Jon Jones: "Would i even get points for KOing Chuck?"

Bruh, I'm a big Jon Jones fan, I see him as the inevitable MMA GOAT, but in a standup only fight, Prime Mike Tyson would have no trouble closing in on Jon Jones or most any other MMA fighter LHW and up. His head movement, power, speed and explosiveness was legendary for a HW. Throwing strikes at Mike Tyson is dangerous as F*ck if you aren't an elite Boxer. Tyson would slip, step, close the distance and rip on strikes like this.

cormier%2Buppercut.gif

If that was Tyson's hands instead of DC, it would have been over. Doesn't even have to be to the head either, he can put HWs down with body shots just as easy. If Jon Jones could use his wrestling against Tyson, Jon Jones wins easy. But you take away grappling and it is no longer MMA, the chances of a KO artist Boxer like Tyson is very high at the point. I mean we all see how dangerous Rumble's hands are, Mike Tyson was a whole nother level of danger.
I thought this conversation started about *current* Tyson, who was mediocre as a boxer at the end if his career, and that was ages ago.

It's unclear to me if he'd have anything standing for Jones in a kickboxing fight with MMA gloves or ten ounce gloves. I think Jones would win today via kicks. Both low and head kicks. Maybe knees too, though coming in for a knee would be dangerous.

Prime Tyson would of course nuke him in such a fight.

Nope, he still wouldn't. Boxing is far too one dimensional. Jones would be able to keep him out of reach with teeps and side/spinning kicks as long as he wants, and Tyson wouldn't even get into range.
Someone like Hoost/Hari, sure, Jones is getting put out, but a boxer? They're way too limited to compete
GGG would sleep Jones along with many boxers

Tyson is able to that because there's no threat of knees and kicks. He's never had to defend against those and probably doesn't even know how to check. He would get obliterated at distance. 71 inch reach vs 84.5.

First, lets not pretend that every Mixed Martial artist is a K1 striker. Jon Jones more likely isn't going to KO Tyson with knees and kicks, he hasn't knocked anyone out with that. & Tyson isn't an easy target to hit either. The guy can move, he has better footwork than Jon, better head movement, more speed, more punching power, and we are talking about giving Tyson 4oz gloves, which should probably be against the law. Although Jon is one of the most well rounded fighters MMA has seen, his strength still lies in his greco wrestling background. So you are talking about taking away his biggest strength as a grappler(which opens his striking), against a Boxer like Tyson who's specialty is striking and knockouts in a standup only fight. Tyson's chances are very good in a standup only fight against Jon Jones (the inevitable MMA GOAT) or any other fighter in MMA history. But I can see we won't agree so lets agree to disagree. But I think you underestimate the standup of Boxers, their footwork, timing, and precision.

First, lets not pretend that every Mixed Martial artist is a K1 striker. Jon Jones more likely isn't going to KO Tyson with knees and kicks, he hasn't knocked anyone out with that. & Tyson isn't an easy target to hit either. The guy can move, he has better footwork than Jon, better head movement, more speed, more punching power, and we are talking about giving Tyson 4oz gloves, which should probably be against the law. Although Jon is one of the most well rounded fighters MMA has seen, his strength still lies in his greco wrestling background. So you are talking about taking away his biggest strength as a grappler(which opens his striking), against a Boxer like Tyson who's specialty is striking and knockouts in a standup only fight. Tyson's chances are very good in a standup only fight against Jon Jones (the inevitable MMA GOAT) or any other fighter in MMA history. But I can see we won't agree so lets agree to disagree. But I think you underestimate the standup of Boxers, their footwork, timing, and precision.
Don't underestimate it at all. And I don't think Jones is gonna knock him out with punches. But Tyson wouldn't know what to do with kicks. He's a boxer which is a portion of a stand up fight. 71 in vs 84.5 just the arms. Legs would be more. Tyson would eat one leg kick and he'd be done. It's incredible difficult to take a kick if you haven't trained your whole life to do so.

