Jon Jones wouldn't have done much better than Maldonado...

It's ridiculous that people are creating threads just to hate on Jones.
I've had way nicer threads sent to the wasteland.
The mods must be busy looking at smut or something.

Jones wouldn't last a round with any top 10 HW.

Any top 10 HW via KO in the first.

Of course Jones would beat Struve. He lost to a Bellator 205r lol.

Just because Maldonado got killed in a minute doesn't mean anything, there's a million examples of smaller fighters beating bigger ones.

Mousasi and Manhoef destroyed Mark Hunt. Every fight should be taken as an individual event. Stop generalizing it like some mid-tier UFC heavyweight would destroy the #1 P4P fighter right now just because a top-10 Heavyweight beat a lower level Light Heavyweight.

Every fight is different, styles make fights, size doesn't always win and many times it's the opposite, speed kills.

This right here, exactly on point!

Because to people an athlete has to be cut up and shredded with pure muscle like a roided out WWE superstar.

No, when you speak about a super athlete, or a gifted athlete, I expect to see a sports pedigree that reflects the title. Meaning multiple wins at a high level of competition and consistent performances. That is a super athlete, and Miocic is not a super athlete, or the best athlete in the heavyweight division.

Ah thanks for reminding me, Randy Couture was a seasoned MMA fighter that got his bell rung by a HW WWE star who started to train his striking a few months earlier. So ya, if anything that should tell us how HW power can overcome LHW skill and experience in the blink of an eye. Thanks for further proving my point.

Do you know what happens when you mix freak athletes with steroids?

Jones wouldn't last a round with any top 10 HW.

Any top 10 HW via KO in the first.

Give us your top 10 HW list first, and then we'll decide who Jon Jones could beat out of it.

Okay? I can point to a million examples of smaller fighters losing. Like I said Struve lost to M'Pumbu a light heavyweight in Bellator.

Hunt lost to Gegard and Manhoef.

Cain has beaten many larger opponents.

Wand beat the shit out of Cro Cop even though they had to call it a draw in their first fight, go watch it.

There's so many examples it's stupid to just list a bunch of random ones.
Fedor dominated the heavyweight division for years. Traditionally the slightly smaller and faster HWs have dominated the division. Cain, Fedor, Cro Cop, Nog, Randy - etc. But apparently 20lbs difference is too much for the 205lb, still under 30, 84 inch reach, 6'4" LHW champion to overcome.

Based on what? His tendency of getting KO'd easily and the fact he's been finished by 205ers before?

You people are insane. Mike Tyson was one of the smallest heavyweights ever and also one of the GOAT.

What could Jones do to Struve? He sure as hell isn't going to out-muscle Struve. Jones doesn't have big KO power in his strikes and it takes monster shots to put Struve away. Jones isn't going to be able to use his reach advantage to put his palm on Struves head to keep him at bay. If Jones does manage to take Struve down, there is a good chance Struve can submit him or reverse Jones and unleash vicious ground and pound given his strong ground game.

I just don't see how Jones can win a fight against Struve. Jon is perfectly suited for 205.

To every example you list of the smaller weight class fighter winning, I could probably list 10 examples where the bigger man wins.

No one is saying Jones would have 0 chance to win, at least I'm not saying that. Stuff happens in a fight, and there is too many variables to predict anything with complete certainty. That said, one well placed punch from a HW has the potential to be more damaging than Jones' entire fight output.

With no size and strength advantage, against a guy he cant bully in the clinch and he's highly unlikely to take down, who is a pretty technical striker and carries HW knockout power and takedown ability that can decide where the fight takes place, it just doesn't look good for Jones.

dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

Jon Jones with an extra 10-15 lbs would be quite the HW. Besides, your username reveals your bias.

Aldo with an extra 115 lbs would be quite the HW also.

Lol at these haters... Nobody can beat Jones at Light Heavyweight so lets imagine him losing in a weight class that he doesn't fight in.

Lol at these haters... Nobody can beat Jones at Light Heavyweight so lets imagine him losing in a weight class that he doesn't fight in.

You mean Jones wouldn't have a harder time in a weight class where he doesn't have the same height advantage and many of the fighters are heavier?

He's the better fighter, but against a D-1 HW wrestler and freak athlete with knockout power like Miocic, he just doesn't have the tools to win.

If anything Maldonado at least had a puncher's chance going into the fight. Jones wouldn't have an advantage anywhere, he's never dropped anyone with a strike at 205 so I cant see him rocking a HW.

Let's be honest, a guy like Stipe would maul him as would Cain, and most of the top HW's. Wake up people!!
Nick Diaz > Robbie Lawler > Melvin Manhoef > Mark Hunt > Stefan Struve > Stipe

Nuff said.

you people are ridiculous. I wouldn't bet my house on JJ beating the top HWs but I wouldn't on him losing to all of them either...

