Jon Jones Days are Numbered - Who Has Best Chance to Dethrone him?

ArmenianAssasin

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Note: Not a bones hater per say but he's been so dominant for so long the division has become stale and boring - we could really use some fresh blood , matchups, and excitement at 205

The blue print is pretty much there and very clear in the Santos/Reyes Fights - Non-pulsing jones takedowns haven't been very good and so as long as you can keep it standing you turn it into a kickboxing fight

Santos without injury and Reyes with better cardio would have IMO (even though I do think Reyes took the first 3 rounds and was robbed)

Best Candidates IMO

Reyes - already did - just needs to improve on his conditioning and pacing - it was his first title fight and he used a lot of energy in r1 - I'm sure he can make adjustments

Oezdemir - beat Reyes in my opinion and in the opinions of many - if he can keep it standing he can give Jones a ton of trouble on the feet - has cardio issues though

Rakic - beat Oezdemir imo , is young athletic and getting even better - matches up very well physically with Jones

Jan Błachowicz - stuffing takedowns and low output decision - similar to the Jacare fight

Magomed Ankalaev - dark horse, would need to improve on his TDD but has the length and tricky striking

Well, Reyes should have won, so him?

Well, Reyes should have won, so him?

I have a feeling he's going to try to do everything and anything in his power to weasel out of a rematch

He's prolly praying that Corey Anderson wins this weekend

Note: Not a bones hater per say but he's been so dominant for so long the division has become stale and boring - we could really use some fresh blood , matchups, and excitement at 205

The blue print is pretty much there and very clear in the Santos/Reyes Fights - Non-pulsing jones takedowns haven't been very good and so as long as you can keep it standing you turn it into a kickboxing fight

Santos without injury and Reyes with better cardio would have IMO (even though I do think Reyes took the first 3 rounds and was robbed)

Best Candidates IMO

Reyes - already did - just needs to improve on his conditioning and pacing - it was his first title fight and he used a lot of energy in r1 - I'm sure he can make adjustments

Oezdemir - beat Reyes in my opinion and in the opinions of many - if he can keep it standing he can give Jones a ton of trouble on the feet - has cardio issues though

Rakic - beat Oezdemir imo , is young athletic and getting even better - matches up very well physically with Jones

Jan Błachowicz - stuffing takedowns and low output decision - similar to the Jacare fight

Magomed Ankalaev - dark horse, would need to improve on his TDD but has the length and tricky striking

I think that Brazilian guy. Before he went over to Firas. I think that stoppage was a bs. I think what Jones gives trouble is length and movement and TDD.

Lol Reyes don't wanna see Jon jones in a rematch ! He'll get stopped or lose a clear cut decision.

Rumble beats him at LHW.
Everyone beats him at HW.

Hell, I'm just impressed he's fought 41 rounds since April 2013. When you consider DUI's, rehabs, USADA suspensions, leaving the scene of a crime, supervised probation, probation violations, out of competition cocaine tests, pulsing, and a lifetime of ED, that's pretty impressive!!!

Rumble returns later this year and finishes what Santos and Reyes started.

Rumble catches Jones. He shoots for the desperation TD's, they don't work and Rumble finishes him off. Wouldn't be surprised to see this happen.

Rumble returns later this year and finishes what Santos and Reyes started.

Rumble catches Jones. He shoots for the desperation TD's, they don't work and Rumble finishes him off. Wouldn't be surprised to see this happen.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-27-at-6.23.44-PM-1280x720.png

one problem with that, Rumble ain't skipping no meals

Best Candidates IMO

I mean, no fighter reigns forever.

That said, noone has come closer than Jones.

To be honest in the past few fights I've really not seen anything special from him at all. The LHW division is simply weak compared to what it once was. While it once looked like he could have been GOAT (providing you overlook the cheating) his recent performances were simply poor and not up to GOAT standards.

Who's going to beat him? Who the hell knows. LHW division sucks.

Good necro bump.

...oh' wait this is a new thread? Could've sworn I saw some similar threads from five years ago.

Back