Media Jones feels like he could beat Stipe in HW title fight

Do you think Jon could beat Stipe in HW title fight ?

• Total voters
I don't think Jones will move up unless there is a dominant champ. There is no upside for him. He is a draw at LHW and if he fights at HW there is no one who will help pull in more viewers.
Maybe if Stipe beat DC in their first fight Jones would have someone on his level of pulling power.
If he beats Stipe he beat the guy DC beat.

Jones is a better fighter than Stipe, who got KO'd by DC and Struve. Technically it isn't close. Boxing is the one area where Stipe's better, and he's got more punching power. Yet Stipe's hittable, even vulnerable to volume, not only single shots. Overall striking goes to JJ, as do other areas.
Jones has never faced anyone with heavy hands like Stipe. In heavyweight, half of the fighters have Rumble level power.

As we saw in Stipe vs DC 2, fights can change quickly in HW. It's just one shot that Stipe needs to put Jones in a very bad place. Jones is afraid of that, even though he is more likely to win than not.

Stipe is old now, Jones win this

Jones has never faced anyone with heavy hands like Stipe. In heavyweight, half of the fighters have Rumble level power.

As we saw in Stipe vs DC 2, fights can change quickly in HW. It's just one shot that Stipe needs to put Jones in a very bad place. Jones is afraid of that, even though he is more likely to win than not.
Jones dominated Shogun and Rampage. Guys with KO power, more speed and good technical ability. The knock on Jon is that he hasn't fought at HW, yet he's faced HW's and big hitters...basically all styles already.

He would do it easily. If fat as shit Daniel KO'd stipe in the first and was dominating the second fight easily until got caught Jones would rip through the HW division. Granted that most of those fighters have the punchers chance in that division and that is probably the reason Jones has no interest in that shit division.

he definitely can, now only if his corners would stop being a bunch of pussys and encourage the guy to move up

Of coarse he does, Stipe is already half blind and Jones thinks he can finish the job.

But seriously, I believe Stipe would back Jones up to the fence and then tko him.

Jones is a better fighter than Stipe, who got KO'd by DC and Struve. Technically it isn't close. Boxing is the one area where Stipe's better, and he's got more punching power. Yet Stipe's hittable, even vulnerable to volume, not only single shots. Overall striking goes to JJ, as do other areas.

I like the way you dismiss this as just "one" :D

The truth is it's a pretty fucking big one to have. Good boxing and punching power goes a long way in the UFC. A basic amateur boxer in Gus arguably beat Jones in their first fight.

Stipe is a bigger, harder hitting, better boxer than Gus and Santos, and combined with his size, strength, and solid wrestling has easily the best chance to beat Jones out of anyone in the UFC.

Jones dominated Shogun and Rampage. Guys with KO power, more speed and good technical ability. The knock on Jon is that he hasn't fought at HW, yet he's faced HW's and big hitters...basically all styles already.
No he hasnt fought HWs. He has fought guys who at one point had some fights at HW. There is a difference in that. HWs Not only punch way harder ,but their strenght also benefits their grappling and clinch work.
Jones can definetly win against decent HWs but the risk is pretty high. Its pretty obvious that Jones HAS had the biggest problems fighting guys similar to his size. HW is a whole different story, everybody who has sparred with a true HW knows this.

I said I don't know.

I don't have enough confidence voting for him to beat those guys at HW until he has the confidence to actually do it. I don't particularly think Stipe is his hardest match up there. A fight with Ngannou would interest me more.

There’s a reason why Jones is hiding at LHW

Him leading off with "based on his performances with DC" reminds me of when DC said after Jones' OSP fight—
"...very disappointed that I didn't get to compete tonight, because I do believe that if he showed up in the form that he did tonight or if this is the new Jon Jones, there's no way that guy can beat me."
If it's Stipe's last two fights that made him flipflop from his earlier cautiousness, when he was saying things like —
"Right now, Stipe is looking extremely impressive. And I believe if you get an extremely talented big guy versus an extremely talented little guy, I mean, a lot of the cards are in his favor"
then he better be careful that his optimism isn't similarly misplaced. Especially since Stipe isn't likely to do the kind of things that made Jones-Cormier 2 an NC.

Jones vs Cain
Jones Lesnar
Jones vs Miocic
Jones vs Werdum
Jones vs DC

All fights that have been speculated to happen in the HW and there has been nothing to show, ever.

Jones talking about HW is obviously just a marketing ploy by him to keep interest up. I'm fairly convinced that he's never planning to move up.
This.

No he hasnt fought HWs. He has fought guys who at one point had some fights at HW. There is a difference in that. HWs Not only punch way harder ,but their strenght also benefits their grappling and clinch work.
Jones can definetly win against decent HWs but the risk is pretty high. Its pretty obvious that Jones HAS had the biggest problems fighting guys similar to his size. HW is a whole different story, everybody who has sparred with a true HW knows this.
Thank you.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Even then, without his eye pokes and needle pokes up his poop chute, he's just a rangy Greco wrestler with good kicks.

A fast fighter with good hands and wrestling to back it up, who is also a HW gives Jones problems.

he wont move up! so stop talking jj

The only difference between lhw Cormier and hw Cormier is some extra belly fat and he does just fine against Stipe.

I think Jones would win. Ngannou is a more dangerous fight for him.

Back