Jones fans: How exactly did Bones win round 2 vs Gus again?

First 3 rounds were 10-10

Final two rounds go to Jones because he got the knockdown and came through when it mattered most like a champion

I have to think he's referring to the spinning elbow that rocked Gus in round 4. It definitely rocked him, but it wasn't a knockdown.

Yup, it wasn't a knockdown and shouldn't be considered or scored like one.

I'm rewatching the fight now. Jones had a nice elbow, tons of leg kicks, and landed 3 or so flush head kicks. Gus didn't have much significant offense. I'd say round 2 was much clearer for Jones that round 1 was for Gus.

Am I the only one who gave Jones round 1?

I'm rewatching now. I slightly lean Gus but wouldn't disagree with a score for Jones. Gus had a few power shots and Jones had the volume. The takedown Gus landed wasn't as big of a deal as most make it out to be, Jones was on his back for about 6 seconds and that's it. Still, the takedown is what made me score the round for Gus. The stand-up was pretty much even to me.

Seriously. Jones hit him more, and with more clean power strikes, and had the most "significant" strike, an elbow, in that round.
And why do you need to be a fan to have eyes and common sense?

Last edited:
Jones scored a draw at best. Judges scores were quite suspicious.

Regardless, the judges as incompetent as they may be rendered their decision.

Now it's rematch time.

I'd call it more suspicious to give someone besides the champ a win in that fight, as would the judges, and peoples who cover MMA for a living besides BJPenn. It was a close fight no doubt, but people are acting like a robbery took place when Jones was the rightful winner of a very tough fight & if you want to take a belt it needs to be decisive.

MEDIA SCORES
Nathan McCarter
BleacherReport.com 49-46 Jones
Brent Brookhouse
BloodyElbow.com 49-46 Jones
Mike Whitman
Sherdog.com 49-46 Jones
MMAJunkie.com 49-46 Jones
FightMetric.com 49-48 Jones
Cory Braiterman
MMAMania.com 48-47 Jones
Steven Rondina
BleacherReport.com 48-47 Jones
MMAWeekly.com 48-47 Jones
Luke Thomas
MMAFighting.com 48-47 Jones
Chris Nelson
Sherdog.com 48-47 Jones
TJ DeSantis
Sherdog.com 48-47 Jones
Jason Floyd
TheMMAReport.com 48-47 Jones
Adam Martin
Sportsnet.ca 48-47 Jones
Chase Raymond
BJPenn.com 47-48 Gustafsson

I'd call it more suspicious to give someone besides the champ a win in that fight, as would the judges, and peoples who cover MMA for a living besides BJPenn. It was a close fight no doubt, but people are acting like a robbery took place when Jones was the rightful winner of a very tough fight & if you want to take a belt it needs to be decisive.

I've seen all the scores before. A lot of incompetence there. I mean all those 49-46's....
They aren't doing themselves any favors in validity scoring fights so blatantly bias or idiotically.

Even hardcore Jones fans know it was not a 49-46 fight.

We all saw what we saw, the large majority of MMA fighters from the UFC and other orgs thought Gus won when posting about it in the twitter feed, and on every big MMA forum I've been to, the large majority of MMA fans had Gus winning as well. Even Jones looked surprised when he got the win. Those 49-46 scores are bogus and the 48-47's are pretty much given due to that idiotic notion that you need to finish or extremely dominate the current champ in order to take his belt or they just give it to the champ anyway even if he lost a close one, as you pointed out.

Last edited:
Those head kicks to Gus didnt affect him too much. After a few of those head kicks landed, Gus threw off some combos and never looked wobbled. Even that infamous elbow that Jones landed that basically won him the fight didn't 'wobble' him in the true sense of the definition. Yeah that elbow hurt him, but he never lost balance on his feet or stumble, let alone get knocked down. Also, this elbow happened in like the last min or so of the round, and up until that point, Gus was winning the WHOLE fight.

Jones couldn't take Gus down, and even got took down for the first time. Other than that in the rds 1-3, Jones was mainly kicking Gus to the body, whereas Gus was punching him in the face. I guess it depends on if you think the kicks to the body are worth more than punches to the head.

In the end, it was a GREAT fight, probably one of the best ones I've seen. It could go either way considering how MMA judging has been. I thought Gus won 3-2 at the closest.

I've seen all the scores before. A lot of incompetence there. I mean all those 49-46's....
They aren't doing themselves any favors in validity scoring fights so blatantly bias.

Even hardcore Jones fans know it was not a 49-46 fight.

We all saw what we saw, the large majority of MMA fighters from the UFC and other orgs thought Gus won when posting about it in the twitter feed, and on every big MMA forum I've been to, the large majority of fans had Gus winning as well. Those 49-46 scores are bogus and the 48-47's are pretty much given due to that idiotic notion that you need to finish or extremely dominate the current champ in order to take his belt or they just give it to the champ anyway even if he lost a close one, as you pointed out.

See, this is the problem with MMA's fanbase understanding of the current scoring system. The fight is not scored as a whole, it's scored round by round. Jones clearly won rounds 2,4,5 while Gus clearly won round 3. Round 1 was very close and could have gone either way, I personally side with Gus getting the round resulting in me scoring the bout 48-47 Jones. If a judge scored the close first round for Jones then the score would be 49-46. It doesn't mean the fight was a blow out. It's like those split decisions where the two judges score the fight 30-27 but each for a different fighter, it just means the rounds were close.

See, this is the problem with MMA's fanbase understanding of the current scoring system. The fight is not scored as a whole, it's scored round by round. Jones clearly won rounds 2,4,5 while Gus clearly won round 3. Round 1 was very close and could have gone either way, I personally side with Gus getting the round resulting in me scoring the bout 48-47 Jones. If a judge scored the close first round for Jones then the score would be 49-46. It doesn't mean the fight was a blow out. It's like those split decisions where the two judges score the fight 30-27 but each for a different fighter, it just means the rounds were close.

I understand exactly how it works bud... :rolleyes:

Can someone post gifs of all the head kicks ( i think 4) that J Jones threw, like 5 sec before it happens and then like 8secs after the kick to see how it effects Gus.

Also can someone post the elbow from the 4th rd and the following secs afterwards to see how it effected Gus?

So how can you say that 49-46 scores are bogus? Four of the rounds were pretty clear (2-5) and round 1 was close. Like I said, I scored round 1 for Gus but after watching the fight literally minutes ago I can attest to how close that round was. It's easy to see how Jones can get 4 rounds on the cards.

Can someone post gifs of all the head kicks ( i think 4) that J Jones threw, like 5 sec before it happens and then like 8secs after the kick to see how it effects Gus.

Also can someone post the elbow from the 4th rd and the following secs afterwards to see how it effected Gus?

Honestly Gus didn't react much to the headkicks until the 5th round but even then his reaction was minimal. When he got hit with the spinning elbow he retreated back quickly while rocked and ate a decent amount of strikes from Jones against the cage.

Back