1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Jon Jones won the 2nd round

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by LoadedZeus, Feb 9, 2020.

1. LoadedZeus Purple Belt

It was a close fight and it could've gone either way, but its surprising to see so many people claim it was a robbery or a fix. It all came down to the second round and unfortunately I don't have footage just yet but Jones won that round.

If you try to recall the second round, Reyes started the round off fast chasing Jones with flurries after landing a good right hand and thats actually when Reyes landed most of his strikes that round. Jones was against the cage but he was evading every strikes left and right with every significant strike landing on his arms or thin air. Thought he did pretty well to avoid getting hit clean. Reyes landed most of the strikes in that round in those opening exchanges.

About 2 mins into the round, Jones was controlling the center of the cage landing leg kicks and throwing strikes conservatively. He landed one leg kick that seemed to hurt Reyes that round as well. Near the end of the round, Jones caught Reyes with a clean left hook that clearly hurt Reyes a bit and had Jones chasing him with strikes before the round ended.

Stats showed Reyes landed 27 significant strikes that round while Jones landed 21. Doesn't show the full picture of the round for a full 5 mins and I think it is fair to say Jones won that round as well as vice versa. IMHO Jones won round 2 as well as 4 and 5. Not a robbery in any way but judge scoring it 49-46 for Jones is straight up crazy

2. Hotora86 taking points for fouls regardless of intent

Reyes 1,2,3

3. Justinboxing Banned Banned

4. BC Helax

Jones 2,3,4,5 <JonesLaugh>

5. Deezer Brown Belt

Id have to watch it again but at the time I remember thinking that could go either way. Slightly leaned to Reyes but thought it could easy be the opposite. Rd 2 is the stumbling block for who wins the fight (taking that 4-1 nonesense out of there)

This is MMA though. Every close fight is a 'robbery'.

6. sssleeper Green Belt

Sherdog and Mmafighting (the only play-by-plays I read) scored Rd 2 for Jones and 48-47 for Jones.

I scored Rd 2 for Reyes based on strikes, but at the same time maybe it doesn't negate Jones advancing and "octagon control".

Close fight that could have gone either way. Not a robbery at the end of the day.

The only real problem was Stevie Wonder as one of the judges giving 4 rds to Jones.

7. Robholland Blue Belt

Reyes won the rounds, Jon won the fight.

8. 3timesacharm Brown Belt

he didnt though

9. Break Brick Black Belt

I think Octagon control is only supposed to be factored in if the striking or grappling were close, which wasn't the case t in round 2. Clear round for Reyes on current scoring criteria imo.

10. Rum Champion of Champions

Yeah, Reyes out-landed Jon pretty comfortably, I agree

I had 2, 4, 5 for Jon when I first watched it, but on second thoughts R2 was pretty clearly Reyes

By the Unifed Rules, "aggressiveness" and "octagon control" are only considered if the striking/grappling is fairly even, and it wasn't in R2

There was no significant grappling in R2 and Reyes easily took the striking

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  11. x__stylez__x Black Belt

12. Oooxente Red Belt

Reyes

13. Break Brick Black Belt

This actually makes way more sense than anyone giving Jones 3 rounds imo. Jones shouldn't still be "undefetaed" or the champion, but he did have a moral victory in looking like if the fight had continued, he would have eventually beaten Reyes.

That being said, he should have los his belt last night and by the current criteria Reyes should be champion, he was robbed.

14. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

So Jones do you think you won ?
    YEAH I TOOK HIM DOWN
    <{Ray1}>

15. TheLastEmperorReurns Banned Banned

This

16. CPH street lethal

So you’re ignoring the actual strike stats and cherry-picking sequences you personally liked.

<YeahOKJen>

17. Didn't people debate rd 2 vs Gus 1? Like that is always the controversial round for Jones. At this point tho I think he has it down to a science on how to win on the cards.

18. broke as hell Blue Belt

no he didn't.

19. fortheo Titanium Belt

Round 4 was the controversial round in gus vs Jones 1. Gus was picking away at Jones for about four minutes and then Jones landed one spinning Elbow, which wasn't a knock down, and he won that round because of that elbow.

20. JustBLEED123 Blue Belt

R1 - Reyes
    R2 - close round
    R3 - Reyes
    R4 - Jones
    R5 - Jones

I had it 48-47 jones

21. LoadedZeus Purple Belt

Reyes lost round 2. Get over it. All 3 judges scored it for Jones. Considering the round was that close, you have to give it to Jones since he is defending champ. Unnecessary as Jones did enough to take the round