Jon Jones wouldn't have done much better than Maldonado...

Why do you keep bringing up a guy that killed himself trying to cut to 170 and missed weight over and over? He's doing well at 205 because that's exactly where he's belonged all along. At HW his biggest achievement was a decision over a washed up Andrei Arlovski who wasn't in the top 20 and hasn't beat a relevant HW in about 8 years.

If anything the Rumble example proves my point even more, he cuts weight to 205 now because he tried both and he feels his chances there are better than at HW. So ya he feels he has a better chance against Phil Davis and Jon Jones then he would against Stipe Miocic and Cain Velasquez.

Now please shut up.

Did you even watch the Rumble vs Arlovski fight? You sound like you have no idea what you're talking about, you don't just beat down former heavy weight champions when everyone in the world is doubting your ability to fight. Could you please put together your top 20 heavyweight list at the time Arvloski fought Rumble? That would be great, but you and I know you're just saying that because you have no idea what you're talking about and I'm calling you on it. No, Rumble doesn't prove your point at all, not in the slightest. Except that if Jon Jones is the best 205er in the world, arguably the best pound for pound fighter in MMA, and wouldn't be successful at Heavyweight? Even though Rumble who now fights at 205 and beat Phil Davis beat down Arvloski at heavyweight? Seriously, stop speaking, stop writing, go learn something about MMA, go learn something about fight strategy, and go train for God sakes so you don't sound like such a fool.

extra weight would mean extra strength, its how the body works. you carry that weight around all day so you become accustomed to that weight.

knocking people out also has a lot to do with how hard you hit, which is why a brawler with very poor technique can knock someone out. of course a well planted jab could also knock someone out if they are moving forward. they way you look at it, hendricks would of had the exact same run even if he didn't have monster like power in his hands.

maldonaldo is known for having one of the best chins in the LHW division, done-dys in 35secs. i doubt jones would have different results had he taken the same shots.

not saying it would be a one sided mauling but the strength and KO power w/ IMO enough speed to keep up with every LHW out there, means that jones is gonna have a rough night. HW strikes and LHW strikes tend to have quite a big gap in how hard they land.

Extra weight means extra strength? Oh my Lord...stop speaking right now. You don't know anything about the human anatomy, biology, or physiology. You walk around with that weight and become accustomed to it huh? So are you in 7th or 8th grade? No, knocking people out has nothing to do with how hard you hit. Yes, hitting hard helps to knock someone out, but knocking people out has nothing to do with how hard you hit. You do not train, that is now obvious. Maldonado does not have the best chin, clearly because he got knocked out. Glover has a better chin at LHW. Please, I mean you just don't know what you're talking about...at all. You do not understand the physics of strikes and saying inane things like, "HW STRIKES AND LHW STRIKES TEND TO HAVE QUITE A BIG GAP IN HOW HARD THEY LAND." Heard of something called F = MA? No? Yeah, that is why you don't know what you're talking about...

Lol are you implying Jones would stand a chance against Struve?

Of course Jones would beat Struve. He lost to a Bellator 205r lol.

Just because Maldonado got killed in a minute doesn't mean anything, there's a million examples of smaller fighters beating bigger ones.

Mousasi and Manhoef destroyed Mark Hunt. Every fight should be taken as an individual event. Stop generalizing it like some mid-tier UFC heavyweight would destroy the #1 P4P fighter right now just because a top-10 Heavyweight beat a lower level Light Heavyweight.

Every fight is different, styles make fights, size doesn't always win and many times it's the opposite, speed kills.

TS, please explain Randy Couture to me. He transitioned between lhw and hw, and yet the only person to put him out cold was Chuck.

Division 1 wrestler, golden gloves boxer, star baseball player, was on just very sports team in his hs and college days... ya, freak athlete.

Now you tell me why he's not?
Because to people an athlete has to be cut up and shredded with pure muscle like a roided out WWE superstar.

He's the better fighter, but against a D-1 HW wrestler and freak athlete with knockout power like Miocic, he just doesn't have the tools to win.

If anything Maldonado at least had a puncher's chance going into the fight. Jones wouldn't have an advantage anywhere, he's never dropped anyone with a strike at 205 so I cant see him rocking a HW.

Let's be honest, a guy like Stipe would maul him as would Cain, and most of the top HW's. Wake up people!!

Wait...are you saying that there's a good chance that a lhw might get beat up by a hw?
Mind = blown

Frankie Edgar would have a really tough time with those guys too.

If they fought in a football field (with rules saying you can't step out of bounds) instead of the Octagon, I'd put my money on Frankie.

