Jones' Fight IQ.

Jas Hanz

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I hate the term fight IQ, but Jones showed he has Jedi level fight IQ last night. He knows his opponent's strengths and weakness' as well or better than he knows his own. Those duck in, upward back elbows, the hand fighting, the TD's and TDD, the clinch work...Jones was just honestly better everywhere last night.

I am a DC fan, but I knew what was up after the first round, and even after DC won rd. 2. I know DC has the tools, but without refining the gameplan significantly, Jones wins 9 times out of 10 IMHO.

Without fighter bashing, what would you tell DC as his coach?

Actually he likes beating people where they are best at. Not that his fight IQ isn't high, but his skills are at such a high level that he wants to beat you at your own game.

Like he said, he wanted to beat cormier in the clinch, take him down, and out grind him.

Your examples are wrong, however his fight IQ/skills are elite none the less.

Fake a takedown and blast him with an overhand. Or just wrassle. Or mix it up. Whatever.

Actually he likes beating people where they are best at. Not that his fight IQ isn't high, but his skills are at such a high level that he wants to beat you at your own game.

Like he said, he wanted to beat cormier in the clinch, take him down, and out grind him.

Your examples are wrong, however his fight IQ/skills are elite none the less.

How are my examples wrong? They are the same as yours, essentially. I would think having the brains to maximize your skillset and minimize your opponent's would be the very definition of " fight IQ".

I love jones and i think his fight iq has room for improvement

he needs to fight like Sonnen against Silva the first time and just make the fight about wrestling and top control. If he can't get Jones down, well then he can't beat him. He didn't really try to do that in the first few rounds. His boxing and clinching worked against HWs but not jones. And considering how judges score TDs he could get 1 or a round and win.

Back