Jon Jones vs Stipe Miocic

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by sssleeper, Jan 6, 2015.

1. sssleeper

sssleeper Orange Belt

I posted this in the other thread talking about JJ moving up, but it got me thinking and it's something I think would be a great fight to welcome him to HW if/when he decides to go up.

He's a very athletic guy of the same height with an 80 inch reach and good credentials in wrestling and boxing. Outside of a weird TKO loss to Struve the guy has looked awesome in all of his fights, even his loss to JDS.

I think Jones would struggle to take him down and the combo of reach and boxing Stipe has is a challenge Jones has yet to face. If JJ gets passed him I think it would be telling that his skills and gifts would translate decently at heavyweight and if he doesn't, then it shows he belongs at 205.

On another note, Stipe has come in as light as 236lbs for a HW clash (he was up to 245 for JDS though). If he isn't going to be getting a crack at HW gold any time soon, perhaps he can get down to LHW? I don't mean to sound like one of those guys who suggests every HW is capable of getting down in weight, but he may be one of them. He could breathe new life into the division and get a title shot with only one win just to show he can make the weight and still perform. If that's the case, give him Phil Davis for his first opponent.

Thoughts?

2. Mike01010101a

Mike01010101a Brown Belt

Miocic is tough but he is too one dimensional for Jones. Jones takes him down and all over.

3. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

I think Jones beating a guy that was a top 3 hw a year ago already showed that.

I'm not saying Jones would dominate at hw, or even beat Stipe - but there can't be any reasonable doubt left that he would at least be competitive at hw.

4. MMun

MMun Black Belt

I think they have similar frames and would probably be around the same size if Jones put a bit of muscle on or Stipe lost a little to try and make LHW. It would be a competitive fight, but I'd give Jones the edge due to his more varied striking and good cardio.

5. sssleeper

sssleeper Orange Belt

That's a fair statement. I don't think the Cormier that exists present day would still be a top 3 HW, that is if he put his weight back on a moved up, but I agree beating Cormier, especially the way he did says a lot.

My other logic, is that JJ is hittable. He is an effective striker no doubt, uses his tools well and lights people up. But when people get in on him he does get hit a bit, etc.
    If a person with an 80 inch reach doesn't have to work as hard to get in on him and has the power of a heavyweight then perhaps that is enough of a game changer for JJ?

6. Bokelj

Bokelj Trigger central

Stipe would wreck him, Jones doesn't have KO punching power and he took the best JDS threw at him.
    His wrestling is good so he has no fear of the takedown IMO.

7. Zozoft

Zozoft Yellow Belt

It would be a good fight for Bones, good test to the HW division.

8. Bloodworth

Bloodworth Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Maybe like Anderson Silva moving up and facing James whats his name...

9. thobra

thobra Black Belt

It's a bit unfair to give him one of the top guys like Stipe. How about Roy or Mir to see how it goes, and if he does good, he can fight a top 10 guy?

I would love to see Jones fight more guys his own size, to see how impressive he is. Since fighting only smaller guys, he should be expected to win, but HW is interesting, especially since he did struggle a bit with the only big guy he fought.

10. Donny White

Donny White Brown Belt

It'd be a lot closer than people think.

11. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

While the latter is somewhat true, I don't see how that makes you jump to the conclusion that Stipe would wreck Jones. So, cause Jones probably won't ko Stipe, it means Stipe would wreck Jones? I must have missed parts of that equation.

12. cyrusthevyrus

cyrusthevyrus Black Belt

JDS vs Jones - JDS via KO

13. DawsonLucas

DawsonLucas Green Belt

Too much for a first fight.

You silly fanboys are insane. Miocic is no joke. Give credit to the guy he used his boxing quiet well against JDS and survived huge bombs from Cigano.

Did you see what Miocic did to Maldonado? Iron granite chinned Maldonado? Take a minute to realize that even a power puncher liek Texeira in the LHW division couldn't bring down Maldonado and he had to sustain a beating.

Miocic landed one punch and Maldonado immediately saw Jesus and Vitor. Then the barrage happened.
    HW power is no joke especially if it's backed up by technique like Stipe.

I'm sure you'll all whine about Struve beating him but it's not like Stipe has improved right? It's not like the best fighters in world have loses and learned from that and improved right? Oh and it's not like it was a one sided beat down, Struve was getting wobbled in that fight too.

14. Bokelj

Bokelj Trigger central

Fear of the takedown or KO limits your mobility and ability somewhat. By having the mental edge of no fear of the takedown or getting hit clean and KO'd it means that you can loosen up and let go.

JJ won't have the luxury of thinking he can just eat a HW punch. Yeah yeah, *insert cormier comments* but he has not been tested by a pure HW. So yeah, I believe that Stipe would wreck him, atm at least, this is not taking bulking and getting tested at HW in the equation.

15. PorkPiePusher

PorkPiePusher Loro Piana cashmere belt

No real way of knowing, since I believe HW is a whole different ball game when compared to LHW - more weight, more power, larger average frame of fighters, different strategic priorities due to the increased oxygen consumption of the larger frame and the greater percentage of fighters having KO power.

If I had to gues, I think it would be very close either way.

16. MartyMcFry

MartyMcFry Brown Belt

Stipe would bloody him up.

17. ButterStoch

ButterStoch Blue Belt

You might be forgetting that Stipe, like Jones is also a HW.
    He did more powerful damage in 1 strike than Maldanado's entire LHW career.

Basically, imagine what would happen if Stipe, Werdum, Cain, Browne fought LHWs. That's what Jones would be dealing with. If 1 punch by Lyoto gets him to run away, getting cracked by Stipe would give Greg Jackson & hs corner a heart attack.

18. LGVB

LGVB Green Belt

Damn it, that fight seems awesome. Make it happen, DFW. Stipe has pretty good chances, imo.

19. CrimsonFan

CrimsonFan Gold Belt

I like Stipe in a 3 round fight. Jones in a 5 rounder.

20. heavyarms21

heavyarms21 Ryozanpaku Belt

Jones works him over , Stipe took JDS best shots but that doesn't mean Jones can't hurt him , Struve did and he isn't the biggest hitter either , I think Jones wears him down in the wrestling and beats Stipe up with dirty in fighting