Jones and Gus - who showed more improvement after their first fight

emax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
In the battle between these two, many factors are gonna be taken in as we try and see how they stack up. So to start with, I figured I would go with this one; looking at Jones vs Glover and Gus vs Manuwa, who showed more significant improvement in their overall MMA game relative to their fight with each other? Who looked more proficient and dangerous?

Gus vs Manuwa was too short to really tell.

Jones got extra dirty against Glover so it's also difficult to tell.

I think they're both more or less at the same level they were in the first fight.

But if I had to choose one I'd probably give a slight edge to Jones. He has a better camp.

Gus vs Manuwa was too short to really tell.

Jones got extra dirty against Glover so it's also difficult to tell.

I think they're both more or less at the same level they were in the first fight.

But if I had to choose one I'd probably give a slight edge to Jones. He has a better camp.

Lol it was 2 eye pokes man.

If you're gonna be like that, at least mention that Gus finished Manuwa after poking him in the eye. Gotta be fair

Last edited:
Both had impressive performences. But I wasn't suprised by either result and I didn't see any big improvements. They're both great fighters and neither of them have any big holes in their game.

Got Gus in the rematch.

I really don't know. Both looked great. Gus with a NASTY finish of Manuwa.
Jones looked awesome against Glover though. I really thought that was his 2nd best performance in the UFC.... I don't think anything will top Shogun.

Biggest fight of 2014. I really think Gus is gonna do it though

One went 5 rounds with an old man who showed no fight. One koed a younger undefeated fighter in his own country. Its really hard to say because Jimmy never lost, so its hard to judge how good he really is

I believe they're both at the same level that they were when they first fought. Jones may have a few extra tricks up his sleeve.

Alex murked a 14-0 fighter who's never gone past the second round in his hometown of London. The biggest improvement for me besides looking very sharp was that his confidence was through the roof.

Jon looked good but we always knew Glover would be in for a long night if he couldn't take him down. He got a few good shots in before he injured his shoulder and the rest was all about Jon using his wrestling to smother and drain him against the fence so bar the few flashy things he threw in there to show off he didn't do anything that showed me he's improved his boxing and footwork or gotten the killer instinct required to win the rematch.

Jones has perfected the eyepokes. He was a little sloppy before but now he gets those fingers right in the eye sockets and keeps them there.

Neither seem to have improved a whole bunch. Too small a sample size to tell but I was more impressed with Gus than Jones in their last two outings albeit it's close.

jones
although gus fight was a lil short and he faced lesser competition so it was kind of hard to judge his improvement

Jones popped Glover's elbow pretty early and Gus fought a guy who was pretty untested so it's hard to say. I doubt either made any drastic improvement in just 8 months.

About the same. I still think Jones wins again though with or without eye pokes.

Jones imo. I never really thought his standup was that great before, mainly his punching, but he looked pretty damn good to me in the Glover fight. I used to think Gus would beat Jones in a rematch, but after their last fights, I don't know. I don't like Jones at all but I actually do favor him in the rematch.

We should not just compare their performances against two totally different kind of fighters. Whats more important is that Gus hasnt suffered any injuries since last september and he was back in training way before Jones after their first fight. Its fair to assume Gus has improved more during this time than Jones.

IMO Gus is improving today with same kind of pace Jones was improving a couple of years ago.

We're supposed to judge improvement based on one fight against overhyped fighters? Really?

Jones

I still don't know if Gus can come through in the clutch.

how people are comparing a win over Manuwa to beating Glover is beyond me

Back