Media Jones feels like he could beat Stipe in HW title fight

Do you think Jon could beat Stipe in HW title fight ?

• Total voters
No he hasnt fought HWs. He has fought guys who at one point had some fights at HW. There is a difference in that. HWs Not only punch way harder ,but their strenght also benefits their grappling and clinch work.
Jones can definetly win against decent HWs but the risk is pretty high. Its pretty obvious that Jones HAS had the biggest problems fighting guys similar to his size. HW is a whole different story, everybody who has sparred with a true HW knows this.

I like the way you dismiss this as just "one" :D

The truth is it's a pretty fucking big one to have. Good boxing and punching power goes a long way in the UFC. A basic amateur boxer in Gus arguably beat Jones in their first fight.

Stipe is a bigger, harder hitting, better boxer than Gus and Santos, and combined with his size, strength, and solid wrestling has easily the best chance to beat Jones out of anyone in the UFC.

Jones probably has the hardest time against big HW's. The risk to lose is higher, which is likely a big part of why he's stayed at LHW. He beat 4 guys who'd be small to average HW's and those fights were one-sided. Stipe isn't a big HW. The biggest threat he brings is punching power coupled with height. Not an easy fight, but I think it stays at range.

Gus is a better boxer than Stipe. Better footwork, better combinations, significantly better counters and more speed. Defense isn't a key thing. Both Gus and Stipe lack in that area. Jones landing or not won't decide it. But Jones isn't a good boxer, so everyone he fights has an advantage there.

Well then...

tenor.gif

What's the hold up brah??

I think he takes it. Would have advantages with speed and cardio. Stipe should have more power. Thing is if DC couldn't take Jones down and control him I highly doubt Stipe would either. I think Jones takes a boring UD

Back