Jon Jones Says Stats Show He Is Better MMA Wrestler Than Sonnen

This almost has extreme upset written all over it, like GSP/Serra, with the way people are writing Chael off (which I agree with, btw).

This almost has extreme upset written all over it, like GSP/Serra, with the way people are writing Chael off (which I agree with, btw).

Okay, but HOW will Chael win? KO? No chance. Out point? No chance. Sub? Hard to see that. If he had KO power, I would give him a chance. But I just don't see how Chael can win.

No demented Jones haters unleashing on this thread. This is progress.

Man, Chael is so fucked if you think about it.

Jones is correct,

Can't wait for this fight to be over and we can get some contenders. But I do want to see if Cheal can take jones down.

Last edited:
A guy fighting at LHW was taken down by a guy fighting at WW and you want to use size as an excuse?

Only on sherdog does height matter in terms of TD's in wrestling.

He hasn't heard of Lower center of gravity, the shorter fighter/wrestler actually has the advantage.

But bolsh says a lot of silly shit, I wouldnt pay him any mind.

Last edited:
Okay, but HOW will Chael win? KO? No chance. Out point? No chance. Sub? Hard to see that. If he had KO power, I would give him a chance. But I just don't see how Chael can win.

Same things were said about Serra. The guy won a reality comeback show and was gifted a title shot. Besides, I said it almost has extreme upset written all over it. It's hard to even argue the improbability, because that's still recognizing that there's a chance of him winning. I'm not really sure you understood my post.

Already see the posts on the PBP thread for this fight:

"Dude Sonnen just shot a killer double, his wrestling is better than Jones, and he's going to win this round"

"Sonnen's control is just too much, UD from Chael you heard it here (improper spelling intentional) first"

"Oh fuck triangle attempt by Jones but its ok Chael learned his lesson"

"No fucking way! Jones by Sub...round one...."

"Jones is too damn c***y, he's too scared to move to HW and he only wins at LHW because of his size and reach. Reem>Jones!"

Same things were said about Serra. The guy won a reality comeback show and was gifted a title shot. Besides, I said it almost has extreme upset written all over it. It's hard to even argue the improbability, because that's still recognizing that there's a chance of him winning. I'm not really sure you understood my post.

That was St-Pierre's first defense of the belt, Jones is defending the belt for the 5th time. Big difference. Although Serra shocked everyone that night, this fight is not exactly the same. Your idea does reflect on this fight, but it's hard to even think a similar shocker could happen.

"Dude Sonnen just shot a killer double, his wrestling is better than Jones, and he's going to win this round"

"Sonnen's control is just too much, UD from Chael you heard it here (improper spelling intentional) first"

"Jones is too damn c***y, he's too scared to move to HW and he only wins at LHW because of his size and reach. Reem>Jones!"

Don't forget:

"He put his hands on Chael's head! He poked him in the eye!"

"He just thanked the fans! So fake!"

That was St-Pierre's first defense of the belt, Jones is defending the belt for the 5th time. Big difference. Although Serra shocked everyone that night, this fight is not exactly the same. Your idea does reflect on this fight, but it's hard to even think a similar shocker could happen.

Both of these fights consist of one fighter being unanimously written off. St Pierre was a MONSTER back then, finishing guys left and right (much like Jones is now). Number of title defenses is irrelevant in this comparison, really. A huge upset is still a huge upset.

Don't forget:

"He put his hands on Chael's head! He poked him in the eye!"

"He just thanked the fans! So fake!"

Dont forget,

Cheal was winning until jones began to fight and wrestle.

Cheal could of beat jones if he had his reach.

Both of these fights consist of one fighter being unanimously written off. St Pierre was a MONSTER back then, finishing guys left and right (much like Jones is now). Number of title defenses is irrelevant in this comparison, really. A huge upset is still a huge upset.

I must mention that GSP had lost via armbar prior to the upset. Jones is yet to tap or get TKO'd like GSP. The only peculiar thing about this comparison is that Serra somewhat earned his shot by winning TUF whereas Sonnen earned his via phonecall. At the end of the day the upsets remain but in this case who has a more eligible claim to be considered an upsetter?

Dont forget,

Chael was the one fighting

Chael was overrated anyway

Chael didn't deserve the titleshot

It goes on and on.

I agree.

Having said that, I think Sonnen will be the best wrestler he's fought (I give him a slight edge over Rashad).

In pure wrestling I would definitely give Chael Sonnen the edge.

In pure wrestling, Mark Munoz schooled Chael Sonnen back when they were competing in wrestling, even with Sonnen cheating with an illegal ankle lock. But Sonnen is vastly superior as an MMA wrestler. Just saying 'pure' wrestling doesn't really happen in the UFC, and is as irrelevant as 'pure' boxing is.

Anyway, Jones and Sonnen are different types of wrestlers in how they take people down. Jones works from the clinch, Sonnen drives forward with a relentless shoot. It seems like Jones has been able to take absolutely anyone he wants to down as soon as he wants to, while Sonnen has issues taking down Bisping.

Anything can happen of course. All the same, I'd give Henderson more of a chance with that insta-KO power, than Sonnen being able to take and hold Jones down all through 5 rounds while never himself being taken down (as Jones only needs to take him down once to inflict brutal damage).

Dont forget,

Chael was the one fighting

Chael was overrated anyway

Chael didn't deserve the titleshot

It goes on and on.

Which one of you had to eat the saltine?

I think Jones takes this without too much difficulty, but I wouldn't be shocked if Sonnen manages to wrestle-grind out a decision.

What would shock me is if Sonnen puts on a striking clinic and KOs Jones with a head kick.

Back