Jones and Gus - who showed more improvement after their first fight

how people are comparing a win over Manuwa to beating Glover is beyond me

They really are not that far apart. Manuwa was a fast rising undefeated prospect and as for Glover, well before the Jones fight Bader was far and away his biggest win. There is significant difference, but not so much as for them to be incomparable.

We should not just compare their performances against two totally different kind of fighters. Whats more important is that Gus hasnt suffered any injuries since last september and he was back in training way before Jones after their first fight. Its fair to assume Gus has improved more during this time than Jones.

IMO Gus is improving today with same kind of pace Jones was improving a couple of years ago.

Sorry to say but this is a stupid statement, you cant base of fighters improvement off anything other then performance, and he didn't show anything in the Manuwa bout

I observed they have both improved:
Gus started using head movement more to avoid getting hit and,if it's considered improvement he's gaining muscle mass.
Jones is integrating his wrestling and striking seamlessly with hand fighting.He's not averse to in-fighting like he was against Rampage.

Sorry to say but this is a stupid statement, you cant base of fighters improvement off anything other then performance, and he didn't show anything in the Manuwa bout

Is it irrelevant how much a fighter is able to train healthy? And what Gus should have showed against Manuwa? Some fancy spinning techiques?

They really are not that far apart. Manuwa was a fast rising undefeated prospect and as for Glover, well before the Jones fight Bader was far and away his biggest win. There is significant difference, but not so much as for them to be incomparable.

Manuwa wasn't even in the top 10, Glover was ranked 3rd.

I mean Glover top wins = Rampage, Bader, Tehuna.
Manuwa top wins = 40 year old Cyrille and kyle kngsbury(who glover also beat)

Glover was tested, Manuwa wasn't, no comparison

Going by what i saw, i would say Jones just because i saw him a whole 5 rounds, Gus has good cardio but that is one of the main aspects which need improvement from him, imho

Is it irrelevant how much a fighter is able to train healthy? And what Gus should have showed against Manuwa? Some fancy spinning techiques?

Tell me how this sounds, Fighter X won the most improved fighter of the year with 6 months of healthy training, just beating fighter Y who only had 5 1/2 months, see what i mean, it's solely based off performance and nothing else.

He took an easy fight against a guy not even in the top 10 to pad his record and earn a fight with Jones, nothing you can really show when your competitions biggest win is against a 40 year old Cyrille on his retirement bout

Last edited:
Until he meets Pat Cummins in X-arm, he will remain a paper champ

Tell me how this sounds, Fighter X won the most improved fighter of the year with 6 months of healthy training, just beating fighter Y who only had 5 1/2 months, see what i mean, it's solely based off performance and nothing else

I like to give facts more value than speculative opinions which in this case are extremely difficult to emphasize right. All we know is that Gus has been training more than Jones since their last fight. We also now that it took over two months for Jones to heal up from the first fight while Gus was back in training in just two weeks. You can say all this doesnt matter, I say it matters.

Glover shouldn't have been ranked as highly as he was. His fight with Rampage was shit, beating Bader and Tehuna shouldn't bump you up to 3rd in the division.

Manuwa and Glover are more comparable than you'd like to think for whatever reason and Gus beat Manuwa more impressively.

how people are comparing a win over Manuwa to beating Glover is beyond me

Dont know why people think manuwa is somehow less than glover...

The striking between gus and manuwa was a good fight, and it got stopped a bit early.

I wouldnt bet too much on jones out striking manuwa in a straight, or glover doing so. I think manuwa has big gaps on the floor, but standing, he is no joke, clearly.

I like to give facts more value than speculative opinions which in this case are extremely difficult to emphasize right. All we know is that Gus has been training more than Jones since their last fight. We also now that it took over two months for Jones to heal up from the first fight while Gus was back in training in just two weeks. You can say all this doesnt matter, I say it matters.

There's no Training/Improvement ratio for a reason, if what your saying makes sense then no fighter ever reaches his peak, because training = improvement = new Peak, but it's not the case, different fighters reach there peak at different points in the career's, nobody ever knows until they actually see the performance of that fighter if they've improved at all.

Dont know why people think manuwa is somehow less than glover...

The striking between gus and manuwa was a good fight, and it got stopped a bit early.

I wouldnt bet too much on jones out striking manuwa in a straight, or glover doing so. I think manuwa has big gaps on the floor, but standing, he is no joke, clearly.

how can you say that?? who has he beaten?

and it wasn't a straight striking bout, Gus mixed TD's in there a lot

Manuwa is a better fighter than Glover.

Glover is slow and is a one dimensional striker. He throws hook, hook, uppercut.

Big deal he hit hits hard as fuck, when you get to the top of the sport you need a lot more than 2 big punches. The guy has no jab and really no straight punches to speak of yet it was his game plan to throw nothing but hooks and uppercuts vs a guy with a 10 inch reach advantage all the while throwing 2 kicks the whole fight.

Great job Glover.

Both looked good. Jones showed that he has improved standup, especially in the clinch.

Alex showed what he should have done in the Jones fight, which is to not fear the takedown and throw powerful combinations when Jones (or Manuwa in this case) had their back against the cage. In the Jones fight, Alex had plenty of opportunities to pressure Jon but chose to reset in the center for fear of the clinch/takedown.

There's no Training/Improvement ratio for a reason, if what your saying makes sense then no fighter ever reaches his peak, because training = improvement = new Peak, but it's not the case, different fighters reach there peak at different points in the career's, nobody ever knows until they actually see the performance of that fighter if they've improved at all.

In average, training = improvement. And in this case we are talking about 26-27 year old fighters who both are generally considered being close in their primes. Its logical to believe a healthy training time at this point in their careers has some value for both fighters. And Gus has been training more after their first fight. Its logical to assume Gus has more likely gained an edge in that apartment than Jones. Not sure, but more likely.

Both looked good. Jones showed that he has improved standup, especially in the clinch.

Alex showed what he should have done in the Jones fight, which is to not fear the takedown and throw powerful combinations when Jones (or Manuwa in this case) had their back against the cage. In the Jones fight, Alex had plenty of opportunities to pressure Jon but chose to reset in the center for fear of the clinch/takedown.

He clearly couldn't sit on his punches and get a tko because he was clearly worried about being taken down.

Manuwa was ranked 11 when he fought Gustafsson. Manuwa is now ranked #10 after he LOST to Gus (only explanation being another Top 10 fighter was removed or bumped off the list). Your belief in rankings is a bit too strong. They're more or less a joke nowadays and Glover being #3 is pretty comical considering his best wins were an I want out of the UFC immediately, past his prime Rampage, chinny ass Bader and James Te Huna (who Shogun KTFO'd). Gustafsson beat Te Huna too (stopped him), big deal.

Manuwa is a better striker than Glover is. Both guys have big power but Manuwa is far more explosive and faster. Glover is a much better grappler. Manuwa was undefeated and had stopped all of his opponents inside of 2 rounds prior to getting stopped by Gustafsson. He brutalized his previous opponents and fractured Kingsbury's orbital/eye socket in multiple places. Your attempt at writing off Jimi is lame at best and if him and Glover fought tomorrow there's a very good chance that Glover would lose (Bader was able to drop him and Maldonado rocked the shit out of him too).

Gus crushed an average LHW in Manuwa. Jones brutalized a legit contender.

Neither was a surprise, not much to really learn from them except Jones has improved him clinch game a little bit.

Back