Jon jones "the problem was I concentrated too much on my boxing for this fight"

And he still sucked at it. LOL

Gus had his hands down low. Jones knew he would not get the takedown.

Agreed. Gus was running around the first 2 rounds trying to sneak in and out. Jon was chopping up his legs until midway through 3 when gus finally started to stay in the pocket more. I think if gus would keep the pressure up close, he could have wilted jones.

Exactly. There were a couple instances where Jon would lean back and to the right to avoid the right hands, but as a consequence it also put him in the range of Gus's left hook. Jones was lost outside of throwing kicks and the occasional spinning elbow. Gus's timing was great and he jabbed well and attacked from good angles and lead well, But ,imo, some of his choices made the fight closer than it probably should have been. Had his decision making been a bit better we would have a new LHW champion.

Jones should concentrate on DBZ again, he concentrate on Boxing too much so he can compete with Gus in the boxing department, but Jones definitely need to go back to his root that made him beast and so good.

Before Jones destroy Shogun, he was talking about how DBZ inspired him to fight like them.
Jones need to go to his old root.
Same with Aldo, he need to go to his old brutality root.
WEC Aldo was a beast destroyer, UFC Aldo went on the decline.

Jones should have kept his mouth shut. Gus was stuffing his TD's with ease.

"The problem was I haven't concentrated too much on my boxing for my entire career..."

Fixed. :icon_lol:

Long before this fight I've been saying that Jones' boxing & striking defense is borderline horrible. He lands his jab, but mainly due to his length, not technical efficiency. He makes people miss, but again, due to his length, not technical efficiency. He needs to learn how to block, parry, slip punches, etc. With his wrestling, TKD, reach & understanding on how to use his length, he'd be a very tough guy to beat if he "concentrated too much" on those aspects of boxing. He doesn't need to become Ray Robinson, but if Jones could develop a Larry Holmes type jab, he'd be a nightmare even if he developed nothing more in the boxing area. The way he carries his hands & the techniques that he uses to defend strikes will make him vulnerable to good strikers & counter-strikers who have decent reach, timing &/or an uncanny ability to get inside to land & circle out safely...

"The problem was I haven't concentrated too much on my boxing for my entire career..."

Fixed. :icon_lol:

Long before this fight I've been saying that Jones' boxing & striking defense is borderline horrible. He lands his jab, but mainly due to his length, not technical efficiency. He makes people miss, but again, due to his length, not technical efficiency. He needs to learn how to block, parry, slip punches, etc. With his wrestling, TKD, reach & understanding on how to use his length, he'd be a very tough guy to beat if he "concentrated too much" on those aspects of boxing. He doesn't need to become Ray Robinson, but if Jones could develop a Larry Holmes type jab, he'd be a nightmare even if he developed nothing more in the boxing area. The way he carries his hands & the techniques that he uses to defend strikes will make him vulnerable to good strikers & counter-strikers who have decent reach, timing &/or an uncanny ability to get inside to land & circle out safely...

This. The man was absolutely lost out there with the hands. He kept running into the same shots over and over.

The front kicks to the kneecap ( wich were 90% of his strikes ) should be made illegal imo. his analogy of well a heel hook will tear your ACL as well, is wrong. You have the option to tap before receving a career ending injury. With the kicks you do not. hes sucha piece of...

When has anyone been injured by one of these kicks that should be illegal? People always complain but I have yet to see proof of one fighter being seriously injured by them. Haters like to key in on them but there is nothing there. They just look bad.

yeah it showed

1231627_534263456653465_1449401384_n.jpg

He doesn't even have the most basic fundamental of boxing in offense or defense.

He is the Bob Sapp of the UFC LHW, winning more on freak body size than talent or skill as a fighter.

lol you people look for any reason to jump at jon jones. you are misunderstanding what he said. kind of like anderson trains for himself and what he does best...not based on what his opponent is good at. jon neglected the area's that he is best at and it hurt him... aka wrestling. he is not a pure boxer and absolutely never will be. he needs to stick to his gameplan and do what he does best. unorthodox striking(knees,elbows,kicks etc..) standing and on the ground...and wrestling.

he more than likely meant standup in general. You have to consider that proper context is going to be difficult after fighting for 25minutes solid and getting punched in the head a lot.

Right, that is how I read it as well. He basically is saying (underneath it all) that he should focus on bringing the fight to the place he has the greatest chance of winning. Against Gus, that is the ground. He wanted to beat Gus at his own game and almost lost in the process.

He doesn't even have the most basic fundamental of boxing in offense or defense.

He is the Bob Sapp of the UFC LHW, winning more on freak body size than talent or skill as a fighter.

That's idiotic. He has excellent wrestling, great control of distance, uses kicks and elbows very well. He even has some nasty submissions up his sleeve.

He definitely takes advantage of his physical attributes (does it well too). But to call him talentless just shows you either hate the man, don't watch his fights or don't know shit about MMA.

This. The man was absolutely lost out there with the hands. He kept running into the same shots over and over.

I think the gameplan he was going with was what was happening. Jones was chopping at gus legs and body the first two rounds which slowed down gus the 345.
I think jones biggest problem is he kept trying to track him down with striking when gus was fast.

If I was jones next fight i'd go to the clinch faster.
If I was gus i'd press more in trapping range but stay out of the clinch. Kind of what he did now just be more aggressive.

It looked to me like he mainly focused on his kicking game and with the occasionally spinning elbow thrown in. I'd have to rewatch the fight, but I don't remember him throwing that many punches throughout the fight. Many leg, body, and head kicks, some elbows, and many failed takedowns. The fact is Jones threw everything he had at Gus, but with Gus' iron chin he couldn't hurt him and to make matters worse for Jon, he couldn't sniff a takedown until Gus was completely gassed and hardly able to stand up.

I just can't say enough how impressed with Gustafsson I was. Jones also showed a lot of heart. I expected him to start to wilt leading into the 4th round, because I feel like Gus was shutting down his game, but Jones kept in the game and really took it to Gus in the 4th.

Still, it was great to see Jones get beat up and look human. I really don't like that guy...and who better than Gus to give him a beating?

Back