Jon Jones jumping side kick to the knee

Always wondered why it is called an oblique kick when you are kicking to the leg. Obliques are muscles in your abdominals.

Anyone care to enlighten?
oblique also means slanted at an angle which is where i assume it came from if you look at how the kick appears when finished, as it hits the opponent's thigh.
maxresdefault.jpg

but that's a fairly new term i think. i always knew it as chasse bas from savate or heard it called tadyak-tigpas in FMA

they're in there to fight. it's not like you can't defend against this kick.
Yeah it's not like you can't defend a nut-shot or an eye poke but guess what they're fucking illegal because they are cowardly and could cause serious long term physical harm to the opponent without giving him the opportunity to tap out. That's the reason you don't see more fighters throwing kicks like that. It's pretty clear that they are effective, but so are punches to the back of the head. It is a dishonorable technique.

Yeah it's not like you can't defend a nut-shot or an eye poke but guess what they're fucking illegal because they are cowardly and could cause serious long term physical harm to the opponent without giving him the opportunity to tap out. That's the reason you don't see more fighters throwing kicks like that. It's pretty clear that they are effective, but so are punches to the back of the head. It is a dishonorable technique.
i already talked about this in another post. that argument is dumb.

Good lord he's looking big, not a fan of him or DC but I hope it's a glorious mandingo match and Jones breaks DC in half.

Is it "too dangerous"? Why would that (whatever it means) stop Jon from doing it?

To be honest, I think it is a pretty damn cool move to pull off. I understand how it could be very dangerous for the receiver of the said kick. If only DC could land a hard punch, a la Fedor vs. Arlovski, the moment Jones jumps to perform the kick.

lmao

anyway i think its great,he may never go for that move but all his opponents will have to think about it. War Jones tactics.

That guy should kick him square in the nuts and spit in his face.

What's he gonna get? A warning? aww

So can a headkick. Or an uppercut. Or a shot to the temple. It's a fight, and it doesn't prevent the guy from living a normal life afterwards.

Alot of people were complaining about the regular "oblique kick". What do you think about this? Do you think Jon is going to use this technique or is it too dangerous? Will DC be able to ever walk again after the fight?

Bare shin high kicks to the fucking -usually bald- head are ok, but flying kick to the knee is too dangerous?
Lol

Jones is going to get his belt back and cripple DC in the process. Why isn't anyone entertained? Is this not why we watch MMA?

It's pretty scummy, im not a fan of them, but as long as it's legal it's fair play.
They wont be legal the moment one lands clean and fucks someones knee up. Its one of those things people dont realize how dangerous it is until they see the damage

I remember seeing a gif of Jones doing that to Glover in their fight, then immediately poked Glover in the eyes after landing from the jumping side kick to the knee.

Foot stomps are underrated. It was the foot stomps that put Rampage over the top on the judges' scorecards against Machida.. even though Machida ended up handing Jackson his ass in that fight. True story. Hooray for foot stomps!

Yknow how you get to be King of the Streets,dontcha? Foot Stomps!

I love everything about them. It says alot about Marco Ruas,that hed find a way to make it even more irritating to fight him. Oh ive got this man in the clinch against the fence..what else can i do? oh YEAH.

You rang?

he once again probably just invented a great move, this definetly looks like it could end a fight. But i'm not sure, jones is going to throw it because he is getting exposed by doing that. Maybe at some point in the fight when cormier's brain will be overloaded with all these unorhodox techniques jones is throwing

oblique also means slanted at an angle which is where i assume it came from if you look at how the kick appears when finished, as it hits the opponent's thigh.
maxresdefault.jpg

but that's a fairly new term i think. i always knew it as chasse bas from savate or heard it called tadyak-tigpas in FMA
Makes sense, very enlightening. Thank you for the clarification

Back