Jones Eye Poking...Intentional?

Obviously

when you have a coach like Greg Jackson, they try and abuse every single rule so they can get the W

Still hurt from when Jones killed shogun?

He holds his hands and fingers in his opponents face on purpose, in order to measure distance and keep them at bay.

But it is a choice that he is conciously making, well knowing that endangers his opponents eyesight, and in a lot of his fights actually lead to eye pokes, in some cases multiple per fight.

He could choose to not hold his fingers in his opponents face, for example at neck height, again, he chooses not to do this. He could also choose not to employ the outstretched arm technique at all, he chooses not to, disreguarding the penalties and more importantly the dangers that it brings.

He is a selfish character with 0 honor and respect for anyone other than himself.

this, he points fingers near eyes so if they move up they get poked

He keeps his lead arm out with the hand open at his opponent's eye level on purpose. They can either stay at the range he thus establishes or they can be eyepoked. And it's BS. Anyone but Jones would be warned for this blatant behavior once and then a point would be taken.

It's without a doubt an intentional strategy.

The poll options are pretty bad.

Intentional is the wrong word

Unintentional isn't exactly right either though.

There's purposeful, which is where it was the actor's purpose to bring about that result - I don't think the eye pokes are purposeful.

Then there's knowingly, which is where the actor had some other purpose for his action but still knew that this other result would happen as a consequense - I think this one's close but still not right because not every time Jones reaches does he poke an eye; he doesn't KNOW that an eyepoke will result if he reaches, but he must know one might result. Still, the fact that eyepokes might result isn't enough; knowingly requires reasonable certainty that they will result.

Then there's recklessly and negligently. Recklessly is where you consciously disregard a substantial risk to the other person. Negligently is where you are just careless, and you neglect to consider what risk to others your actions have.

I think Jones's eyepokes are closest to recklessness. I struggle with this though because sometimes, he extends his fingers right in front of people's eyes (obviously reckless) but many times he puts his hand flat on people's heads or has his fingers above eye level, which IMO poses no danger and isn't even negligent.

So in sum, I think an average of about 1 time per fight Jones is reckless with eyepokes, and he is occasionally also negligent, but he is never knowingly or intentionally eyepoking. So the closest option on your poll is "no, unfortunate accident" although that wording assigns Jones less blame than I actually attribute to him, which is why I take issue with your poll options.

no, just unfortunate accidents

:rolleyes:

Not every time but when he charges forward with his fingers open like in the Rampage and Glover fights... Its hard to say thats not intentional

At first when JOHN was telling me that he is really into Poker I didn't think anything of it at the time, but I have not seen him play poker sooo you maybe onto something TS:D

Well, let me put it this way:

I don't think Jon Jones is thinking to himself "here's my chance to poke him in the eyes." But I do think he intentionally sticks his fingers in his opponent's face, knowing that doing so is very likely to result in an eye poke. So I would hardly call them "accidents," either.

I love how "eye pokes" became the new "he's fake", "he's just big", "w/o his reach he's a loser", "Always fights smaller MW fighters".

I know it's become a sherdog meme but it's hard to tell sometimes who actually believes it and who is just mean girl hatin'.

And the butthurt Gus fans have entered. Most of them have disappeared since it was announced Jones was fighting DC instead lol.

What's the logic of that? Gustafsson has more eyepokes than Jones.

I think that when he started with the palm in the face thing, he wasn't thinking on hitting the eyes, but soon realized that this was a good strategy so he just kept going.

What's the logic of that? Gustafsson has more eyepokes than Jones.

No but Gus is a great guy. He was only convicted of over 10-assaults including two on women so his eyepokes are never intentional.

But Jones is cocky and one time he drove drunk (which over 1/3 of Americans admit to doing in the last year) so he can't be trusted and all his eyepokes are on purpose.

I love Jon, but this gif defies explanation:

fingers4.gif

Generally I think it's accidental, but with Rampage, he got pretty bad there for a minute.

FFS he doesnt try to POKE in the eye.

But Jones puts his hand on/before opponenet face to control him - its inevitable that at some point Jones fingers get in the eye with these gloves.

Either change gloves or make it mandatory to close a fist when your hand is near opponents face.

Oh shut the fuck up idiot. Name one other Greg Jackson fighter who's known for ever eye poking you clown.

You sound bitter.

Greg Jackson is an overrated coach

it is part of the gameplan, for them it's to win, even if it is bending the rules a little bit

Just like the gif of the Rampage fight above you idiot, and you can clearly tell who the hell told him to do that and why it would be a good idea to do it to a guy like rampage,

Im giving him the benefit of the doubt by saying 'most of the time'..

Not intentional, but since nothing happens, he will continue to be reckless.

If Big John is not reffing tonight, expect atleast 1 eye poke from JJ.

..And nobody would be surprised if it happened either, that's the sad part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back