You're also forgetting in boxing, Tyson can dirty box. In a stand up fight he's getting plummed and kneed to the body and face all day. And this is a person whose never defended against these types of strikes. It's would be a severe beat down. Like I said, it's not like mma fighters don't pack boxer type power. Maybe not the footwork of mayweather but they have the power.

it's actually feasible for Liddell to make a comeback and easily slide into the top ten.
  • Would probably beat Tom Lawlor and Tim Boetsch.
  • Could beat Lil' Nog and Cavalcante.
  • Rematches with Shogun and Evans are toss-ups.
  • I could even see him pulling off an upset against Bader or even Gustafsson (ala Rumble).
  • Then he would get mauled by either Jones, Cormier, or Rumble (imagine saying that in 2006 when Liddell was the light heavyweight champion and Rumble was a welterweight).

Last time he fought Shogun and Rashad, he almost died. He was unconscious for so long.. That was when he still had some semblance of a chin.

If Gus punched him square in the face, it's very likely that he would not survive.

GGG would sleep Jones along with many boxers
I don't think there's a single boxer out there that could hang with a top rate well rounded striker. If you only train to use 10% of your stand up arsenal, the guy who trains 100% is going to beat you. No matter how good you are with your hands, by the time you've taken a few leg kicks you won't be throwing anything

Prime Jones destroys prime Quinton.
I think prime Quinton was stronger than Jones...dude fought like an animal in Pride.definitely not the empty shell of a man Jones beat in the UFC.Hed be a lot better at stuffing the takedowns and Jones had to run from washed up Rampage so it's safe to say beast-mode Mandingo warrior Rampage would put the fear of God in him. Id say Jones gets KTFO or wins a close decision by being craftier and running a lot.

Chuck gets tooled so badly. "Eventually I would hit him" Chuck I feel never had much of a game plan for his fights. Just stand up and throw his power shots and eventually one would land. With Jones you have to be well rounded as fuck, and have the perfect game plan. Chuck was badly outgrappled by Rampage and Randy in his prime. To say that Jones could not do that to him, is idiotic. Jones would break him down systematically and submit or TKO him.

I think prime Quinton was stronger than Jones...dude fought like an animal in Pride.definitely not the empty shell of a man Jones beat in the UFC.Hed be a lot better at stuffing the takedowns and Jones had to run from washed up Rampage so it's safe to say beast-mode Mandingo warrior Rampage would put the fear of God in him. Id say Jones gets KTFO or wins a close decision by being craftier and running a lot.

His record in Pride was spotty and inconsistent as well. Wandy abused him twice, so did Shogun.

why is he even saying this? did chuck say something, or is jones just trying to shift attention away from his criminal activity?
He claimed he'd outwrestle Rumble, and KO Jones.
I think he's full of himself.
Both prime Wand and Rampage would finish prime Chuck 3 times out of 3 imo.
Current Jones beats all 3 of them in the same year.

I don't think there's a single boxer out there that could hang with a top rate well rounded striker. If you only train to use 10% of your stand up arsenal, the guy who trains 100% is going to beat you. No matter how good you are with your hands, by the time you've taken a few leg kicks you won't be throwing anything
Footwork and hands are more like 70% of striking. Anytime a guy throws a kick a straight punch coming down the pipe.

I hope it's a joke ?
I'm not even sure he would get past Boetsch at the end of his career, let alone now after a , the guy can't take a punch anymore..
He got knocked out thrice in a row and that had a five fucking years hiatus without fighting training..
How can anyone imagine him winning against any top 15 LHW ?
People get so consumed with our gif/highlight reel culture in MMA, that they only fixate completely on finishes of fights, and judge a fighter's skills solely from that.

Liddell was winning against Franklin, and wasn't doing too bad against Shogun or Evans, before he got knocked out (in a lot of cases due to his own overaggressiveness and unnecessarily having left himself open for a clean shot he could no longer take).

So everyone sees Liddell as a rundown guy that you just gotta touch on the chin, and he's out--ignoring the fact that he's got a crazy reach/range to keep you at bay, impeccable takedown defense, and probably still enough power to knock you out as you do him.

