Jones/DC was closer than everyone is making it sound

Pitier of Fools

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Although the judges scored it 49-46 for some reason, I think it was pretty clear DC won rounds 2 and 3. It was a 48-47 fight. DC was one round away from winning, and the first round was a very competitive round.

Props to Jones for beating a worthy opponent, but there's no doubt these two will fight again, and I wouldn't count DC out.

Picture1_zps59b2d099.jpg

It wasn't close as in there was doubt on who the actual winner was. The winner was without a doubt Jones. No controversy. No need to watch the fight a second time.

However, I agree with you. It wasn't a lopsided beating that left DC a mess. It was a close fight the first 3 rounds, and after that DC gassed and Jones got to score more. It wasn't total domination. It wasn't humiliation. Not once were any of the competitors in any sort of danger.

It was a fight to show the fans that Jones is still King, and DC - even though he's a god-damn amazing specimen - isn't the man to dethrone the king.

It may have not been a GSP type of domination, but it was obvious Jones clearly won.

Last edited:
The amazing thing is the way Jones fought. He mixed things together pretty good, high kick low kick body kick elbow clinch knee kick... It seems the only way to beat him is legit striker with reach and td defense

From my table side view it wasn't that close at all as a Jones supporter I was fearing that this could be a close fight. But Jones was all business went to work and cashed out on DC's ass.

Although the judges scored it 49-46 for some reason, I think it was pretty clear DC won rounds 2 and 3. It was a 48-47 fight. DC was one round away from winning, and the first round was a very competitive round.

its simple, the judges were correct, most people are correct, you're incorrect. it happens.

cormier himself said that jones took the momentum, meaning the rounds after the second. and he said he didnt get going till the very end of the first, which means he knows he lost the first round. so, ya, you're simply wrong on this one

He needed to win 2 more rounds than he did.

yeah it was, and it couldve been even closer if DC didnt get such a bad start. His boxing looked great at times.

Um it's very clear how it was judged 49-46 and that's exactly how I judged it regardless of how much I wanted DC to win.

DC won round 2.
Round 3 was a very close one and the only one I found it tough to score.
In no way was it 'clear' that DC won round 3.

Gotta agree, although I thought Jones won round 1. He could easily of lost a point for the eye poke though, its blatant cheating and needs to be stopped

It was kinda close. But Jones won more rounds. The score was fair.

I hate Jones, by the way.

DC offered absolutely nothing and that's being generous. He talked and talked and it didn't make a difference.

I thought DC won rounds 2 and 3 as well, but in the end JBJ was the clear winner. he def took over round 4 and 5 was just a hug fest. If DC had been able to at least give it a bit more gas he may have been able to try and take the fifth, but in the end the better guy def won last night.

Well TS, glad you thought DC "clearly" won round 3. Plenty of us (and the majority of the media scorecards) along with the judges thought Jones won it. So 49-46 is how most people saw the fight.

DC was game and got beaten fairly handily by a better fighter. He didn't get steamrolled, had his moments, but lost somewhat convincingly. Considering he was facing possibly the best guy that's ever stepped into the cage, I'd say he doesn't really have anything to be ashamed of.

Jones easily won this fight due to his reach advantage. Jones showed every fighter that is much taller and has a longer reach over their opponent how to use it. DC got punished every time he tried to close the distance. It's very hard to take down an opponent that is much taller than you and has very good TDD as Jones showed last night.

I somewhat agree with this. I wouldn't sY rd three was clearly DC's but I can see an argument for it. Moreover Jones won rounds 4-5 by essentially stalling.

Back