Jones a 6-to-1 favorite over Glover

I'm just going to make one distinction in this fight while bringing up how close the Gus fight was. There was a shit ton of money to potentially be made, if people knew how competitive Gus was going to make it, and if he won. Controversial or not, that decision could have gone to Gus, and no one would have batted more of an eyelash than already was. But here's the kicker.

Gus is more likely to take it to decision in making it competitive, than Glover is.

Glover is the type of guy to absorb punishment, but also finish a fucking fight.

Let Jones/Teixeira be competitve for even a moment, even if it means Glover touching Jones' chin a single time in the pocket or through a perfectly-timed counter (ala Bader), and the chance that the fight ends right there on the spot through T/KO is way higher.

Dropping money on Glover, at the those odds, thusly makes that much more sense if you're hoping for an upset. No one gave Gustafsson a chance, and he got that close. Same thing going on here, but with an animal that can actual KTFO you given that chance..

Nope. I knew the odds were off on Gus because he was a stylistically (and, yes, anatomically) bad matchup for Jones. Taxeira has not the reach nor shown much else than all the other dudes that Jones dominated. Obviously he has a chance since he is pretty well rounded, but I'd say the odds should be more similar to what they were for Gus.

I don't see how Glover can win, but I hope I'm wrong. Jones has a good chin, even if he doesn't react very well to getting hit. Glover hasn't shown that he has all THAT much power, he was hitting Rampage over and over on the chin and never put him out, his real power is inconclusive due to his low strength of schedule. Jones has more reach, speed, better wrestling and a better chin.

Dropping the iron-chinned Kingsbury (watch his fight with Manuwa)
ibqoklikByIi50.gif

Dropping Bader with his hips and feet against the cage:
ib0wOzzcnDbIWI.gif

He dropped Maldonado in 15 seconds, Rampage in the first (when was the last time Page was dropped by a punch?); he hits very hard, mixes it up well, and has an elite ground game to back it all up.

Like I said, low strength of schedule. Bader was dropped by Tito who hadn't had a win in like 7 years.

I'm not saying Glover doesn't have power, but I don't see where he has the obscene power so many make him out to have. In that Kingsbury gif his uppercut lands right on the button, most LHWs could drop almost any other LHW with a shot like that. He was dropping Rampage but he could never put him away, and Rampage was covering well soon after every time.

I'm not saying Glover doesn't have power, but I don't see where he has the obscene power so many make him out to have. In that Kingsbury gif his uppercut lands right on the button, most LHWs could drop almost any other LHW with a shot like that. He was dropping Rampage but he could never put him away, and Rampage was covering well soon after every time.

Rampage has been finished once since 2005, by Jones via sub in the 4th round. I don't know why anyone would hold that against him. Point is, he dropped a very tough opponent that hadn't been dropped since...Shogun? He has also taken out HWs via TKO.

20110720111212_glover1.JPG

Dropping Bader with arm punches is rather impressive. Tito used more force when dropping Bader.

Te Huna is the only opponent he hasn't dropped in the 1st in the UFC.

Rampage has been finished once since 2005, by Jones via sub in the 4th round. I don't know why anyone would hold that against him. Point is, he dropped a very tough opponent that hadn't been dropped since...Shogun? He has also taken out HWs via TKO.

20110720111212_glover1.JPG

Dropping Bader with arm punches is rather impressive. Tito used more force when dropping Bader.

Alright well, I hope Glover catches Jones on the chin and lays him out. I wouldn't bet money on it, but I badly hope it happens.

I wouldn't bet on Glover if it were -5000. It make more sense to bet that it'll snow in Florida tomorrow.

I think Bones is going to win (sadly), but Glover might be worth a small flyer bet.

If Glover wasn't so goddamn slow he would be a good bet. But he is, and Jones will outpoint him and stay away for 5 rounds. It will look like the Rampage fight only without a finish (unless Glover gets tired....then maybe).

Back