Jon jones "the problem was I concentrated too much on my boxing for this fight"

I think he focused too much on STANDUP not boxing as he threw a barrage of kicks and was't exactly letting his hands go and throwing combos

I think he needs to work his power double for a rematch with Gus he obviously couldn't trip him or toss him in the clinch and the only takedown he got was a double leg if memory serves correct

He said this immediately after the fight...

Really jon ??? REALLY ?!?!?

I've watched the fight twice now and can't recall jones even attempting a single boxing combination during the fight, let alone establishing a jab or any sort of head movement ....and he thinks he trained too much boxing? Wtf

In reality Gus totally outclassed him in the boxing department, jones did well with kicks and elbows - but to suggest his performance wasn't up to par because he focused too much on boxing is ludicrous! .... In reality, it's the area he needs to work on the most..

Maybe that is what the issue was, Gus is so far ahead of Jones in the boxing aspect of MMA that he felt all his boxing training was worthless and he was better off working on his kickboxing and unorthodox techniques because those aspects of fighting were actually working for him.

Lol, Jones is beastly striker, but his punches definitely aren't his strong point.

His defensive didn't look good either, kicks, grappling etc. was major reason why Alex couldn't punch his head off, IMO.

He was just not use to getting tagged even with his hand out. Jon was not that focused with his boxing maybe kicking but not boxing. At one point he was dying to get the fight to the ground.

That's what I saw. Jones has a great round kick and cross kick. Maybe he meant kickboxing

Gus didn't give him much of a choice. Those 11 stuffed takedowns.

Maybe that is what the issue was, Gus is so far ahead of Jones in the boxing aspect of MMA that he felt all his boxing training was worthless and he was better off working on his kickboxing and unorthodox techniques because those aspects of fighting were actually working for him.

Yes, thats what I tried to write. Some of these people are looking at it backwards.

Okey boxing Jon Jones ill repost this stat thrown around during the fight:
official stat come minute 1:13 of round 4 "HEAD STRIKES LANDED Gus 88 Jones 18"

while at the same time trashing Gustaffsson's.

damn in before someone bumps threads saying Jones would beat mayweather in boxing match lol

Bullshit

Unless jones was training himself they wouldn't have came in with a plan just boxing

The front kicks to the kneecap ( wich were 90% of his strikes ) should be made illegal imo. his analogy of well a heel hook will tear your ACL as well, is wrong. You have the option to tap before receving a career ending injury. With the kicks you do not. hes sucha piece of...

Well that was the point, he couldn't really excel with the boxing against Gus so if he had a bigger priority in the other parts of his game maybe he could have won it easier that way. How can you hate on this? Seriously...

Exactly.

I think Jones may have realized that he should focus on his opponents weaknesses rather than trying to beat them out their own game. It looks like this may have been what he meant when he said that this fight was what he needed. It's almost like GSP post Serra. Jones is also well rounded and very athletic. He should be bringing the fight to wherever he has an advantage. Trying to win a kickboxing match with Gus was stupid.

Exactly.

I think Jones may have realized that he should focus on his opponents weaknesses rather than trying to beat them out their own game. It looks like this may have been what he meant when he said that this fight was what he needed. It's almost like GSP post Serra. Jones is also well rounded and very athletic. He should be bringing the fight to wherever he has an advantage. Trying to win a kickboxing match with Gus was stupid.

Yes ...but he never actually boxed against Gus ....at all ... So I can't how boxing was the problem when he never even implemented it in the fight.

Why Jon feels the need to explain himself to the ingrate 'fans' of this sport is beyond me.

I think a lot of us underestimated Alex's TDD including Jones. He thought his wrestling would help his boxing, and Gus knocked that idea right out of the octagon. I was really impressed with Gus. I knew he was good, but he's just as good as Jones

Props to Jones for hanging in there and persevering during an extremely gritty fight, but how about giving his opponent some credit, instead of saying what Jones did wrong, or that Jones "felt a little off his game" (per his twitter)? He's not making excuses per se, but he can't just say that he gave it his best and Gustafsson was a tough opponent? Jones still won the decision officially, so how about giving some credit without hypocrisy (like saying Alex gave him a tough fight but then subtly discrediting Alex behind his back in a two-faced manner)?

Gustafsson, on the other hand, is quick to say he was honored to fight the champion and Jones is a champion for a reason. Gustafsson did not quickly point out his own failures to follow a gameplan as a subtle way of discrediting Jones's efforts, rather, he was quick to give respect to Jones.

I'm curious what Jones thinks he should've done instead - go for more takedowns? We saw how the wrestling game went. If anything, focusing on his boxing skills helped Jones tremendously in a defensive way throughout the fight - can you imagine how busted up Jon would've been if he didn't focus on boxing?

Yes ...but he never actually boxed against Gus ....at all ... So I can't how boxing was the problem when he never even implemented it in the fight.

I think that's the point. He spent a lot of time training his boxing and then wasn't able to implement it at all in the fight as Gus showed that his boxing was simply better right off the bat in the first round. Thus, that time spent boxing was wasted, for lack of a better word.

I just remember him throwing a lot of elbows and kicks. I don't ever recall him doing any boxing...

Back