One of the greatest fighters in history and you all think he wouldn't be able to pack on a lean 10-20lbs and be competitive with slightly bigger guys....oh come on.

I guess Mayweather, who is a natural 130lb guy wouldn't be able to hang with the higher weight fighters. Oh wait, hes dominating guys 20+lbs heavier than him in the ring.

What could Jones do to Struve? He sure as hell isn't going to out-muscle Struve. Jones doesn't have big KO power in his strikes and it takes monster shots to put Struve away. Jones isn't going to be able to use his reach advantage to put his palm on Struves head to keep him at bay. If Jones does manage to take Struve down, there is a good chance Struve can submit him or reverse Jones and unleash vicious ground and pound given his strong ground game.

I just don't see how Jones can win a fight against Struve. Jon is perfectly suited for 205.

You don't think Jon Jones could out muscle Struve? Are you kidding? If Jon Jones decides to come up to heavyweight he is going to be walking around at 240 - 250 lbs, muscle. He would rag doll Struve like the scarecrow he is, I mean Struve has zero wrestling. Jon Jones also has a great submission game and great top control. Jon Jones has better footwork and better techniques, he would eat up Struve's legs and out wrestle him all night. You seriously can't picture any scenario where Jon Jones beats Struve? Really?

To every example you list of the smaller weight class fighter winning, I could probably list 10 examples where the bigger man wins.

No one is saying Jones would have 0 chance to win, at least I'm not saying that. Stuff happens in a fight, and there is too many variables to predict anything with complete certainty. That said, one well placed punch from a HW has the potential to be more damaging than Jones' entire fight output.

With no size and strength advantage, against a guy he cant bully in the clinch and he's highly unlikely to take down, who is a pretty technical striker and carries HW knockout power and takedown ability that can decide where the fight takes place, it just doesn't look good for Jones.

Randy vs Tim Sylvia, boom son. Fighting is 90% mental, that is what you don't understand because you've never trained a day in your life. Jon Jones is intelligent, a very smart and creative fighter. He would rock the heavyweight division, especially if he took a year, year and a half to slowly gain the weight. No size or strength advantage? You are missing what everyone has been telling you, size is of little consequence because Jon Jones is already a big man. A much more technical striker than a lot of the heavyweights, and way more dynamic. Who it doesn't look good for are all the big and nontechnical heavyweights who have been getting away with laying on people. How many heavyweights right now can even complete a 5 round fight at high volume? I pray Jon Jones rules the LHW division and finishes his career at HW, just so we can see what happens, because I know you're dead wrong.

You guys know johny Hendricks punches harder than Matt mitrione and he has knocked out a lot of heavy weights. Jones would beat every HW not named Velasquez. He would grind down JDS too and hurt him with GNP. The Cain fight would be close

you people are ridiculous. I wouldn't bet my house on JJ beating the top HWs but I wouldn't on him losing to all of them either...

One of the greatest fighters in history and you all think he wouldn't be able to pack on a lean 10-20lbs and be competitive with slightly bigger guys....oh come on.

I guess Mayweather, who is a natural 130lb guy wouldn't be able to hang with the higher weight fighters. Oh wait, hes dominating guys 20+lbs heavier than him in the ring.
Exactly, because no boxer in the history of boxing has ever moved up 4-5 weightclasses and continued to dominate. James Toney isn't a real person. Rocky Marciano wasn't 5'9" beating men 6-7 inches taller and 30-40lbs heavier than him. No. Boxing hasn't already proven this ridiculous argument completely and totally wrong.

You don't think Jon Jones could out muscle Struve? Are you kidding? If Jon Jones decides to come up to heavyweight he is going to be walking around at 240 - 250 lbs, muscle. He would rag doll Struve like the scarecrow he is, I mean Struve has zero wrestling. Jon Jones also has a great submission game and great top control. Jon Jones has better footwork and better techniques, he would eat up Struve's legs and out wrestle him all night. You seriously can't picture any scenario where Jon Jones beats Struve? Really?

Jon Jones weighs 240-250 pounds of solid muscle and cuts 35-40 pounds to make 205? Jones can't weigh more than 230 at the most.

Struve is 7 feet tall and weighs 260 pounds with an 84.5 inch reach. I doubt Jones would rag doll him. It would probably be a competitive fight where if Jones won it would be by decision.

Jones wouldn't be able to eat up Struve's legs while standing. He would probably shatter his chicken legs after Struve checked a leg kick.

How does this make him a freak athlete? You do realize there are a lot of Golden Gloves tournaments, right? Did he win the nationals, or some citywide tournament? I would guess the latter. What did he do as a wrestler in college that was so great? There are thousands of college wrestlers, are they all freak athletes?

He is a good athlete but was never close to being near the best in any of those sports. Bo Jackson was a freak athlete, Stipe Miocic not so much.

the fact that he do all three, and have decent achievement

Back