1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Jones Didn't Look Himself

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MRDOG, Feb 9, 2020.

1. MRDOG Brown Belt

With the amount of Jones/ Reyes topics being created, I haven't seen one discussing what I thought was a fight of Jones in which he wasn't near his A game.

From the get go he looked tentative to me. He kept octagon control but didn't do very much with it. He showed a couple instances of urgency but for the most part it seemed to me he was content with walking Reyes down.

I had Reyes winning 3-2 in a competive but easy to score fight. I think Jones will be a much tougher fight for Reyes when they eventualy meet in the octagon again.

Did anyone else notice (feel) as if there might of been something wrong with Jones in this fight? Possibly an undisclosed injury. He just didn't seem to be completely in the fight. Its possible he was being cautious of Reyes power or are we witnessing the start of the decline of Jones (he's been on top for a long time fighting 5 rounders, its all bound to catch up with him at some point).

2. nevernamed Brown Belt

I thought it was strange he lost 8lbs of muscle.. That has been weighing on my mind since friday as a little odd.. I know they credit it to a vegan diet, but he didn't look faster, or sharper, or better in any way..

3. MichiganMMA1978 Brown Belt

He ran out of picos is all. He'll get more, nothing to see here....

4. Nate banged my mom Banned Banned

You know he a snorted a big line last night like himself tho

5. LilNicky95 Black Belt

You could be on to something TS, Jones May have tore his ACL early chasing after Reyes.

6. themiketoth Orange Belt

He didn’t lose 8lbs of muscle LOL. He lost some extra fat and glycogen in the muscles. Maybe he lost 1lb of muscle. 8lbs of muscle is over Half an inch circumference on an arm to put in perspective

7. Natesblackshirt Banned Banned

You really think Jones went Vegan with bangers like the new Popeyes chicken sandwich out? Not buying it.

8. MRDOG Brown Belt

Watching him walk in and then watching the fight, I'm not going to lie, that thougth crossed my mind.

9. markys00 Silver Belt

He did what he always does.

He outblanked the blanker

Outboxed the boxer in this case. He always tries to beat his opponent in what he's best at

10. Lifeform Donk Donkerson Banned

11. KeepItRealist Gold Belt

Maybe he'll claim he didn't train again?

And then Rogan will repeat that claim as fact. Jones was juiced vs Gus in the first fight too by his own admission.

[​IMG]

12. My name is Shawn

He didn't come out with his normal energy/intensity he seemed kinda chill for most of the fight

13. Ideanudge Banned Banned

He looked every bit himself. Reyes just brought it to him and wasn't a mental midget like Jones' past opponents who let Jones control the pace.

14. themmahistorian White Belt

15. egk Gold Belt

lol you're right. Someone posted that bogus topic and It's sad when people get their MMA "news" from trolling headlines on here. They don't bother to read the articles or view the accompanying video interviews.

16. clackers Purple Belt

Jones looked great but he was very cautious at times I felt he was showing respect to Reyes powered but having said that Reyes punches didn't hurt Jones

I think the game plane made Jones cautious to avoid the Ko punches

At times Jones was coming forward and Reyes was doing absolutely nothing and Jones was being very very cautious where I think when Jones looks back at the fight he see alot of missed opportunities

But then again Jones won the fight so it's into the next opponent now

17. GranNaniwa Blue Belt

Jon Jones has been on top of his division for nearly a decade now. That's about the amount of time where most of the consensus GOATs started to fall off. Honestly, you can say what you want about Jones, but he's the last long reigning dominant champ that we have left. I don't know when we will see another true GOAT contender in the current era of money fights.

18. Mamou Black Belt

He probably passed all his drug tests this time

19. MRDOG Brown Belt

None of that happened.

Jones got out boxed via Reyes constant movement. Reyes landed the harder shots and landed more shots. Moving forward but losing the striking isn't how to outbox someone.

20. MRDOG Brown Belt

That's what I thought as well, seemed as if he was just chilling in there being content with walking down his opponent while being tentative to attack.

Respecting Reyes power could very well be the reason. I thought Reyes for the most part was much more active than Jones was. I think we also have to look at the possibility that Jones might of peaked, hes been in allot of 5 round fights and they might be catching up to him.

21. Intellidamus Title Belt

Cliffs: Steroids don’t help but I took them anyway.