Media Jones demanding 50 million to fight Ngannou ?

He was teasing to go to HW for like 8 years, never did it and now suddenly money is the issue.

Hes been expressing money issues for years now and this is probably one of the biggest fights ever.

Why shouldn't he or any fighter make money an issue?

Last edited:
I'd fight Francis for 1 mill usd

Sign me up Dana

Bob Sapp. Never pay a big draw to just show. Jones will try to win or at least keep his brain in tact but self preservation with money bag in bag means big risk of a flop. Pay Jones a big win bonus and $50K per shot whoever gets hit.
Why would you ever do that lol. Imposing a win bonus doesn't get the UFC more buys, that money is already collected. It just screws over fighters, just like the standard show/win structure
Jon is asking for more guarantee pay which the UFC can't make good on. If he was just asking for more ppv points per sales I'm sure the ufc would happily agree as the burden would be on him to sell
Why can't the UFC make good on a larger guarantee? They themselves are guaranteed 30 million without selling a ticket or PPV buy.
The fact that the UFC can't (or won't) pay the undefeated GOAT of their sport 50 million to go up in weight and fight the champ is embarrassing for the sport.

Tyson Fury and AJ are both getting 100 million each for their fight, and neither of them is even close to the GOAT of their division and neither of them is undefeated or stepping up in weight.

Boxing > MMA.... even in 2021
It's pathetic that boxers 30, 40, 50 years ago were making more money than Jones today. Without adjusting for inflation.
Boxers don’t even get that much. What the fuck is Jon smoking

Fury v Wilder 2 was one of the biggest boxing events in recent memory, they both only got guaranteed $25 million, and a percentage of PPV revenue.

Jon is NOT Tyson Fury famous.
Jones pulls in more buys than Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder.

I still think it’s not realistic to expect this fight to sell 1.5M ppv. There’s absolutely no reason to even think that. It would take Jones’ top 2 selling ppv headliners added together to reach that kind of number. That’s a provable fact. He is not that kind of draw. So anything more than an upfront payment of $5M maximum plus ppv points is just ridiculous.

All this talk of biggest selling fight ever by his fans is delusional. And they know it. Him, his team, and his fans are just trying to give him an easy out. If the guy had any faith this fight could do those numbers he’d jump at a Conor/Khabib type deal. Which is what I just outlined. $5M plus points.

If this fight doesn’t happen it won’t because the UFC didn’t want to pay fair market value compared to it’s biggest stars. It’ll be because Jones didn’t want the fight.
What percentage of event revenue is fair market share?

And if the UFC can't sell more than a million buys between one of their GOATS and their coming man at HW, that's because they aren't good at promoting. This fight is laughably easy to promote.

Why would you ever do that lol. Imposing a win bonus doesn't get the UFC more buys, that money is already collected. It just screws over fighters, just like the standard show/win structure

Why can't the UFC make good on a larger guarantee? They themselves are guaranteed 30 million without selling a ticket or PPV buy.

It's pathetic that boxers 30, 40, 50 years ago were making more money than Jones today. Without adjusting for inflation.

Jones pulls in more buys than Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder.

Just did a quick google search and it says Tyson Wilder 2 pulled in about 850k, which is on par with JBJ's biggest PPV. The numbers were not released for his last two PPV's but before that it was against Cormier. Can't think he is doing that well as the 800k was vs cormier back in 2017

Just did a quick google search and it says Tyson Wilder 2 pulled in about 850k, which is on par with JBJ's biggest PPV. The numbers were not released for his last two PPV's but before that it was against Cormier. Can't think he is doing that well as the 800k was vs cormier back in 2017
800k is massive given the only ppl who can match or beat that in the UFC are Conor, Masvidal or Nate depending on match-up, and Izzy. So yeah, the Jones pay issue isn't about the pie being too small, it's about divying it up

UFC pays conrad 5 million base, and you think they should give jon a base pay of 50 million?

Winklejohn is a moron

He is probably going for 15 mil$... saying 50 mil$ has a starting position for negociation

1.5m buys at $60 is $90m and under the old cable provider system they'd take half that, you gotta assume ESPN is taking at least a 40% cut then you gotta pay the rest of the card and all the UFC staff, there's a lot goes into it.

I'm not saying the fighters shouldn't get more but they're not going to get boxing money because those guys promote it on their own names.

Frances Vs Jones outside of the UFC banner independently would be lucky to break 500k.
Is that you Dana? So you are saying that only because there is a brand attached to it, just like HBO, Showtime, DAZN, Top Rank, they dont deserve a decent similar cut of the money? Only because they fight in an octagon cage instead of a ring it doesnt make it that much different, people pay to watch, they should get boxing money too.

