Jones beat fighters past their prime.... Myth

Jones beat prime fighters while past his prime... (with a Lil help from pulsing)

In the last 15 years, only 2 people have finished Rampage and one of those was another GOAT who finished a fat Rampage. It was an extremely impressive win.
Sure.

Wanna address my 2nd statement?

But if you wanna focus on age alone - Jones is now 32 and CONSIDERABLY slower than before. So why is it impossible to assume that his opponents aged 32+ were also CONSIDERABLY slower?

I'm not saying there were all "past prime" but Rampage's record of 32-9 says a lot about mileage and fight wear, don't you think?

But if you wanna focus on age alone - Jones is now 32 and CONSIDERABLY slower than before. So why is it impossible to assume that his opponents aged 32+ were also CONSIDERABLY slower?

Nice job destroying TS' argument with his own logic.

LMAO, you say i'm clutching at straws, that's exactly what you're doing here. There is no prove whatsoever that Jones toe injury has impacted him after it healed.
1. proof*
2. He's had it strapped up for fights ever since and he's said that it's an issue

Sure.

Wanna address my 2nd statement?

I don't personally think he's considerably slower.

Seems to me like people just can't accept that their favourites got beaten and they'd rather call them past their prime than admit that he was just a phenom.

Truth Hurtz...

-Lizzo

1. proof*
2. He's had it strapped up for fights ever since and he's said that it's an issue

1. There was nothing on his feet on Saturday, so that's a lie.

2. I have never heard him make that claim.

Rampage was 4-1, only losing to Rashaad when he fought Jon Jones...Machida beat Mousasi and Bader after his lost to Jones. Shogun just ko'd Machida before he fought Jon Jones...

Whats goood....

Then wtf is Rampage prime then....Only when he wins right. lol

Rampage easily lost his fight to Machida and evens aid so right as the 3rd round ended and he also lost to Keith Jardine for 14:50 of a fighter and only knocked him down at the end and somehow won the decision off of ONE punch. In his 4 fights before he had only beaten Matt Hamill. Lyoto Machida's win to get a title shot was Randy Couture lmao and Shogun was out of his prime by like age 27. Dude didn't have knees. By the time he came to the UFC he was a shell of his former self.

1. There was nothing on his feet on Saturday, so that's a lie.

2. I have never heard him make that claim.

Please look at the start of the fight and you can clearly see that his big toe is strapped, as it has been ever since his Chael fight (maybe there was one where it wasn't, but I don't recall that). No need to call me a liar, bro. That's not my style. I'm a no bias just MMA sorta guy ;)

Re the claims, it was in an interview. I can't find it, sadly, but I definitely heard it.

Please look at the start of the fight and you can clearly see that his big toe is strapped, as it has been ever since his Chael fight (maybe there was one where it wasn't, but I don't recall that). No need to call me a liar, bro. That's not my style. I'm a no bias just MMA sorta guy ;)

Re the claims, it was in an interview. I can't find it, sadly, but I definitely heard it.

Video doesn't load.

At 32, I think Jones is currently past his prime - whether due to age or accumulated injuries.
Same goes for several of his opponents.

Jones vs Gus 1 and Jones vs Cormier are the best examples of him taking on peer contemporaries at or near their respective peaks.

It wasn't obvious yet, but Shogun had definitely fallen off in one way or another. He entered that fight 3-2 in the UFC and proceeded to go 3-5 following the Jones loss. I spent that whole stretch in disbelief of his ongoing top-5 ranking. We're still pretending he's a top-15 fighter at 10-9-1 in the UFC.

Rampage seemed physically fine at the time he fought Jones, but he had devolved into a headhunter. Still, a rather good headhunter and a threat to anyone in the division.

Machida was, worst case, very near his peak. He'd only lost the one fight to Shogun, followed by the painfully uneventful SD loss to Rampage.

Rashad seemed to suffer a loss of confidence/swagger after the Machida KO, but he was still just as good -- a little safer and more tactical, maybe.

Vito℞ was a dangerous MW, thanks to the juice, who took a LHW fight on short-ish notice (~4 weeks).

Chael had plenty of prep time but he doesn't belong at LHW. He talked his way into that fight and he shouldn't have wasted everyone's time doing it. Freebie for Jon.

What a coincedence jones at 32 is starting to slow down and show wear and tear. He started early too, just like shogun.

The only opponents jon ever faced in the ufc that were younger than him were mw journeyman smith, and the man who just (according to 3/4 fans watching) beat him.

Jones has beaten the best from numerous eras

In just over one calendar year he beat
Bader
Shogun
Rampage
Machida
Evans

that is fucking ridiculous
(stoppages in 4 of those by the way)

his little build up fights weren’t exactly picnics either with Vera Hammil Bonnar etc

IF YOU DONT ACCEPT HIM AS THE GOAT YOU ARE SIMPLY WRONG

That´s definitely not how ya debunk such a [potential] myth.
Ya need to assess technical sequences & evolution of skill sets.

No way was the Rua Jones used as a punching bag the Rua we knew from Pride. Two different animals.

No way was the Rua Jones used as a punching bag the Rua we knew from Pride. Two different animals.

Rua didn’t fight anyone in Pride that was as well rounded and athletic as Jones. It’s easier to look great against lesser opposition.

Rua didn’t fight anyone in Pride that was as well rounded and athletic as Jones. It’s easier to look great against lesser opposition.

It's not just Jones. UFC Rua has mostly looked like a shadow of Pride Rua; in that sense, the Jones fight was no anomaly. He looked good in the fight where he won the title but he got that title shot by beating certifiably washed up fighters and even had to stun an aged Mark Coleman with an illegal blow before he could stop him.

Back