Jon Jones old interview from 2009—how he started MMA, learning striking from YouTube and Heavyweight

Njmma209

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Interview pre-UFC 100 leading up to his fight with Jake O’Brien. Unfortunately I couldn’t find site the original article was posted on, but I found another link from bodybuilding .com if you want to read the full article. I only posted a few excerpts. Very good read from the young GOAT. Started MMA to support his first child and girlfriend (good guy), learned most of his striking technique from YouTube (GOAT stuff). Also Clarifies that he only walked around 215lbs back then, lighter than most Middleweights.
https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=115891771

Matt Bishel (MB): "Hey Jon, thanks for taking the time to do this interview with me."
Jon Jones (JJ): "No problem."

MB: "A year ago you started MMA and burst onto the local Northeast fight scene going 6-0 before getting the call up to the UFC. What made you decide to get into MMA?"

JJ: "My decision to get into MMA was based around me expecting a child. I was a college athlete and I was wrestling and doing my thing at Iowa Central University and after competing for two years at ICU, we found out we were expecting and I basically put college on hold with the thought that I could use my wrestling gifts to make us money. At the time it seemed like a real gamble, but it ended up being awesome and look how it’s worked out for me."

MB: "We all know your striking is somewhat unorthodox, so how exactly did you adopt this style, and what do you do to improve on your stand-up?"

JJ: "I came up with my style of striking just by being very open-minded and accepting knowledge from wherever I can find it. When I first started off with Team Bombsquad we didn’t have a striking coach, so I took it into my own hands to study footage on the computer, like youtube videos and some of the guys would find different websites and just go out to Barnes and Nobles and purchase different Muay Thai books. I just really took it into my own hands to be a real professional, attempting to know all I can know. I guess between reading Karate books, Muay Thai books, and Kyokushin books, you just take all this different knowledge and you mix it all together and there you go with an unorthodox standup game."

MB: "You come from a family of big guys and you’ve talked about making the move up to HW. Is that something you’re still contemplating?"

JJ: "Yeah for sure. Right now I’m trying to make 205 though. I’m not gonna lie I’m like 215, which is a typical size for an ?85 pounder but I’m the biggest I’ve ever been in my life, and I know I’m going to continue to grow. I’m definitely not afraid to fight at heavyweight. I wrestled at 215 in high school. I always loved going against the bigger guys and I feel that I’m more agile then a lot of the bigger guys, so the move up to heavyweight is something that I’m going to look forward to in the future, maybe by the time I’m 23 or 24.

Last edited:
Took the James Thompson approach, watched a few dvds.

Learned steroids from his brothers.
yQdzF0a.gif

Poor Jon. Woke up one day and realized he'll never be an A-athlete like his brothers. Coming to grips with being a B-athlete, he decided to become a UFC world champion..

Jones is truly a prodigy of martial arts. His fight IQ is in a class of its own. The Mozart of fighting techniques - the guy took different striking styles and created his own.

Jones is a modern-day martial arts genius.

Aaaaah 205.

A division so abysmally shallow you can learn striking off YouTube and become a dominant champion.

He beat the best, most marquee fighters in the world. His run at LHW has been unbelievable. And it isn’t over.

Aaaaah 205.

A division so abysmally shallow you can learn striking off YouTube and become a dominant champion.
It's shallow now, when he became the champ, it was the most stacked. He also beat some legends during his reign

It's shallow now, when he became the champ, it was the most stacked. He also beat some legends during his reign

LHW was/is so fucking overrated.

people think khabis/mms/stipes resume is overrated?

what about jones? lol

and learnt how to pass drug tests from youtube. sadly, back in the day, there was no USADA

Stacked with celebrities, not with talent. 205 was shallow before he got to the top, while he was at the top, and after he fell. It's been shallow since the late 2000s. I mean, the division was so shallow when he became champ they had to throw Machida at him while Machida was on a downswing, on short notice, off a 1-2 skid, and even his recent win was only against a 735 year old Resthome Randy. Then it just got worse. The 205 division was so shallow, right smack bag in the middle of Jon's reign, that they had to feed him TWO CONSECUTIVE MIDDLEWEIGHTS as title "challengers".

You know what's not awesome preparation for fighting an undefeated LHW World Champion? Zero fights at LHW for half ... a fucking ... DECADE. And zero relevant wins at LHW for almost a full decade. And even his most recent relevant "win" at LHW was a weird flukey technical knockout due to an accidental eyeball scratch. And he's a short-notice injury fill-in. That's Vitor for you. And just when you thought the LHW belt couldn't be any more de-valued by the joke "challenge" from Vitor, they throw poor old Chael in there with him!