I don't think the money really matters. I mean obviously it does as of course he wants more money (as does his coach who gets 5% lol), but he's moving up regardless.

All you have to do is check his Instagram and see that he's been putting in the work to build athletic mass, and it's clearly happening as I believe he's said he's somewhere around 250 now and with a six pack. This isn't like his powerlifting days during his suspension where he was just lifting as heavy as possible and his increased size was a consequence of that, he's pretty clearly still doing tons of functional training. Last night he was doing sled pulls and posting sprints.

So Jones is putting on weight, while building a big athletic body. It's fairly obvious he has some kind of athletic competition in mind that requires him to be that big. Maybe he doesn't fight Ngannou, or even in MMA period, but he clearly actually is moving up to be a HW sized athlete for some reason. It's not some grift like before where he just teased it. This time he's clearly actually gone and worked his way up, and is continuing to do so, and so it's silly to say that this time Jones is just playing it up.

Something is happening. I'm sure he probably did ask for an absurd amount, but I'm sure he (and Dana) also both know what the amount will truly be that will cause Jones to accept. Jones is getting to where he feels good enough at the weight to come forward for a bout, and Dana isn't going to risk missing Jones' HW debut knowing how long it took Jones to even get ready for that point.

Even though Jones said 8-10 Mil was too low, I have a hard time buying that if he had a full guarantee of 10 Mil Jones is passing on the fight.. The problem likely lies in Dana wanting it all to come down to the PPV Bonus structure. The fight needs to sell huge for Jones to cash in.

And Jones wants a full large guarantee regardless of buy rates.

I don't think the money really matters. I mean obviously it does as of course he wants more money (as does his coach who gets 5% lol), but he's moving up regardless.

All you have to do is check his Instagram and see that he's been putting in the work to build athletic mass, and it's clearly happening as I believe he's said he's somewhere around 250 now and with a six pack. This isn't like his powerlifting days during his suspension where he was just lifting as heavy as possible and his increased size was a consequence of that, he's pretty clearly still doing tons of functional training. Last night he was doing sled pulls and posting sprints.

So Jones is putting on weight, while building a big athletic body. It's fairly obvious he has some kind of athletic competition in mind that requires him to be that big. Maybe he doesn't fight Ngannou, or even in MMA period, but he clearly actually is moving up to be a HW sized athlete for some reason. It's not some grift like before where he just teased it. This time he's clearly actually gone and worked his way up, and is continuing to do so, and so it's silly to say that this time Jones is just playing it up.

Something is happening. I'm sure he probably did ask for an absurd amount, but I'm sure he (and Dana) also both know what the amount will truly be that will cause Jones to accept. Jones is getting to where he feels good enough at the weight to come forward for a bout, and Dana isn't going to risk missing Jones' HW debut knowing how long it took Jones to even get ready for that point.

Going back down to LHW at this stage would be a mistake.. He's nearly 34 and put on too much mass. It is HW or nothing for him IMO..

Pay em. He’s a shithead and a cheat but he’s the LHW GOAT, he’s controlled the division for a decade and fought everyone they wanted him to fight. Shertards are funny, they piss and moan about how unfair the pay structure is, then when someone comes along and demands that someone other than Dana and Conor make money they start calling him a duck and crying about this and that.
Pay em or call off the fight. Y’all can watch Conor’s Instagram videos that night instead.
Yeah 100%.

Sherdog bitches about fighter pay and the best fighter to every do it asks to get paid more and sherdog says "shut up and fight."

They want Nate Diaz to get paid garbage trucks full of money but want Jon to fight for 40/40.

Nobody is going to fault Jones for wanting more money. But nobody can deny how suspect it is that after teasing going up for years and then officially announcing it...he sees Ngannou win and then starts a whole financial issue and even asks to get cut.

Nobody is going to fault Jones for wanting more money. But nobody can deny how suspect it is that after teasing going up for years and then officially announcing it...he sees Ngannou win and then starts a whole financial issue and even asks to get cut.
Hes subsequently cleared out LHW a few times, remained undefeated and now has the opportunity to fight the most dangerous HW ever,
Its really not that strange.
He explains pretty simply here (from last year)-

800k is massive given the only ppl who can match or beat that in the UFC are Conor, Masvidal or Nate depending on match-up, and Izzy. So yeah, the Jones pay issue isn't about the pie being too small, it's about divying it up

I didn't get a chance to look it up yet, but has Nate ever done numbers on a PPV besides Conor?

Back