Jon Jones vs. Cain Velasquez - who wins? When will Jones start losing?

FlamingSamurai

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I think it's unanimous that no fighter in his weight class or Anderson Silva could better Jon Jones - the guy is unstoppable.

Hypothetically, let's assume Jon Jones fights at 230lbs, against Cain Velasquez (240ish), who would win?

Jon Jones would have a considerable height & reach advantage, with Cormier adopting a similar fighting style and frame to Cain. Cain is clearly stronger than DC but it's not that significant, I personally think Jones would also beat Velasquez.

.....are there any other heavyweights which could defeat/cause problems for JJ? ...Werdum? Browne? Hunt? (unlikely)

One More Thing: Cocaine is likely to reduce the length of his career, and many fighters continue fighting well past their peak, will Jon Jones do this? If so, how old do you think he will be before he starts losing?

Last edited:
It's hard to bet against Jones. But Cain would definitely be in his face all night, and it would be one hell of a fight.

I think he beats Cain as well. And cements his GOAT status.

Jones will never fight again at an A-level.

Cain tko by the 3rd round. people dont realize how much better cain is than DC.

DC at HW isnt gettin past dos santos.....And that is my mmath for this fight.

...but JDS isn't getting past Jones?

Don't they refer to DC as the "team captain"? I think Cain & DC are quite evenly matched.

From what I hear DC gets the better of Cain in sparring.

Could be. iv seen a vid or 2 of it seeming like cain was in control. but you cant take them for anything cause im sure they work out before they spar and what not.

In a fight Cain > DC. especially if DC is throwin body kick like he did against jones

There is a member that posts here that trains at DC & Cain's gym.

He says that they put on some epic sparring wars, but that Cain is usually the one who gets the better of DC. His striking is superior.

1 week ago I would have said Cain easy... No, I'm not so sure Jones doesn't beat him

I'm sure a lot of it is mental (it's still just sparring plus there's mutual respect in the gym) and styles make fights. Cain is a much better, faster striker who mixes up his wrestling and striking; DC is more Couture-like: grinding, clinching, dirty-boxing.

Cain handily beat a 265 prime Lesnar so I have to go with him. At their level, size starts to really matter and Cain has shown he can handle 265 pounds of NCAA behemoth and XXXL fists.

See Bisping vs Rockhold for sparring stories vs real fight.

I'm sure a lot of it is mental (it's still just sparring plus there's mutual respect in the gym) and styles make fights. Cain is a much better, faster striker who mixes up his wrestling and striking; DC is more Couture-like: grinding, clinching, dirty-boxing.

Cain handily beat a 265 prime Lesnar so I have to go with him. At their level, size starts to really matter and Cain has shown he can handle 265 pounds of NCAA behemoth and XXXL fists.

i see what your saying, but after round 2-3 with jones brock would gass and get devoured

Unless Jones added 40lbs of muscle I don't see him beating Cain, just not strong enough.

Really good point about their different styles.

~DaViD~

I think it's unanimous that no fighter in his weight class or Anderson Silva could better Jon Jones - the guy is unstoppable.

Hypothetically, let's assume Jon Jones fights at 230lbs, against Cain Velasquez (240ish), who would win?

Jon Jones would have a considerable height & reach advantage, with Cormier adopting a similar fighting style and frame to Cain. Cain is clearly stronger than DC but it's not that significant, I personally think Jones would also beat Velasquez.

.....are there any other heavyweights which could defeat/cause problems for JJ? ...Werdum? Browne? Hunt? (unlikely)

One More Thing: Cocaine is likely to reduce the length of his career, and many fighters continue fighting well past their peak, will Jon Jones do this? If so, how old do you think he will be before he starts losing?

You should know better. When did you become interested in fighting?

They said the same thing about Royce, St. Pierre, both Silvas. They said about Tyson, Ali & even Mayweather will lose if he doesn't retire.

The only champ in a combat sport I know of was Rocky Marciano, retired at 49-0.

No one is unstoppable, they are all human. I was a big Fedor fan, I felt he was unstoppable until Arlovski almost won a round & Fedor KOd him. 1 round was all it took for me to give up believing in that myth & that was having 28 wins in a row....at HW when Fedor was the size of a MW.

Jones has given up a lot more than that & he has had the luxury of being larger & stronger than every opponent he ever faced.

He won't have that luxury at HW. I know it feels like giving up your belief in Santa & you will choose to hold.that belief until it gets exposed. Some people clung to it so much they thought Silva purposely got KOd & had his face used like a paddleball.

You want to believe it, but his fans will get a reality check if it ever happens. I commend BJ Penn for actually daring to fight champions in the division above him, but he just didn't give a damn about his record so he took risks. Jones is doing the reverse & it's because he is obsessed with being percieved as the best fighter....he is a narcissist. He won't jeopardize that image by fighting top HWs, unless he becomes delusional....which is possible.

Last edited:
Jones is a smart fighter and he will beat Cain the same way he beat DC. He will deliver great knees and punches to the body. Shertards will dismiss Cain and accuse him of bad cardio like Jones has got nothing to do with it.

once cain beats werdum, everyone saying that jones would win, will start saying that cain would win.

this place always favors the fighter that recently won. that's sherdog for ya.

Jones would go through Cain like nothing...ok yea I know it's a shitty joke

Back