have feelings for long after.

and people say Gus won the fight

Nobody would think Gus won the fight if he was taken down. You have a lot of space to use inside the octagon you are an idiot if you don't use it when you need it.

I definitely noticed it, but he did it a lot and his coaches will see it on tape and correct it ASAP. Jones and Jackson will be breaking down tape on this fight a lot in preparation for the rematch and/or any other fights.

Doubt it. Bad tendencies like that take a long time to correct, and this is far from the first time Jones has done it so sure he has done it a ton at the gym.

Last edited:
It was nothing like a shoulder roll. He was turning his head away instinctively. No counters from these. They were out of pure fear.

10.gif

Yep. Some wonderful defense there. Eyes on the opponent and poised to counter...

Gus was taking advantage but not enough.

Indeed he did. Usually that stuff annoys me (and I wasn't a Gus fan going in) but because he engaged so very often, I felt like the literally running was forgivable as "I HAVE to get away from this takedown." Obviously you give up aggression, but you avoid losing the round due to the ridiculous weight on takedowns.

I thought maybe he had hurt his jaw. Especially with the awkward way he was covering up.

Now that we finally see Jones get tagged over and over is it weird to anyone else how he reacts? He doesn't really circle out or do any lateral movements but instead stays stationary and turns his head away. I kept thinking if Gus would have kept throwing he may have caught Jones doing this. Its weird to see because he kept doing it over and over every time he got hit.

Did anyone else notice this?

In the rematch, Gus will exploit this weakness I guess. I hope so

I noticed that too. He did it at least 10 times. Clearly he doesn't like getting hit. His chin is better than I anticipated or have given him credit for.

Still a terrible idea to react like that in a fight and will likely work against him or come back to haunt him at some point.

Back