"Hmmm, we have a super impressive dominant champion at 205, who should we challenge him with next? Oh, I know, how about a guy off a KO LOSS at fucking MIDDLEWEIGHT. A guy who hasn't been in the cage with a LHW opponent for MORE THAN EIGHT YEARS. A guy who has ZERO RELEVANT WINS EVER IN THE DIVISION IN WHICH WE'RE GIVING HIM THE TITLE SHOT."

Why? Same reason an out-of-form Lyoto got the call. Same reason a Vitor who hadn't fought a 205er for half a decade got the call. Because the division is shallow as fuck and he's a name. And the casuals give much more of a shit about "name" than whether anyone is any kind of legitimate challenge to a UFC World Champion.

Last edited:
Stacked with celebrities, not with talent. 205 was shallow before he got to the top, while he was at the top, and after he fell. It's been shallow since the late 2000s. I mean, the division was so shallow when he became champ they had to throw Machida at him while Machida was on a downswing, on short notice, off a 1-2 skid, and even his recent win was only against a 735 year old Resthome Randy. Then it just got worse. The 205 division was so shallow, right smack bag in the middle of Jon's reign, that they had to feed him TWO CONSECUTIVE MIDDLEWEIGHTS as title "challengers".

You know what's not awesome preparation for fighting an undefeated LHW World Champion? Zero fights at LHW for half ... a fucking ... DECADE. And zero relevant wins at LHW for almost a full decade. And even his most recent relevant "win" at LHW was a weird technical knockout due to an accidental eyeball scratch. And he's a short-notice injury fill-in. That's Vitor for you. And just when you thought the LHW belt couldn't be any more de-valued by the joke "challenge" from Vitor, they throw poor old Chael in there with him!

"Hmmm, we have a super impressive dominant champion at 205, who should we challenge him with next? Oh, I know, how about a guy off a KO LOSS at fucking MIDDLEWEIGHT. A guy who hasn't been in the cage with a LHW opponent for MORE THAN EIGHT YEARS. A guy who has ZERO RELEVANT WINS EVER IN THE DIVISION IN WHICH WE'RE GIVING HIM THE TITLE SHOT."

Why? Same reason an out-of-form Lyoto got the call. Same reason a Vitor who hadn't fought a 205er for half a decade got the call. Because the division is shallow as fuck and he's a name. And the casuals give much more of a shit about "name" than whether anyone is any kind of legitimate challenge to a UFC World Champion.
You’re right about everything. 205 has always been an extremely popular division but it’s a weight class that has always been about names.

You’re right about everything. 205 has always been an extremely popular division but it’s a weight class that has always been about names.

The irony is Jonny Bones has been my favourite fighter to watch for at least half a decade now. That post comes across like I'm pissed off at Jones, but it's not because I hate him, it's because I love watching that dude fight (yeah, even against subpar challengers) and I'm frustrated by the way he's denied us that through his constant cocking up outside the cage.

Also because I hate the way hype takes over in this game sometimes. I mean, it's fun to be het up, of course, but even as a Bones fan it's ok to admit his opponents didn't have the kind of collective momentum other long-term champs like GSP and Aldo consistently faced.

And besides, the position Jones is REALLY in - about 4th on the UFC GOAT list behind guys with longer reigns, - is so much more genuinely dramatic and exciting than falsely and prematurely hailing him as The God of MMA already. The dude still has a chase in front of him. It doesn't get any more thrilling than that.

He was wrecking former world champions 3 years into his carreer any other 23/24 year old would have gotten smashed by Rampage Evans Machida Belfort Shogun etc. he made them all look like amatures. He's easily the most impressive guy resume and age wise.

And also to the guy who sarcastically asked if stipes run was overated YES it was he only had 3 defenses at age 35 against a way over the hill JDS a novice Francis Ngannou and Mark Hunt I think... Not to mention he beat JDS who got knocked out by Overeem in the first round glass chin JDS not the piece of iron who fought Cain or the one dimensional JDS who beat Stipe by 2013.

Aaaaah 205.

Lightheavyweight was a shark tank when Jon Jones was on the rise and his starting several title diffences. It didn't start getting shallow until people started moving up and down in weight for a chance at becoming champion and leaving for bellator, which all happened in 2013.

Even after the division became "shallow" there were still a few big names who would have crushed anyone in the couture tito era I.e. Gus Rumble Cormier to keep the division interesting

Also Teixeira was hot before Jon Jones ended Teixeiras 20 fight win streak!

Back