Jon Jones - Fedor

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by DethridgeMMA, Sep 19, 2013.

1. DethridgeMMA

DethridgeMMA White Belt

Don't worry this is not a Jones vs Fedor thread..stay calm..chill..relax..its all good

I'm sure it has been brought up but I did a pre-search and couldn't really find anything, so here I go:

I am just curious what people think of Jones being 19 fights with no losses. (I know he lost to Hamill but come on). Fedor went 33 fights with no losses (Same with Jones lost a fight but not really, and also has a 1 no contest).

I guess my question is, both fighters get a lot of crap for various reasons. IE- Have not fought top competition. For me this is not an issue, your record is your record. This is more of a concern for me if they are not fighting top competition later in their career not earlier.

Even if you don't like Jones/Fedor, are you impressed? Do they deserve respect in your opinion? What do they have to do to get it. If Jones goes the next 14 fights to tie Fedor before his first loss will you respect him then?

I think in this day and age being 19 pro fights in with no legitimate losses is damn impressive. But, not the biggest Jones fan because of his personality, but does not lose any of my respect as a fighter.

Anyway im done blabbling on, I don't even know what I am typing anymore :) Enjoy

2. NemoKB

NemoKB Orange Belt

People don't think Jones fought top competition? Who are these people!

Of course both deserve respect. But this is the internet and people will hate on anything.

3. DethridgeMMA

DethridgeMMA White Belt

Well I've read and seen people on here and other forums saying stuff like: "Oh he only looked good against Bonnar because Bonnar sucks and is not even top 10" for example. Crap like that is what I am getting at. Which I think is bull because when they fought, I don't believe, Jones was top 10 either. I mean how could he be? It was only his second fight in the UFC against a vet and made him look silly.

4. heavyarms21

heavyarms21 Ryozanpaku Belt

Anyone who says Jones hasn't fought tough competition is just a hating and finding every little flaw to try to discredit his opponents when most of them were riding either solid win streaks or had looked impressive their last times out.

5. Over and out**

Over and out** Blue Belt

Fedor had heart unlike Jones who wanted out of the hamill fight and disqualified himself with illegal strikes. That shows a lot about Jones character and his lack of heart. He also tried to stick and move vs rampage and that shows how insecure he is about his skills.

6. born2killl

born2killl Brown Belt

a loss is a loss. DQ is as legitimate a loss as a KO. If you can't follow the rules, dont step in the cage.

7. AmericanMMA

AmericanMMA Purple Belt

Rickson by Armbar

8. feedhimbrah

feedhimbrah Orange Belt

I don't like jones however he is an impressive fighter and I respect him as an athlete and martial artist. His streak is impressive too I just don't like his attitude, personality and cockiness. Fedor I am a massive fan of, everything I said about jones is true for fedor as well expect fedor is almost opposite in personaliry he is a genuine respectful bloke that doesn't carry on like a dickhead.

9. juza

juza Orange Belt

If Gray Maynard went on a 78-0 streak, and captured the LW, WW, MW, LHW and HW belt, all this while he was still in his teens, would Jon Jones get your respect?

10. DethridgeMMA

DethridgeMMA White Belt

Just have to say I disagree with this whole heartily. He was owning Matt and was trying to finish, either way that fight was done and over with. Top mount position reigning down on Hamill.

11. DethridgeMMA

DethridgeMMA White Belt

No but Maynard would...what are you going on about again?

12. Claude

Claude Red Belt

I think it's great. Staying undefeated in a sport that has so many variables and so many ways of losing is very impressive. The talk about competition is overrated to a certain extent. Kids claim the better competition you fight, the easier it is to lose, but that isn't always the case. For instance both GSP and Silva lost to fighters they shouldn't have lost to. But wait, i thought guys like Fedor and Jones only remained undefeated because of their easier competition, so why couldn't Silva and GSP stay undefeated when they were matched against mid-low tiers? :icon_idea

Truth is MMA is very tough, regardless of who you fight, staying undefeated is something very hard to do. Both Fedor and Jones deserve credit for what they accomplished. That being said, they both fought very good competition. Fedor is the GOAT without a doubt, he did something beyond amazing, staying unbeaten for a decade, and Jones is in his way to become a legend. The only thing i would ask for Jones is that he moves up eventually if he falls in a comfort zone.

13. thrillkilla77

thrillkilla77 Green Belt

14. Oy

Oy Bring back Edith!

The odds at HW are worse than at LHW. Even a phenom like Cain is only a punch away from losing there.

15. juza

juza Orange Belt

Just enjoying

16. ClubFoot

ClubFoot Therapy can be a good thing; it can be therapeutic Platinum Member

HW's are always going to be sexier

17. DethridgeMMA

DethridgeMMA White Belt

I agree he should move up if he gets comfortable. Also agree with everything else, great post! Thank you, unlike a few posts above with nothing but a gif. FailFish lol

18. DethridgeMMA

DethridgeMMA White Belt

HW are my favorite as well just because it's hard to find a guy that doesn't hit like a semi. I am quite sad at how thin the current UFC HW division is now though :/

19. BayAreaGuy

BayAreaGuy Good Day

Jones deserves all of his praise because he's beaten so many elite fighters back-to-back.

I always root against him, but you can't deny how impressive that is.

Fedor is far more impressive (IMO) because he went undefeated for 10 years against much bigger fighters, and he beat elite fighters at their own game.

20. ferrisjso

ferrisjso Goat Lawyer

OMG. I hate when people talk about Fedor like he's a legend or something. He just happened to go unbeaten for a long time the majority of it being in Pride and he truned down a huge contract to be in the UFC. He was good maybe great fighter but not a legend or GOAT like he make him out to be. It would be like calling Glover the GOAT for being unbeaten for a bunch of years and losing once you face any really good fighters.

Fedor shouldn't be in the same paragraph as a legend like Jones.