Jon Jones - Fedor

Mir was really good in his prime and with his long reach and amazing sub game could have finished Fedor. Carwin with his length and power would have KO'd Fedor for sure if Bigfoot and Hendo could.

All those guys went to the UFC to fight in a promotion where there were PED testing and more fair rules. Yeh Fedor beat Slyvia and Arlovski but those other fights were in Pride which hurts him a bit. He's also lost to Hendo who spends a lot of his time at MW,Werdum and Bigfoot. Listen Fedor is a great fighter and you can debate he's a top 5 HW but we're talking GOAT. Same goes for people talking about Wandy's streak since he couldn't adjust to the non steroid promotion with rules less advantous to strikers it didn't mean as much.

you are officially the dumbest person on sherdog, and that is quite frankly, amazing.

I can't believe you made it to blue belt and don't have dubs with this fighter bashing crock o shite you post all the time,(mods????? wtf are you doing? is this an inside joke:confused:)

What do they have to do to get respect?? Get rid off moron mma fans plain and simple. For anyone to second guess any of their accomplishments, they are out of their minds

I love it when Fedor GOAT fans get all tingly sensitive.

Fedor GOAT fans are actually reality based well educated observers of mma that base there conclusions on historical evidence and scientific fact. ;-)

you are officially the dumbest person on sherdog, and that is quite frankly, amazing.

I can't believe you made it to blue belt and don't have dubs with this fighter bashing crock o shite you post all the time,(mods????? wtf are you doing? is this an inside joke:confused:)

Anyone who tries to give a breath of fresh air from nostalgia based reality is relentlessly persecuted. If someone says Fedor is not in the GOAT discussion everyone gets stingy and defensive for no reason. I'm not bashing Fedor I understand he's a good fighter everyone just inflates his accomplishments so much like he's in the GOAT conversation even at HW when he quite simply isn't. When someone tries to take people out of their nostalgia daze the Fedor people get all mad.

I enjoyed watching Fedor in his prime years. His comeback victories, willingness to fight all opponents at their area of strength and classy attitude made me appreciate the sport itself more. For the life of me I can't understand why so many people go out of of their way to tarnish the guys career. Every fighter will lose if he keeps fighting, that's a fact. The losses never made me think of him less as a fighter. If anything they made me a bigger fan because he showed class in defeat the same way he did in victory.

As for Jones, people are too hard on this kid. Im in my 30s now, and I remember how arrogant I was in my early 20s. And I was a regular guy, not a famous athlete. I can only imagine how out of touch with reality I would have been if I was a mma champ at his age. And any of the fans who think they would be better are lying to themselves.

He has beaten almost every fighter I like and I will keep watching him fight. Say what you want about his personality, the guy can put people away and make it look vicious! When he loses, I wont think less of him.

I think it's great. Staying undefeated in a sport that has so many variables and so many ways of losing is very impressive. The talk about competition is overrated to a certain extent. Kids claim the better competition you fight, the easier it is to lose, but that isn't always the case. For instance both GSP and Silva lost to fighters they shouldn't have lost to. But wait, i thought guys like Fedor and Jones only remained undefeated because of their easier competition, so why couldn't Silva and GSP stay undefeated when they were matched against mid-low tiers? :icon_idea

Truth is MMA is very tough, regardless of who you fight, staying undefeated is something very hard to do. Both Fedor and Jones deserve credit for what they accomplished. That being said, they both fought very good competition. Fedor is the GOAT without a doubt, he did something beyond amazing, staying unbeaten for a decade, and Jones is in his way to become a legend. The only thing i would ask for Jones is that he moves up eventually if he falls in a comfort zone.

I am surprised by this comment. It is free of Silva bashing.

Jones is no doubt a phenom. If you want to talk about the most impressive fighters in MMA history it probably comes down to 4 guys in no particular order

Bones
Fedor
A. Silva
GSP

All 4 of them are incredible fighters, more than incredible. Bones has a similar beginning to Fedor because both had one weird fight on their record where neither was beaten by the other fighter. Most top 5 competition probably goes to GSP. Longest win streak in the UFC goes to A. Silva. How do you decide which is the greatest? They all have done incredible things.

I agree with this to the fullest. I think at the end of the day, when you look at 3 or 4 of those guys, it comes down to preference since the criteria of GOAT can be subjective. Also, I see no reason not to throw Aldo into the mix as well.

Matt Hamill was about to win until that illegal strike

6'4 84 inch reach. two weight classes above everyone else on fight night. Yes, he is skillful. Yes, he got the job done...by beating up smaller guys. Good thing JJ accepts that fact and plans on moving to HW. For this, unlike that wimp Anderson, I respect hi. The sooner he does it, the better. For himself, LHW and HW divisions and us fans.

Fedor had heart unlike Jones who wanted out of the hamill fight and disqualified himself with illegal strikes. That shows a lot about Jones character and his lack of heart. He also tried to stick and move vs rampage and that shows how insecure he is about his skills.

I am so surprised that you have dubs.

Jones's record is already more impressive than Fedor's IMHO.

Would be funny if he lost to the first guy who is the same size as himself (kinda like Anderson got knocked out by the first MW who has similar reach.)

Jones really is a HW fighting at LHW. Fedor was a LHW fighting at HW.

Last edited:
An mma fighter could make Jesus tap to strikes,someone would say God dosent picks sides on fights,only if Belfort is fighting.

People don't think Jones fought top competition? Who are these people!

Of course both deserve respect. But this is the internet and people will hate on anything.

Vitor and Sonnen were not, if Fedor had fought guys like that during 2008-2011, the UFC and its zealots would have lost their mind. Plus, Fedor would never have backed out of a short notice fight, particularly not with a size and skillset advantage like Jones had with Sonnen.

Up to that, Jones was on an unparalleled streak against all time greats, but that UFC 151 fiasco was awful.

People who shit on Fedor for that reason forget that MMA was still a strange and new activity back then. Think about the fact that Fedor won the RINGS title under rules that would be considered restrictive by today's standards, and then he went and won the PRIDE title under rules that would be considered barbaric by the same measure. I remember watching a Pride event when Tom Erickson just strangled a guy with his hand, and it was legal because they just hadn't thought to put that in the rules. You gotta give props to a guy like Fedor for going undefeated in an environment like that.

Matt Hamill was about to win until that illegal strike

Exactly, Brock and Browne studied that strategy, and although they both won, neither could elicit the same desperation that Hamill was able to elicit from Bones. Bones was about to gas, so he threw that illegal elbow to save himself the shame of losing. Carwin and Overeem just have more humility than Jones, who couldn't accept that Hamill was the better man that night.

Massive Fedor fan. But JBJ has potential to be the greatest fighter to walk this Earth. Plus he's what 25 years old?

Back