I don't know exactly how well or poorly Jones would do at HW, but I do not believe it would be as bad as Maldonado. A big part of that belief is that Jones has much greater skill and they have completely different fighting styles.

Maldonado is a small LHW who lets his opponents burn up their cardio beating on him. He is a human punching bag and his opponents get tired. At HW there's no time for his "strategy" to kick in. At LHW he can withstand the assault until they are snockered.

Jones on the other hand doesn't get hit, certainly not full force, even 1/10th as often as Maldonado. Combine that with his reach, and much higher skill level and I think Jones does better at HW.

Struve would wreck Jon Jones.

Based on what? His tendency of getting KO'd easily and the fact he's been finished by 205ers before?

You people are insane. Mike Tyson was one of the smallest heavyweights ever and also one of the GOAT.

TS, please explain Randy Couture to me. He transitioned between lhw and hw, and yet the only person to put him out cold was Chuck.

Ah thanks for reminding me, Randy Couture was a seasoned MMA fighter that got his bell rung by a HW WWE star who started to train his striking a few months earlier. So ya, if anything that should tell us how HW power can overcome LHW skill and experience in the blink of an eye. Thanks for further proving my point.

Jones is only good because of reach, we learned this in the gus fight when he looked like mr potato head afterwards,

Based on what? His tendency of getting KO'd easily and the fact he's been finished by 205ers before?

You people are insane. Mike Tyson was one of the smallest heavyweights ever and also one of the GOAT.

In a sport where you can only strike, size loses a lot of it's advantages obviously. MMA is a different animal.

you still haven't told us why
jevon kearse, russell Wilson, LeBron James, those are freak athletes

no mma fighter isa freak athlete, but Jones is closest

Brock was a freak athlete, no if ands or buts about it.

On to the original point. Let me start off by saying I fucking hate Jones. Like I despise the arrogant asshole with all the hate I can muster. With that being said people are being unfair about this. IF Jones is gonna fight a guy at heavy weight he isn't gonna come in at 205 obviously and we haven't seen what Jones would look like as a HW. Its conceivable that if he was gonna make the move to HW he could come in weighing 240 lbs in his first fight at heavy. Now take into account he won't have to cut a pound, he won't have legs that resemble those of poultry and he is still gonna retain his speed and reach and eye gouging techniques. Jones at HW I think is something we are gonna see and something thats gonna be scary to see. At the end of the day a Jon Jones that is preparing to fight at HW is gonna mess up guys not in the top five and be real solid competition for the top 5. I still think Cain beats him and likely JDS but outside of those two I think he wins the majority of the fights, and that makes me sick.

In a sport where you can only strike, size loses a lot of it's advantages obviously. MMA is a different animal.

Okay? I can point to a million examples of smaller fighters losing. Like I said Struve lost to M'Pumbu a light heavyweight in Bellator.

Hunt lost to Gegard and Manhoef.

Cain has beaten many larger opponents.

Wand beat the shit out of Cro Cop even though they had to call it a draw in their first fight, go watch it.

There's so many examples it's stupid to just list a bunch of random ones.

A lot of LHW's would have done better.

I don't know exactly how well or poorly Jones would do at HW, but I do not believe it would be as bad as Maldonado. A big part of that belief is that Jones has much greater skill and they have completely different fighting styles.

Maldonado is a small LHW who lets his opponents burn up their cardio beating on him. He is a human punching bag and his opponents get tired. At HW there's no time for his "strategy" to kick in. At LHW he can withstand the assault until they are snockered.

Jones on the other hand doesn't get hit, certainly not full force, even 1/10th as often as Maldonado. Combine that with his reach, and much higher skill level and I think Jones does better at HW.

If Jones moves up to HW he loses a lot of his physical advantages that he holds over most LHW. It is interesting to note that Jones toughest fight was against Gus who is roughly the same size.

If Jones moves up the opponents he fights are just as tall as him and many are much heavier. That would start to wear on him facing bigger guys fight after fight. I think 205 is the perfect division for Jones.

Ah thanks for reminding me, Randy Couture was a seasoned MMA fighter that got his bell rung by a HW WWE star who started to train his striking a few months earlier. So ya, if anything that should tell us how HW power can overcome LHW skill and experience in the blink of an eye. Thanks for further proving my point.

Brock was a true freak athlete, no one else could do as much as he did early in their careers. Not to mention that Randy was coming off of a long layoff during his mid-40's. Brock ended up being beat down by a heavyweight not much larger than Couture was at his peak who many had suggested could cut down to 205 if he lost some fat. And are you saying that light heavyweight Cormier would get destroyed at heavyweight? Oh wait.

Back