Jon Jones is scared that Adesanya will surpass him as the GOAT

In a head to head fight, Jones beats Adesanya just by virtue of the size difference. But in terms of legacy and résumé, Jones fears that Adesanya will eventually be ranked above him.

For starters, Adesanya is truly and officially undefeated. As far as we know, he is PED-free as well. These are two qualities Jones will never possess.

Adesanya is getting the superstar push. He has an exciting fan friendly style. In a year's time, he may be one of the top draws of the sport. Maybe not Conor level but you never know. If he keeps winning, I can see him entering the GOAT conversation.

Jones assumed he had the GOAT title secured. Given recency bias, he has little to fear from GOAT contenders who are retired or past their prime. But Adesanya is a contemporary. Jones wants to nip his momentum in the bud. He does not fear Adesanya as an opponent across the cage. He fears him as the fighter that will take his GOAT status away.

Adesanya barely beat an over the hill Silva and will get his shit pushed in by Whittaker.

Umm..... What?! lol. Come on dude, I am a huge Adesanya fan. But Jones would make him look like like a b-level fighter. So no.... he won't surpass him as a GOAT. You can only surpass a GOAT by beating either him, or his accolades.
Accolades is exactly what TS meant.

ASSUME both guys keep winning and ruling their division until they retire.

Jones* retires at 34-1-1, beating absolute bums in his last couple fights since he cleaned out the LHW div already and the roster is weak as fuck.

Izzy retires at 27-0, beating Whittaker, Romero, Jacare and other monsters plus a few hyped young guns, probably TKOing half of them.
(yes, it's an ASSUMPTION, may happen, may not)

In the above scenario many ppl would regard Izzy's legacy as the better one since:
- he has a perfect record (no losses, no DQs, no NCs)
- he is clean (assumption of course)
- he is not pulsing picograms for 1/2 of his career
- he is a nice guy who doesn't run over pregnant ladies, snort coke or snitch on his roid supplier :p

In a head to head fight, Jones beats Adesanya just by virtue of the size difference. But in terms of legacy and résumé, Jones fears that Adesanya will eventually be ranked above him.

For starters, Adesanya is truly and officially undefeated. As far as we know, he is PED-free as well. These are two qualities Jones will never possess.

Adesanya is getting the superstar push. He has an exciting fan friendly style. In a year's time, he may be one of the top draws of the sport. Maybe not Conor level but you never know. If he keeps winning, I can see him entering the GOAT conversation.

Jones assumed he had the GOAT title secured. Given recency bias, he has little to fear from GOAT contenders who are retired or past their prime. But Adesanya is a contemporary. Jones wants to nip his momentum in the bud. He does not fear Adesanya as an opponent across the cage. He fears him as the fighter that will take his GOAT status away.

597f52bbb50ab127008b5d35-1136-852.jpg
DF9UyvjXcAEQbqN.jpg
UFC-165-Jon-Jones-spinning-back-elbow-Gustafsson.jpg
Jon Jones would absolutely murder Isreal. End of story.

Unfortunately if they ever fight in the future, Jones will just dive for the ankles all the time and just wrestle fuck him to a decision.

Well, if you compare Israel to Jones then Israel has already surpassed him.
Jones is steroid cheat. Israel is not.

Either UFC hype machine is working or you’re a troll.

Accolades is exactly what TS meant.

ASSUME both guys keep winning and ruling their division until they retire.

Jones* retires at 34-1-1, beating absolute bums in his last couple fights since he cleaned out the LHW div already and the roster is weak as fuck.

Izzy retires at 27-0, beating Whittaker, Romero, Jacare and other monsters plus a few hyped young guns, probably TKOing half of them.
(yes, it's an ASSUMPTION, may happen, may not)

In the above scenario many ppl would regard Izzy's legacy as the better one since:
- he has a perfect record (no losses, no DQs, no NCs)
- he is clean (assumption of course)
- he is not pulsing picograms for 1/2 of his career
- he is a nice guy who doesn't run over pregnant ladies, snort coke or snitch on his roid supplier :p

Thank you.

I never argued Adesanya beats Jones. In fact, I believe the opposite is true.

Or that Adesanya has a better record now in 2019 than Jones. But down the line? That's absolutely possible (as your scenario shows).

Jones has an asterisk by his name unlike Israel but Israel has a LONG way to go to even get close to matching Jones’ resume. He’s probably the most overrated guy in the UFC right now.

giphy.gif

I might have given Jones too much credit in terms of beating Izzy. But it becomes more obviously by the day what Jones really fears is that he may lose the GOAT title to Izzy.

Yeah, we'll see how IA looks after a few title defenses against those "MW Bosses" that he speaks about...Whitaker...Romero...oh my

Jesús the dude bearly beat kelvin in a basically kickboxing match... he isn’t beating Robert Romero or even jacare... let alone costa

Adesanya barely beat an over the hill Silva and will get his shit pushed in by Whittaker.

I swear I was looking for this thread just to review my argument. But it was hard to ignore these.

Adesanya is nearly 32 - he’d have to stay undefeated for the next decade and clear out end division multiple times to MATCH Jon’s run - pretty unlikely. Also, looking at Izzy’s titty, I wouldn’t be so quick to say he hasn’t juiced.

LMFAO I hate jones but this is embarrassing. He’s accomplished 50x more than Israel, has fought WAYYYYY better fighters, and has a WAYYYYYYY better legacy

Let us know when Israel has like 15 title defenses and gave away his own belt because he was bored and coked up

The same thing was said about Weidman back in the day.

It's like people don't learn.

Back