Jon Jones Choosing To Wait For Stipe vs. Francis Winner Instead Of An Instant Title Shot

• Thread starter Deleted member 510653
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 510653

I thought it was smart. I think he knows Stipe is getting up there and he's got WAY more tools than Ngannou skill-wise so to sit back and wait and act like you're the money fight, the reward is the correct to do. Do you think Jon should get a tune up fight vs. say Blaydes or is he doing the right thing by having a team monitor his progress and make sure he's 110% come title shot? I actually think he's doing it right and making sure he's adapting to hw the right way instead of jumping in there right off the bat.

I'm beyond pumped to see either fight.

Also, Ngannou has irrefutably earned his shot and he's been sitting on the shelf for far too long, so it's well deserved.

I know Jones' stock has plummeted due to a few uninspiring performances/PED decline, but I expect him to come to HW fresh and motivated. I think he'll annihilate either one of them and reassert himself as the world's best fighter, but time will tell.

Jones should take a tune up fight. He's been looking pretty rusty and getting up there in age. He needs as much preparation as possible.

So you're praising him for waiting to be handed a title shot for his first foray into a new division, rather than getting one now. I...guess that's better, but it still is for all intents and purposes an instant title shot.

I do think he's been wise in spending time gearing up for the new weight class, but the trouble is you can't tell for sure what differences it'll make to your game until you're well and truly in a fight. Being locked in a cage with either Stipe or Ngannou is a hell of time to find out.

He needed to put on weight. His skinny ass wouldve got annihilated easily if he rushed a move to HW. Hopefully Stipe vs Ngannou in April and Jones vs the winner in July/August.

He'd be stupid to take a tune up fight and risk a shot at the belt and the pay that comes with it.

He's experienced and talented enough that rust shouldn't be a factor, especially if you believe Don Cruz when he says ring rust isn't a thing for some fighters.

Bones posted on IG he's at 250 now, if he can add some one shot KO power to his punches on top of all his other skills he could be a major force at HW.

It's a smart move. No matter who wins between stipe or Ngannou they coming out damaged. Easier pickings for Jones

He always had to wait for Francis to get his shot first, he had no option. Dana has been steadfast about that since the summer. I think he hoped Stipe would jump back in there by Jan/Feb. Now its looking like April/May.

If Jon really wanted he could've leap frogged Ngannou, even Dana hinted at it months back saying it was possible and Jon was undefeated. I think he's got a good team behind him and the resources to have the best watch what he's doing and one thing to keep in mind is Jon doesn't want to have his first fight at hw be a loss. He's got all those pictures on his social media of guys scientifically keeping track of him and tbh I don't think he wants to make any mistakes preparing.

He may as well. Plus this could give him some time to bulk up a bit.

Jones should take a tune up fight. He's been looking pretty rusty and getting up there in age. He needs as much preparation as possible.

I think his approach is perfectly rational. If he's been faltering against LHWs for whatever reason, and moving to a division where his trademark reach advantage will be diminished or nullified, it makes perfect sense to take as few chances as possible and go for the maximum reward. He's too a big name to get a genuine "tuneup" fight--he's not going to get an opponent like, say, Chase Sherman, who he can be confident of walking through. If he takes a "tune up" fight and loses, he's not going on to fight for the title... well, no, I take that back; Jose Aldo did. Never mind.

I thought it was smart. I think he knows Stipe is getting up there and he's got WAY more tools than Ngannou skill-wise so to sit back and wait and act like you're the money fight, the reward is the correct to do. Do you think Jon should get a tune up fight vs. say Blaydes or is he doing the right thing by having a team monitor his progress and make sure he's 110% come title shot? I actually think he's doing it right and making sure he's adapting to hw the right way instead of jumping in there right off the bat.
Its not his choice..
Jon has to wait everyone is waiting on stipe..

He has to fight francis again because hes so inactive. Jon needs to wait on it.

Back