Jones beat fighters past their prime.... Myth

I don't personally think he's considerably slower.
He's now doing much worse vs MW Santos and green Reyes than he did against veterans Machida, Page, Evans... there must be some reason, right?

Why do people say this? Jones beat these guys when he was still fairly new to the sport and they were in their early 30's

Rampage was 33
ufc-416x234.jpg

Machida was 33
1500248405_hqdefault.jpg

Shogun was 29
Screen-shot-2014-04-10-at-4.30.28-AM.png

Rashad was 32, Bader was in his 20's, Glover 34, TRT Vitor 34 and the list goes on.

Seems to me like people just can't accept that their favourites got beaten and they'd rather call them past their prime than admit that he was just a phenom. He's definitely slowed down recently and lost his killer instinct, but stop making shit up about the past.
They all was on steroids too, RIP all Brazilians Champions before USADA come only Nunes left

Jones fanbase in full defence mode these days. And somehow peds never appear in their posts. It’s laughable.

Because everyone is on peds

Besides, all the peds jones & anderson may have taken throughout their career combined don't even add up to a weekly dose of ped used by a pride fighter.

Rua didn’t fight anyone in Pride that was as well rounded and athletic as Jones. It’s easier to look great against lesser opposition.
Mostly i agree with you, but shogi was done before ufc. He had bad knees around 25yrs old and broken arm from Coleman fight. Some bodies arent meant to train everyday,let alone fighting. On the other hand Rua had his best showing in ufc wright before he fought jbj (shogun-machida 2)

Don't worry TS, Jonny is now past his prime too, you can use that as an excuse when he officially loses.

Prime in combat sports has nothing to do with age.

What is it then?
It could be a number of things. Less confidence, the fact that there is now so much footage of him he’s easier to prepare for, increased confidence of opponents as he’s not finishing fights as quickly etc... a few years ago Jones was trying and being effective with something new every fight. That’s hard to plan for.

It could be a number of things. Less confidence, the fact that there is now so much footage of him he’s easier to prepare for, increased confidence of opponents as he’s not finishing fights as quickly etc... a few years ago Jones was trying and being effective with something new every fight. That’s hard to plan for.
Less confidence??
Why in the world would he have Less confidence?

Why do people say this? Jones beat these guys when he was still fairly new to the sport and they were in their early 30's

Rampage was 33
ufc-416x234.jpg

Machida was 33
1500248405_hqdefault.jpg

Shogun was 29
Screen-shot-2014-04-10-at-4.30.28-AM.png

Rashad was 32, Bader was in his 20's, Glover 34, TRT Vitor 34 and the list goes on.

Seems to me like people just can't accept that their favourites got beaten and they'd rather call them past their prime than admit that he was just a phenom. He's definitely slowed down recently and lost his killer instinct, but stop making shit up about the past.
I think most of them were past prime, but not Machida and Evans. Glover idk, probably near prime. Prime or not these dudes got smoked, prime or not impressive wins

Rampage wasn't in his prime when he could no longer wrestle, his prime ended with the Hendo fight, after that he couldn't wrestle cause of back and knee problems. Machida I will say was in his prime due to lack of injuries and wear and tear. Shogun had blown out his knees multiple times by the time he fought Jones and he was a kick heavy fighter.

Just cause guys are still winning more than losing doesn't mean they are in their primes, you have to watch how they perform, not just the results.
Bull shit let he’s ever fightters had great proformances in their primes and Rampage didn’t have knee problems until Jon kicked them both backwards. They were in their primes.

I think most of them were past prime, but not Machida and Evans. Glover idk, probably near prime. Prime or not these dudes got smoked, prime or not impressive wins
Gus was in his prime both fights

Rampage was in his prime

Shogun was rusty but not past his prime

Rashad was most def. in his prime

Machida was in his prime

Dc was in his prime

Glover was on a smoking hot win streak 20 fights straight in his prime then lost to Jon

Dumb thread. Prime isn't determined by age but my mileage.

Shogun wasn't in his prime when he fought Jones while Cormier was.

Rampage's prime started after his loss to Sakuraba(his sub defense improved a lot after this fight) and ended with his fight with Hendo. After that fight he didn't wrestle offensively anymore and threw even less kicks and knees than he used to.
Have you ever broken a bone in your foot it henders shots dramatically going forward especially if it’s your lead leg. Not as fast or as swift as before. Shooting can become a thing of the past at that point he’s have to rely on setting up all his take downs or trying to take down your opponent up against the cage because of how slow the shot becomes JOns toe twisted and damn near broke off you can’t tell me that toe healed to be exactly the way it was prior.

And Jon also did an interview where he said his arm couldn’t extend all the way anymore because of the Vitor fight.

Last edited:
33 years is old in fight age. Especially if they started fighting at 18.

Look at most fighters' careers and they usually don't stay good more than 10 years.

Why are you just listing age as if wear and tear and years and years of fighting don't matter?
Exactly. And Bader didn't find his stride and hit his prime until getting to Bellator. Shogun was shop worn before 30. Rampage was in his prime in Pride IMO.

Jones is beast, but he benefited from timing like Weidman did when he was beating up old Brazilian and such.

Rampage wasn’t

Shogun wasn’t

Machida wasn’t

Gus/Rashad/DC are the only wins on jons resume that are worth a fuck but it’s not really Jons fault he came up at a time when the division was old and busted.

Less confidence??
Why in the world would he have Less confidence?

Rashad Talked about Jon when he was younger. Dude literally didn’t think he could lose and that’s why he had the gumption to do things like go for a flying knee straight out the gate against Shogun or the spinning shit he used to throw.

Why do you think that having close decisions and not being able to finish guys you used to wouldn’t affect your confidence?

Rampage wasn’t

Shogun wasn’t

Machida wasn’t

Gus/Rashad/DC are the only wins on jons resume that are worth a fuck but it’s not really Jons fault he came up at a time when the division was old and busted.

Machida had only lost 2 fights at that point. A split to Rampage and the title loss to Shogun. After he lost to Jones, he KOd Bader and beat Henderson. Dude was in his prime for sure.

Shogun was in his 20’s and coming off the back of winning the title.

Back