Liddell is a NIGHTMARE matchup for Bader--exactly the type of fighter Bader has historically lost easily too (ala Machida, Ortiz, Rumble). And Gustafsson's motivation is questionable--he's vulnerable to lose a decision, and he could just as easily get cracked by Liddell as he did by Rumble.

Other veteran fighters, ala Shogun, Lil Nog, Cavalcante, and even Evans seem to be just as rundown, and it would be a toss-up. Evans is not the killer he was eight years ago, and even then, Liddell was holding his own until he got cracked by the overhand.

Doesn't sounds like a fact. More like an opinion.
Who was rated best is not an opinion. Shogun was rated best.

And perhaps we shouldn't say Jones beats Prime Shogun as a fact, as Shogun would win sometimes if they fought a 100 times - but he'd certainly be a huge favorite over him.

Jones is a large favorite over every LHW ever.

Not for KO'ing Chuck, but maybe one day he would get points for humility, class and professionalism. Traits which he sorely lacks.

People get so consumed with our gif/highlight reel culture in MMA, that they only fixate completely on finishes of fights, and judge a fighter's skills solely from that.

Liddell was winning against Franklin, and wasn't doing too bad against Shogun or Evans, before he got knocked out (in a lot of cases due to his own overaggressiveness and unnecessarily having left himself open for a clean shot he could no longer take).

So everyone sees Liddell as a rundown guy that you just gotta touch on the chin, and he's out--ignoring the fact that he's got a crazy reach/range to keep you at bay, impeccable takedown defense, and probably still enough power to knock you out as you do him.

Liddell is a NIGHTMARE matchup for Bader--exactly the type of fighter Bader has historically lost easily too (ala Machida, Ortiz, Rumble). And Gustafsson's motivation is questionable--he's vulnerable to lose a decision, and he could just as easily get cracked by Liddell as he did by Rumble.

Other veteran fighters, ala Shogun, Lil Nog, Cavalcante, and even Evans seem to be just as rundown, and it would be a toss-up. Evans is not the killer he was eight years ago, and even then, Liddell was holding his own until he got cracked by the overhand.
thats a lot of text just to say nothing

The light heavyweight division is so weak, I think it's actually feasible for Liddell to make a comeback and easily slide into the top ten.
  • Would probably beat Tom Lawlor and Tim Boetsch.
  • Could beat Lil' Nog and Cavalcante.
  • Rematches with Shogun and Evans are toss-ups.
  • I could even see him pulling off an upset against Bader or even Gustafsson (ala Rumble).
  • Then he would get mauled by either Jones, Cormier, or Rumble (imagine saying that in 2006 when Liddell was the light heavyweight champion and Rumble was a welterweight).

The wind would blow and Chuck would go to sleep. He can't take even the slightest shots anymore, add to that I would never advocate for one of my favorite fighters to come back and make a fool of themselves. About killed me watching Shadface KO Chuck..

You know I'm correct, Kylie.
50 y/o chuck who hasnt fought since 2010 cant beat rashad because he wasnt losing for 3 minutes against non-ranked franklin 6 years ago

50 y/o chuck who hasnt fought since 2010 cant beat rashad because he wasnt losing for 3 minutes against non-ranked franklin 6 years ago
People also thought Sylvia was going to easily pointbox Couture for five rounds, and then they immediately jumped on the Couture bandwagon (as if they were always on), and thought Couture was going to easily dismantle 2-1 professional wrestler Lesnar.

Same for Holm over Rousey. There were like ten people (out of thousands) on Sherdog who thought that Holm was going to beat Rousey. After she demolishes her, everyone jumps on her bandwagon as if they always knew.

The point is, styles make fights, and age hasn't proven to be much of a factor.

As we see above, people are completely consumed with "gif culture," and assume that Liddell will knock himself out getting into the octagon because all they've seen of Liddell are gifs of him getting KO'd in brutal fashion.

Back