Jones and Gus - who showed more improvement after their first fight

In average, training = improvement. And in this case we are talking about 26-27 year old fighters who both are generally considered being close in their primes. Its logical to believe a healthy training time at this point in their careers has some value for both fighters. And Gus has been training more after their first fight. Its logical to assume Gus has more likely gained an edge in that apartment than Jones. Not sure, but more likely.

By your standards Nate Diaz is the most Improved fighter in the LW division

Based on the question, Jones showed more improvement just because we saw more out of him, but that doesn't mean that Gus didn't improve as much, we just didn't have time to see more.

For what its worth Jones did seem very sharp, and more methodical than before. He always followed gameplan pretty well, but also would just let loose because no one had fucked with him. Gus being able to actually put a fight to him looks to have focused him more which is dangerous. Still I give Gus a damn good chance to win a rematch, but he is gonna have to really bring some new shit because be damn sure Jones will.

Won't matter. Jones probably slept on him the first time around and will probably dominate the rematch.

Manuwa is a better fighter than Glover.

Glover is slow and is a one dimensional striker. He throws hook, hook, uppercut.

Big deal he hit hits hard as fuck, when you get to the top of the sport you need a lot more than 2 big punches. The guy has no jab and really no straight punches to speak of yet it was his game plan to throw nothing but hooks and uppercuts vs a guy with a 10 inch reach advantage all the while throwing 2 kicks the whole fight.

Great job Glover.

Glover > Manuwa

Based on the question, Jones showed more improvement just because we saw more out of him, but that doesn't mean that Gus didn't improve as much, we just didn't have time to see more.

For what its worth Jones did seem very sharp, and more methodical than before. He always followed gameplan pretty well, but also would just let loose because no one had fucked with him. Gus being able to actually put a fight to him looks to have focused him more which is dangerous. Still I give Gus a damn good chance to win a rematch, but he is gonna have to really bring some new shit because be damn sure Jones will.

This, Jones was unprepared the first fight, didn't expect Gus wrestling was as good as it was, which is a big deal when your game plan revolves around taking the guy down, tbut he knows what Gus brings to the table this time, and will be more prepared for it, where as Gus fought an unprepared Jones, there's not much else Gus can do this time that Jones isn't prepared for

This, Jones was unprepared the first fight, didn't expect Gus wrestling was as good as it was, which is a big deal when your game plan revolves around taking the guy down, tbut he knows what Gus brings to the table this time, and will be more prepared for it, where as Gus fought an unprepared Jones, there's not much else Gus can do this time that Jones isn't prepared for

I thought Jones is a professional athlete at the highest level of the sport. Are you saying a p4p1 fighter in the world took his opponent lightly when there was a championship title and millions of dollars in line for Jones (sponsorship, market value etc)?

Just think about that a second. Im sure you will realize that doesnt make any sense. It was mma fans and media who underrestimated Gus, not Jackson camp. They arent stupid, you know.

Jones fought where no one thought he would, and that people thought would be a weakness against Glover. Instead he dominated him there, showing improvement on putting punches and elbows together in the inside, dirty boxing, and in the clinch (Never has he looked better at those aspects). Used a better looking jab, which he should have used more. Not only that it was against a high ranked fighter.

Yeah this place has no bias at all.

Jones fought where no one thought he would, and that people thought would be a weakness against Glover. Instead he dominated him there, showing improvement on putting punches and elbows together in the inside, dirty boxing, and in the clinch (Never has he looked better at those aspects). Used a better looking jab, which he should have used more. Not only that it was against a high ranked fighter.

Yeah this place has no bias at all.

He couldnt finish Glover, though. And Glover fought basically one armed most of the fight. Props to Jones for hurting Glovers arm, but he should have been able to finish him to really impress me. A clear decision win was at least what was expected from Jones.

He couldnt finish Glover, though. And Glover fought basically one armed most of the fight. Props to Jones for hurting Glovers arm, but he should have been able to finish him to really impress me. A clear decision win was at least what was expected from Jones.

You thinking he should have finished, does not discount the improvements he showed in his Jab, throwing crisper punches, putting punches together in the clinch, dirty boxing and on the inside.

You thinking he should have finished, does not discount the improvements he showed in his Jab, throwing crisper punches, putting punches together in the clinch, dirty boxing and on the inside.

Well, I think it will be a much harder to use those jabs effectively against Gustafsson than Glover. Glover is so one dimensional on the feet, its really hard to say how much of Jones good performance was about improvements and how much of it was about facing a totally different opponent than Gustafsson. Its really hard to tell, objectively.

I thought Jones is a professional athlete at the highest level of the sport. Are you saying a p4p1 fighter in the world took his opponent lightly when there was a championship title and millions of dollars in line for Jones (sponsorship, market value etc)?

Just think about that a second. Im sure you will realize that doesnt make any sense. It was mma fans and media who underrestimated Gus, not Jackson camp. They arent stupid, you know.

Jones has essentially said, he didnt fully prepare for that fight and he was started to feel invulnerable.
The betting odds were stacked wildly in Jones favor, easy to see how Gus would be underestimated.

Either way Gus still lost and this next fight should be quite intersting

Jones has perfected the eyepokes. He was a little sloppy before but now he gets those fingers right in the eye sockets and keeps them there.

Luckily gus learned to do it also, against manuwa gus eyepoked manuwa and used the situation to finish the fight

In the battle between these two, many factors are gonna be taken in as we try and see how they stack up. So to start with, I figured I would go with this one; looking at Jones vs Glover and Gus vs Manuwa, who showed more significant improvement in their overall MMA game relative to their fight with each other? Who looked more proficient and dangerous?

Jones showed much more imporvement.Have you seen how easily he poked Glover several times??He not only poked Glover but held his fingers in front of Glover's eyes for 5 rounds.That's a new UFC record.If that's not impressive,i don't know what is.

Hard to tell, both looked very good.

Back