Jones Beat Cormier Psychologically

Goonerview

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Body language-wise, it was easy to tell that DC was wound up, fighting with emotion and not being cool, calm and confident.

Everything he did was a reaction to what Jones did. Looking at the staredown on "time is now", you can see DC has his hands in his pockets and backs off when Jones "flexes" in his face ... reacting to Jones.

@ 00.45

The staredown at the presser, Jones takes up most of the stage, dominating the entire stage basically, Whilst Cormier is pushed back to the right of the stage.

Also the staredown at weigh-ins, he was pacing up and down, fidgeting, which is a clear sign of insecurity and unconfidence, showing too much negative emotions. Him not facing the crowd was a reaction to Jones facing the crowd. He is not acting himself and acting completely as a reaction to how Jones acted.

He was too attached to the outcome and feared losing ... what you fear, you attract.

I didn't want to admit this before the fight, as I was hoping that I was wrong and DC would prove me wrong. But, I noticed this all along.

In the fight, DC wasn't his fluid self, he was like a deer in the headlights and froze up. It's a shame.

Jones physically beating down Cormier is what won that fight. It was grueling, intense and involved a lot of heavy striking in the clinch from both. Jones was tougher, had better cardio and won the championship rounds with mettle, just like he did against Gus. When things get tough, Jones gets tougher it seems.

DC lost to the better fighter. Get over it, if as you say DC is a deer in the headlights then Jones is a 100MPH Bently on a collision course.

DC will never beat Jones.

Getting that rustled is rarely a good idea going into an MMA fight. So I agree.

Jones physically beating down Cormier is what won that fight. It was grueling, intense and involved a lot of heavy striking in the clinch from both. Jones was tougher, had better cardio and won the championship rounds with mettle, just like he did against Gus. When things get tough, Jones gets tougher it seems.

DC didn't fight to his potential. He wasn't as fluid with his combinations ala. The Bigfoot fight.

It's a well known fact you should never go full shamrock before a fight.

Jones beat Cormier everywhere. I genuinely felt bad for Cormier at the press conference though. When he was talking about his loss and nearly tearing up and talking about how he had always come up short in his career you could see him coming to that realization that he will never be the best and it was breaking his heart coming to that realization

DC didn't fight to his potential. He wasn't as fluid with his combinations ala. The Bigfoot fight.

Excuses. Bigfoot isn't Jones. Cormier couldn't fight Jones the way he did Bigfoot. He tried to get in the pocket, but Jones tied him up, brutalized him from afar and used his size to give Daniel problems. Jones has better reflexes and is faster than Bigfoot as well.

DC didn't fight to your expectations of him because he was fighting a better fighter. Reconcile that outcome with yourself.

Jones overpowered DC in the clinch, something I thought won't happen. I wanted DC to win but Jones won by being bigger and stronger and the better fighter.

Whatever you can say about him, he has the heart of a champion. What let him retake the momentum in both the Cormier and Gus fights is the same stuff that let Anderson pull a triangle out of his ass to beat Chael. Not sure whether anyone in the UFC has the same will to win.

Whatever you can say about him, he has the heart of a champion. What let him retake the momentum in both the Cormier and Gus fights is the same stuff that let Anderson pull a triangle out of his ass to beat Chael. Not sure whether anyone in the UFC has the same will to win.

I basically typed that in other words. We're in agreement. I may not care for Jones as a person, but people should be more appreciative of the greatness they're witnessing. I love to watch Jones fight. I usually get my money's worth.

No way. Jones is still gotten to about things DC said. DC hit Jones mind hard and showed him something he didn't want to see but it had no bearing on the outcome other than motivating Jones.

Example of Jones mental midget tenancies look no further than Jon being so upset over fans buying Break Bones t-shirts, guy went on and on about those shirts... who cares about t-shirts? Guy is a beast but he's a 14-year old at heart.

Fighters may be scared however, that doesn't mean they don't perform at their best. And if you see the fight Cormier gives his all and takes a RD vs Jones in rounds 1-3.

Body language-wise, it was easy to tell that DC was wound up, fighting with emotion and not being cool, calm and confident.

Everything he did was a reaction to what Jones did. Looking at the staredown on "time is now", you can see DC has his hands in his pockets and backs off when Jones "flexes" in his face ... reacting to Jones.

@ 00.45

The staredown at the presser, Jones takes up most of the stage, dominating the entire stage basically, Whilst Cormier is pushed back to the right of the stage.

Also the staredown at weigh-ins, he was pacing up and down, fidgeting, which is a clear sign of insecurity and unconfidence, showing too much negative emotions. Him not facing the crowd was a reaction to Jones facing the crowd. He is not acting himself and acting completely as a reaction to how Jones acted.

He was too attached to the outcome and feared losing ... what you fear, you attract.

I didn't want to admit this before the fight, as I was hoping that I was wrong and DC would prove me wrong. But, I noticed this all along.

In the fight, DC wasn't his fluid self, he was like a deer in the headlights and froze up. It's a shame.

This thread would've impressed me if you wrote it yesterday.

DC's reaction to Jon throwing his hands in victory really tells you the level of psychological control he exerted over DC... the bell hadn't even rung when DC literally just stopped fighting

Not saying "psychological control" is what won JJ the fight, but you're spot on TS, JJ really won the "war of words" in the lead up

No way. Jones is still gotten to about things DC said. DC hit Jones mind hard and showed him something he didn't want to see but it had no bearing on the outcome other than motivating Jones.

Example of Jones mental midget tenancies look no further than Jon being so upset over fans buying Break Bones t-shirts, guy went on and on about those shirts... who cares about t-shirts? Guy is a beast but he's a 14-year old at heart.

Mental midget who excels in extremely tough circumstances in grueling physical affairs. I suppose we could conclude that body overcomes mind here, because if Jones truly is gotten to by DC, it didn't effect his will. It only pissed him off.

Jones is worried to an extent about the public perception of him. He can't understand why people don't laud him with love because of what he's accomplished. In the cage during a fight, no fucks given.

Best thing was that Jones actually wanted to touch gloves before the rounds, that must have f*cked with DC

I said the same thing. I have been saying it for months. Cormier does not believe in himself like Jones does. Cormier is exactly like Rashad. They try to play all nice. Oh, they are sensitive guys. They use their emotions for good. Nope. Their emotions totally control them.

Cormier played to the crowd, and sucked up to Zuffa immediately. Went after Roy Nelson. So willing to be a company man. Because he lacks confidence. He is the opposite of a guy like Fedor. Opposite of Cain too. That is why he moved down. Cain told him to. I knew Cain's psychology was legit, and Cormier's was not, just from that. Same thing when Jones pushed Rashad out of the picture.

Back