Jon Jones isnt the GOAT, true GOATS are must watch fighters. Jones isnt that.

The fact that GSP as a champion actually tapped to strikes is what rules him out:

gif8.gif

That and also how he decided to "retire" after he got beat up by Hendricks
I thought he won 3 rounds against Johny. Draw at best if you have a 10-8, but I don't see that.

Fedor still GOAT
<Fedor23>

You have Masvidal in the top 5 greatest of all time??? Come on man.

<FutbolThink>

He listed who my favorite fighters were...

Read carefully.

And if someone has Masvidal in their top 5 of all time it wouldnt be the biggest crime ever committed. Hes a legendary fighter who has paid his dues in this sport.

Lol what, he finished the only man to nearly beat him in two rounds, gtfo.

Ill bet he'll finish Santos if they meet again too.

If Jones isn't a must watch fighter, how come he is biggest ppv draw on the (active) roster?

When a fighter is that dominant, they don't need to be super exciting to be a must-watch fighter. People tune in to witness their continued greatness or to be present when they finally lose. The fact that fighters like Jones, GSP, and Floyd get huge ppv buys despite regularly being unexciting is proof that you don't need to be flashy to be a "must-watch fighter"

Excitement has never, and should never be a factor when ranking all-time greats. It's a silly and entirely subjective criteria that cannot be objectively judged.

I do agree that Jones is not the GOAT, but for completely different reasons.

1. His level of competition is lacking when compared to GSP (the obvious GOAT)
2. He's a steroid cheat

I'll give you number 2, but when Jones took over LHW it was known as the toughest in the UFC. Nothing easy about his route to the title or beating the current HW champ twice. Add to that, he did ut while he was still learning. GSP tas tapping quickly to arm bars on his come up and getting TKO'd in the first when he got there.

Both amazing fighters though and both right up there for GOATness

used to be a jones fan, but tbh i just find his fight boring to watch. Sure he is a dominant fighter. I just dont find him exciting. Havent bothered to watch any interviews, embedded episodes, struggled to watch his last 3 fights

Last edited:
Agreed, this is now two events in a row where Jones completely kills the vibe with an awful performance.

If Jones isn't a must watch fighter then nobody is. I will never miss a Jones fight. And neither will any of my friends that watch mma with me.

making up criterias now huh? desperate. but not unheard of for a silva fan.

Wrong. True GOATs are fighters that WIN against the toughest of opposition/champions and do so consistently.

What even defines a 'must watch fighter'? I can enjoy an MMA or boxing chess match which casuals would probably find boring.
I also very much enjoy Conor McGregor fighting. If he fights, you could make a case for it being a 'must watch'. Yet, no one with half a brain considers McGregor as the GOAT.

The facts dont lie. Without steroids Jones isnt an exciting fighter. His fights are uneventful and nothing anyone should plan around. Its the type of fight you watch highlights of on ESPN and nod your head as if you expected this all along.

The OSP fight was terrible. Then he fought DC a second time and won by TKO but he tested positive for steroids and his win was overturned. Fast forward to the Gus fight which was a snoozer even though Jones won by TKO. Watching the fight up until that point felt like watching paint dry. The fight against Anthony Smith was a snoozer as well where we watched Jones lay on a journeyman MW for 5 rounds while being unable to finish him or do any significant damage. Then we have the fight with Santos where Juice Jones is fighting another MW journeyman who got TKOd by the likes of David Branch who BLOWS HIS KNEE OUT IN THE FIRST ROUND and Jones still cant finish this guy and puts on a SNOOZER again where he does nothing for 5 rounds and even runs away in the closing seconds. One could even argue that he lost rounds 1,2 and 5. Truly lackluster and unexciting.

Jones is by FAR the most boring champion in the sport since GSP got neutered by Serra and went on his blanket run. After such uneventful performances against a washed up Gus and two MW journeymen, its hard to imagine that anyone cares about watching another Jon Jones fight. Add that to the fact this man tested positive 3x and refuses to fight at HW even though hes bigger than Arlovski and you have someone who doesnt deserve to be called the GOAT. You have someone Dana White describes as a "Sport Killer."

To be the GOAT means you are a MUST WATCH fighter who is dominant AND brings exciting moments in the cage/ ring. Jones isnt that hasnt been that for a long time. Probably since the OSP fight because thats where he couldnt use steroids anymore. The UFC fanboys need to accept this fact that Jones isnt the GOAT and that he is a downright boring fighter and nothing he can do from this point on can change this.

OVBTk.gif
iu

I'll give you number 2, but when Jones took over LHW it was known as the toughest in the UFC. Nothing easy about his route to the title or beating the current HW champ twice. Add to that, he did ut while he was still learning. GSP tas tapping quickly to arm bars on his come up and getting TKO'd in the first when he got there.

Both amazing fighters though and both right up there for GOATness

Jones beat DC once. The second time he "won" he tested positive for PEDs and his win was overturned.

The facts dont lie. Without steroids Jones isnt an exciting fighter. His fights are uneventful and nothing anyone should plan around. Its the type of fight you watch highlights of on ESPN and nod your head as if you expected this all along.

The OSP fight was terrible. Then he fought DC a second time and won by TKO but he tested positive for steroids and his win was overturned. Fast forward to the Gus fight which was a snoozer even though Jones won by TKO. Watching the fight up until that point felt like watching paint dry. The fight against Anthony Smith was a snoozer as well where we watched Jones lay on a journeyman MW for 5 rounds while being unable to finish him or do any significant damage. Then we have the fight with Santos where Juice Jones is fighting another MW journeyman who got TKOd by the likes of David Branch who BLOWS HIS KNEE OUT IN THE FIRST ROUND and Jones still cant finish this guy and puts on a SNOOZER again where he does nothing for 5 rounds and even runs away in the closing seconds. One could even argue that he lost rounds 1,2 and 5. Truly lackluster and unexciting.

Jones is by FAR the most boring champion in the sport since GSP got neutered by Serra and went on his blanket run. After such uneventful performances against a washed up Gus and two MW journeymen, its hard to imagine that anyone cares about watching another Jon Jones fight. Add that to the fact this man tested positive 3x and refuses to fight at HW even though hes bigger than Arlovski and you have someone who doesnt deserve to be called the GOAT. You have someone Dana White describes as a "Sport Killer."

To be the GOAT means you are a MUST WATCH fighter who is dominant AND brings exciting moments in the cage/ ring. Jones isnt that hasnt been that for a long time. Probably since the OSP fight because thats where he couldnt use steroids anymore. The UFC fanboys need to accept this fact that Jones isnt the GOAT and that he is a downright boring fighter and nothing he can do from this point on can change this.

OVBTk.gif
That makes Fedor and Silva the only goats then. Only they would finish fights in a myriad of ways.

Fedor is the GOAT, obviously
Weird that it took 12 posts to get to this obvious conclusion.

Fedor was both dominant AND exciting for 10 years in a division of roided monsters. GOAT.

As long as the UFC pay system remains based on a win bonus, and substantial bonuses for being champions, expect to see Champions fight to not lose. I loved watching hendo vs Shogun as much as anyone, but I expect that Jon Jones just made more than the two of them combined for his decision over Santos. If the UFC instituted finish bonuses, and guaranteed champions pay-per-view points for multiple fights after they lose the belt, we would see much different fights

Jones last couple fights weren't great but overall I would not consider him to be a boring fighter.

Back