Jon Jones is 3 fights away from being the undisputed UFC GOAT.

Takamine86

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
jon-jones_ufc.jpg

Hate him or love him, & I know a lot of MMA fans don't like him but you can't deny his accomplishments and you can't question his competition. Anderson Silva and GSP are obviously still slightly ahead of Jon Jones, but Jon is out to a much better start than both of these guys. So here is what Jon Jones has accomplished.

- Youngest champion in UFC history.

- Captured the belt in his first title shot against MMA legend Shogun in dominating fashion. (GSP lost to Hughes his first title shot.) Many believed Shogun was going to introduce Jon Jones to high level MMA striking, I was on of them. But instead, Jon Jones made Shogun tap to strikes.

- Still undefeated, Jon Jones has yet to lose a fight. (Nobody counts the Hamill DQ, it is like the Fedor cut.)

- Cleaned out what was once considered the best division in MMA, the LHW division. A division that was filled with MMA legends and greats in which competition cannot be questioned. (People are talking about WW and LW now, but before the arrival of Jon Jones, the belt was getting passed around and the LHW division was universally recognized as thee best division in MMA. But dat dominant champion effect made people forget about the LHW division.

- Jon Jones already has 7 title consecutive defenses, Anderson currently holds the UFC record with 10 and GSP in 2nd with 9. Aldo is also tied with Jon Jones with 7 consecutive title defenses.

IMHO, Jon Jones needs to beat Cormier and Gus II convincingly and it will be smooth sailing. If he can get passed those 2 I don't see anyone at LHW being able to stop him. He will go on to be the greatest Mixed Martial Artist in UFC history, it won't even be a debate anymore. But personally, I see Jon Jones losing to DC.

Aldo deserves more love. He is right there too. Yet I never see anyone say if Aldo wins 2 more fights he is Goat.

I think he loses to DC but if he beats DC in the fashion he beat evans or rampage...then soundly beats Gustaf again...then beats like a Weidman? Yes, that would GOAT status.

The guy is amazing. I do believe He is in the right place at the right time to some extent when it comes to 205.. The big dogs all started to fall off right at Jones' rise.. I dont take anything away from his wins at all though. If he disposes DC and then goes on to crush Gus in a rematch, there isn't much room for argument that he's the best 205er the UFC has ever seen. I personally dont think He is UFC GOAT yet.. Georges and Andy are still on top of the pile IMO.

Aldo deserves more love. He is right there too. Yet I never see anyone say if Aldo wins 2 more fights he is Goat.

Yeah because Jones resume is full of big names that Jones fought out of their prime or they are a MW.
Chael and Vitor shouldnt even be counted as title defenses.

No doubt his resume is still impressive. I wont pretend it's bad

The lhw division is the 2nd weakest division behind hw. Ts, you are confusing popularity with skill but no worries, you're far from being the only one that has troubles telling the difference.

Technically Aldo has 9 title defenses.

Dgaf what anyone says he only needs 1 more to be the Goat(which he already is).

as far as im concerned once he beats DC and the winner of the Rumble/ Gus fight.........Jones is the LHW goat

The lhw division is the 2nd weakest division behind hw. Ts, you are confusing popularity with skill but no worries, you're far from being the only one that has troubles telling the difference.

Exactly, people say yeah he beat rampage, but he beat a rampage that was rapidly on the decline and basically a punching bag but because Rampage is a big name, everybody doesn't think like that, they count it as rampage in his prime. I don't want to discredit Jones though he is legit no doubt, but resume isn't as good as people like to think

ok, but have you seen the gustafsson fight.... does the goat get beat up over five rds., carried out of the venue, transported to the hospital - while his adversary walks out to visit him in the ER?

Context is everything, Jones destroyed a lot of fighters when then clearly weren't in their prime anymore.
GSP and Anderson are clearly ahead of him.
PS: neither of them took a beating in their prime like Jones.

I'm not a fan of his personality, but win or lose against Cormier, he's an awesome fighter. Definitely one of the best ever already.

Context is everything, Jones destroyed a lot of fighters when then clearly weren't in their prime anymore.
GSP and Anderson are clearly ahead of him.
PS: neither of them took a beating in their prime like Jones.

GSP never took a beating in his prime eh? So getting KO'd and subbed is way less of a beating than a tough UD?

The big problem with Jones and GOAT talk is that he is so young a lot of people don't want to give him that title yet.

The truth is that he's already accomplished more in his 20s than most guys do in their entire careers. To me, his resume is already more impressive than Anderson Silva but the fact that it took Anderson almost 10 years to accomplish what he did makes it seem more impressive to a lot of people.

What's more impressive, doing it quickly or stretching it out?

Jones has to beat DC and to me he's UFC GOAT. If he moves to HW and wins the title, he's by far and away the GOAT. I don't think he needs to beat Gus again or Rumble but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Indeed. Him embracing being the bad guy has made him extra awesome too.

Exactly, people say yeah he beat rampage, but he beat a rampage that was rapidly on the decline and basically a punching bag but because Rampage is a big name, everybody doesn't think like that, they count it as rampage in his prime. I don't want to discredit Jones though he is legit no doubt, but resume isn't as good as people like to think

Isn't as good as people think? You base that on just saying RAMPAGE isn't that great of a win?

Look at Jones's other wins??

Do I need to list them for you?

and the WAY he beat them all.

Yeah, he's resume is as good as people think. Who has a better one?

Look back and see which division everyone was saying is the best in MMA, before Jon Jones was champ. It was the LHW division. & my friend, there is a reason popular fighters are popular.

ok, but have you seen the gustafsson fight.... does the goat get beat up over five rds., carried out of the venue, transported to the hospital - while his adversary walks out to visit him in the ER?

that was the fight that he won, right?

Back