Jon Jones needs to leave Jackson-Wink

As fighters age they tend to be less dynamic but masterful at what they keep doing.
I agree it won't hurt Jon to try and recapture some of that crazy style he had when he was younger.

I agree he should have clinched with Reyes more. He did it in the 4th and 5th. Maybe unleash some muay thai elbows and knees.

He still has great flow and composure. Look what Reyes did to Weidman with one shot.
Fighting scared is a good way to lose. He definitely has composure but I would argue he hasn't shown good flow recently.

I understand where you're coming from, but I think that that would be a huge mistake for Jones. We all know Jones is a very peculiar personality in the fight game. Jackson-Wink has stood by him through thick and thin. I just feel like going to another camp might have a negative impact on Jones because he might not mesh well with them. I'm not sure you can blame Jackson-Wink for how Jones looked against Reyes. In fact, I would point to Reyes and his gameplan in the fight as to why Jones looked uncomfortable. It's rare that Jones fights someone close to his size, can match his athleticism, and isn't scared to take the fight to him.
He didn't take the fight to him outside of the first round. Jon was the aggressor but, despite that, he barely did anything with it, which is the major problem. Every time he cuts off his opponent on the cage he should be looking to land a leg kick at minimum and a combo ideally.

I could definitely be wrong but it seems like they've turned him into someone that's way too methodical in his striking. Against Santos he kept cutting him off only to use a spinning back kick to the body (and miss) and have to chase him again. Against Reyes he only did that maybe once, but he still chased just to throw too few strikes or get pushed back by Reyes' punches.

For some reason Jones seems to have abandoned his clinch game which was deadly and you can see so in his fight against Glover where he took Glover to, arguably, his best position and beat him up for 5 rounds. The rhythm of his strikes and setting them up used to be much more dynamic as well, potentially thrown off a bit by not being able to palm people on the forehead anymore, but I doubt that's the entirety of the problem.

On top of these, even his wrestling is effected by his slow, methodical, new pace. Against Reyes, whenever he shot it was completely raw; it was never mixed in with anything. Jones used to throw multiple shots to the head to make them cover and then change levels.

Feels like they've turned him into a robot that is able to do only some of the right stuff and his talent and chin are carrying him to these close decision victories.

Kind of agree with you. He doesn't seem to be changing much there, and the key is to always evolve. I think they kind of have him in a lull where he fights not to lose, more than to win.

As fighters age they tend to be less dynamic but masterful at what they keep doing.
I agree it won't hurt Jon to try and recapture some of that crazy style he had when he was younger.

I agree he should have clinched with Reyes more. He did it in the 4th and 5th. Maybe unleash some muay thai elbows and knees.

He still has great flow and composure. Look what Reyes did to Weidman with one shot.

I was thinking the same thing. He had great success in the clinch, not sure why he didn't pursue it more.

Natty Jones doesnt have the speed or strength he use to have.

The Jones from 2019 and 2020 is not the same Jones that was tossing Cormier like a child.

I think the gym/camp needs to bring in evolving coaches/fighters to train with.

Based upon Jones last two fights, Cormier should be asking for a rematch with Jones. Maybe even at HW?

Maybe a visit to Tristar, Nova União or AKA is due.

They don’t want him to be entertaining, they want him to win.

But based on his last couple fights, it couldn’t hurt to switch it up. I’d hate to think that he’s really past his prime especially when he’s only 32 years old.

Its not the age, its the miles, look at Aldo.

He shot on a tiring Reyes had it deep and Reyes (out of position) simply powered out of it. That made Jones realize shit I can’t actually overpower this guy.

Strength and physical advantages have been key to Jones takedowns he isn’t as methodical as the other chain wrestlers.

Lol , clownish.

Yea, he should leave his gym which he has won nonstop at.

He's not locking those tds because the strength ain't there. What's another gym gonna do bout that

He should train with islam Makhachev

Getting humbled by Islam every day will give him the fire he needs to get back on top form
The russian tie snap video he hits on that gilman wrastler is fucking black magic.

You're right. Should totally leave the place that's helped him win 14 world titles and remain undefeated. This would be a very smart decision at this juncture in his career.

IDK I dislike that camp...always have, but they are the reason behind much of his success. I did notice that something seemed really off with Wink and Jackson in between rounds though...they just didnt seem right at all.

Likely over analyzing again though lol.

I really believe that Jones is still good in spite of Wink/Jacksons nowdays, not because of them. They're honestly holding him back and he's holding himself back by being content there.

Imagine if Jon Jones learned to box. He's just doing the same game he's done for years. It's a great game, but the rest of the game is catching up and taking notes and he's figured out.

Jacksonwink fighters have seriously deteriorated in the past few years.
I Jones the last good fighter there? Who trains there and is ranked in the top 10 besides him?

Part of the reason I want to see Jones lose is that that camp would collapse if Jon has a Weidman-esque fall from grace.

Jacksonwink fighters have seriously deteriorated in the past few years.
Fucking seriously. Condit, Cerrone, Holm, Jones, Diego has been hit or miss for a while - just to name a few. Strange things are afoot at JacksonWink.

Back