Jones -Cormier rewatching

When each round is very close and when the winner eats a million shots to the head

Exactly. Or, when every round is a razor-thin decision in itself. 10 Point Must might allow for a 50-45 fight, but it does not always mean "domination."

DC took round 3, round 2 was not clear, rest of them going to JJ

I gave 3 rounds to Jones and 2 to DC

I cannot stand DC, but Jones didn't take 4 rounds

I've seen the fight twice I gave Jones 1,4,5 without a doubt. Two and Three are really close. Those rounds are so close I wouldn't argue either way. Even when I remember DC dominating round 2 I went back and watched it and it was so close I even slightly favored Jones.

when is winning 4 rounds to 1 not a dominant performance?

It was dominant considering everything that happened during the build up to the fight. Considering DC was an undefeated Heavy Weight who never lost a round to anyone who came down to Light Heavy and finished his first 2 opponents, one by KO, one by sub. It was dominant considering the consensus around here was that DC would not only compete with Jones but beat him and throw him on his head. Beating DC 4 rounds to 1 and out wrestling him is priceless.

Rounds 1 and 3 were close, but I think Jones took them both. Cormier clearly won Round 2, and Jones clearly won 4 and 5. So I had it 4-1 Jones (same as against Gus).

Round 1 ... Jones ... good round for both but Jones clearly did get the better of DC overall in this round.

Round 2 ... DC ... Same as round one but this time DC clearly did better than Jones.

Round 3 ... Jones but DC was winning before the eye poke. Very close round overall. Could be or SHOULD have been a 10-10. IMO rounds this close shouldn't go to either guy.

Round 4 ... CLEARLY Jones in dominant fashion. DC gave up and was exxhuased.

Round 5 ... a bit closer since there was almost zero offense but Jones takes it via Randy Couture wall and stall. IF DC actually did some GNP with that takedown ... it could have been his

So 4-1 in favor of Jones but rounds 3 and 5 were winnable for DC had he done a bit more ... or didn't get his momentum stopped after the eye poke.

I've seen the fight twice I gave Jones 1,4,5 without a doubt. Two and Three are really close. Those rounds are so close I wouldn't argue either way. Even when I remember DC dominating round 2 I went back and watched it and it was so close I even slightly favored Jones.

I've watched the fight three times, and the last couple of times I watched it I was surprised that r2 was generally seen as THE round for Cormier, and the 3rd as the close one.

I actually, upon rewatching, had Jones winning the second and the 3rd closer.

From a points standpoint, Jon did what he needed to do to win here.

But many of the rounds were quite close imho, and this fight, and the amount of damage inflicted by both guys, still made it a VERY competitive fight.

Anyone saying this was a lop-sided domination simply isn't being honest, or did not watch the fight closely. Jones won, but it was a very competitive, back and forth battle.

I had it 49-46 Jones. Only round I gave DC is round 2. 3 was close, but I thought Jones took it. And 1 was also close, but not as close as 3.
This is how I scored it. DC fought well for the first three, but got edged out, while gaining the 2nd. Jones took over in the championship rounds.

when is winning 4 rounds to 1 not a dominant performance?
Because with the way MMA is scored, you can have competitive rounds which still go towards a given fighter, via 10-9 scoring. With the near refusal to give 10-8 rounds (or less), it's almost impossible to tell what a dominant fight is, strictly by looking at rounds won.

Of course, the phrase "dominant performance" can mean a lot of things, depending on who you ask. Watching a score and watching a fight will tell two different tales.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back