Jon jones "the problem was I concentrated too much on my boxing for this fight"

He said this immediately after the fight...

Really jon ??? REALLY ?!?!?

I've watched the fight twice now and can't recall jones even attempting a single boxing combination during the fight, let alone establishing a jab or any sort of head movement ....and he thinks he trained too much boxing? Wtf

In reality Gus totally outclassed him in the boxing department, jones did well with kicks and elbows - but to suggest his performance wasn't up to par because he focused too much on boxing is ludicrous! .... In reality, it's the area he needs to work on the most..

He was referring, generically, to his stand-up striking, not classic boxing, I think.

When jones could establish range against a similar sized opponent, his striking looked v ordinary. The elbows and power strikes only came when gus tired and movement slowed. This doesnt bode well for jones at hw

That's how I read it. Similar to Kos saying he didn't focus on wrestling for the first GSP fight because he never expected GSP's wrestling to be so good. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jones camp didn't focus on wrestling, assuming he had that aspect of the fight in the bag, and instead focused on boxing/striking because they knew that would be his weaker area against Gus. In that context, this comment makes perfect sense to me.
Right, and I think people are reading entirely too much into what he's stated.

Also, I think a lot of people are overlooking the fact that Gus trained like crazy for this and showed up to take Jones' belt. He obviously studied the tape and left it all in the Octagon. Jones certainly learned from the experience, but I don't think it was some dramatic failure on his part. Gus had a combination of heart, physical ability, good camp, homework, and drive. None of these make Jones a worse fighter than he ever was, but they're both young and are obviously still growing/improving as fighters.

If Jones wasn't reflecting on his performance, with the intent to improve, that would be a bigger problem. Same goes for Gus, good a job as he did.

Well that was the point, he couldn't really excel with the boxing against Gus so if he had a bigger priority in the other parts of his game maybe he could have won it easier that way. How can you hate on this? Seriously...

This is what he meant.

he is lucky he trained "too much boxing" because he was having some serious issues getting the fight to the ground and even when he did it was brief.

Jones kicking game is way ahead of his punching. His boxing is pretty damn bad.

"I concentrated too much on my boxing for this fight"

Loose translation: "I saw how Money Mayweather made 42 mil in his last fight and thought I'd focus my training to showcase my boxing skills in this fight in order to possibly open some doors down the road for a boxing career or payday against the Klitschko brothers. This fight proved I am not a natural boxer and my talent lies in the MIXED part of MMA."

He said this immediately after the fight...

Really jon ??? REALLY ?!?!?

I've watched the fight twice now and can't recall jones even attempting a single boxing combination during the fight, let alone establishing a jab or any sort of head movement ....and he thinks he trained too much boxing? Wtf

In reality Gus totally outclassed him in the boxing department, jones did well with kicks and elbows - but to suggest his performance wasn't up to par because he focused too much on boxing is ludicrous! .... In reality, it's the area he needs to work on the most..

In reality he still has the title and you need a bottle.

What jon is saying is that he trained to his opponent's strengths instead of his own. But who knows, perhaps Jon's boxing training is what kept Gus from knocking him out.

What jon is saying is that he trained to his opponent's strengths instead of his own. But who knows, perhaps Jon's boxing training is what kept Gus from knocking him out.

No, an overly hesitant Gus was the primary reason that the beating wasn't significantly worse.

i think what he meant by that was 'i couldnt get a take down.'

No, an overly hesitant Gus was the primary reason that the beating wasn't significantly worse.

Agreed. Gus was running around the first 2 rounds trying to sneak in and out. Jon was chopping up his legs until midway through 3 when gus finally started to stay in the pocket more. I think if gus would keep the pressure up close, he could have wilted jones.

It probably did help him stay out of most trouble, however if he only worked his wrestling his whole camp he might of Brand Vera'd him.

Yes ...but he never actually boxed against Gus ....at all ... So I can't how boxing was the problem when he never even implemented it in the fight.

What do you mean? The entire fight was fought standing up. Jones (wisely IMO) realized he should shoot for take downs. How does that mean he didn't focus on boxing in his training? Btw jones is admitting he made a mistake in that.

Edit: as people have said I think he jus meant standup not "boxing". I am as puzzled as you guys if that isn't what he meant.

Seems to me he is saying he prepared for a stand up war when he should have worked on taking the fight to the mat. Which is what I thought he would do anyway.
He does have a thing for trying to beat others at their own game. But his striking is not the best in the division at all.

I remember watching the Countdown show, and Jon Jones was talking about how he thinks he's the best striker in the LHW division and wants to get his first KO on "the Mauler". Right then I knew he was heavily underestimating his opponent and the audacity to think that he could go toe to toe with someone who in my opinion is the best striker in the division. Gus has an exceptional striking game and fearlessness of trading blows with his opponent. Jones relied heavily on his range and threat of take down intimidating his opponents so he could dismantle them from the outside. Alexander came in with a great game plan, and that was not to let Jones get comfortable, establish his outside game, and get take downs.
With that being said, Jones' kicks are pretty good, he just needs to work on either boxing ( jabs, and lots of them) or setting up combinations for kicks. I do think that whatever striking Jones worked on leading up to this fight helped with his head movement, because Gus was so close to landing uppercuts all night long, yet Jones would barely get out of the way.

What do you mean? The entire fight was fought standing up. Jones (wisely IMO) realized he should shoot for take downs. How does that mean he didn't focus on boxing in his training? Btw jones is admitting he made a mistake in that.

Edit: as people have said I think he jus meant standup not "boxing". I am as puzzled as you guys if that isn't what he meant.

he more than likely meant standup in general. You have to consider that proper context is going to be difficult after fighting for 25minutes solid and getting punched in the head a lot.

Back