Media Jon Jones being #1 P4P in UFC's rankings

iWas

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
But at the moment he isn't ranked in any weight class.

Seems legit.

upload_2021-8-1_8-50-48.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-1_8-49-32.png
    upload_2021-8-1_8-49-32.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 1
  • upload_2021-8-1_8-49-48.png
    upload_2021-8-1_8-49-48.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 2
  • upload_2021-8-1_8-50-0.png
    upload_2021-8-1_8-50-0.png
    32 KB · Views: 2
  • upload_2021-8-1_8-50-12.png
    upload_2021-8-1_8-50-12.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 1
Well, it makes some sense, as he has openly stated that he's left the LHW division, and therefore removed from the rankings there. And hasn't fought at HW yet, so rightfully he isn't ranked there. And I think everyone would agree that he deserves to be somewhere in the P4P rankings. Although I think I'd put Kamaru #1 right now based on how active and dominant he's been.

Regardless of how anyone feels about him personally, his achievements are so great and longstanding in MMA that sometimes you get situations like this.

Can happen in any sport, but particularly in combat sports(where we generally must see a man lose to uncrown him). His legacy and achievements still loom large over the roster, even in his absence.

When Micheal Jordan retired in the mid 90's, everyone still knew he was the best and most accomplished player. It's the same deal here, even if you think he's past his best. His achievements alone put him so far ahead of everyone else, that I don't even have a problem with it tbh. If Jones comes back and wins the HW title, we all know he will and should be #1 anyway.

At the #2 spot sits Usman, a great fighter who's had an incredible run in the UFC. But we all know at the peak of their powers, with all due respect, Usman isn't even in the same room as Jones. So it's a certain respect that's given in sports, particularly combat sports.

Last edited:
<JonesLaugh>

#BonesKnows...

Lesser Men stand beneath him...

Oos commin on strong tho...

Yvx6u0C.gif

It’s literally 18 months later is it not? Enough already. A year is one thing, but 18 months for a healthy fighter. You need to be removed from the rankings. No matter who you are.

I mean why isn’t Khabib still number 1? He fought more recently than Jones.

Until when? He's has no fight in sight especially with HW being jammed right now

It’s literally 18 months later is it not? Enough already. A year is one thing, but 18 months for a healthy fighter. You need to be removed from the rankings. No matter who you are.

Cos he's officially retired as I'm sure you already know.. Jones is not.

Gsp, Khabib and usman all clearly above him.

Maybe hush hush drug suspension allows you to retain p4p rankings but not weigh class rankings.

I agree actually (even as a Bones fan) I hate lingering Rankings - It's crap... 12 mo is enough for me... Sure 1 win in whatever to re-rank but no gimmies.. 12-18 months is prolly 3+ years (or more) in MMA terms...

I wouldn't until he Is either cut or retired.. Doesn't really affect much regardless imo.
Maybe not for Jones, but for other fighters.

It sends a message that even if you are a big star like Conor or Jones you need to stay active to stay relevant.

He "wants" a free titile shot but he isn't signing anything
So we hear, but he's at least another year away from that with Derrick or Gane now in the pipeline, who knows how long it could take the winner to recover to fight Francis next, and then again after that fight.. Plus Stipe still has a claim to the trilogy, logistically it could be 2 or 3 years away which would be an outrageous amount of time.

you can pick one fighter to take to a bar fight. YOU TAKE JONES

Maybe not for Jones, but for other fighters.

It sends a message that even if you are a big star like Conor or Jones you need to stay active to stay relevant.
I dunno how much the P4P rankings affect that though, I agree it's shit, but rankings always have been across the board.. Nate was ranked for years without fighting, Conor too, even Barboza went from unranked to ranked after losing... I don't think had those examples been different and more accurately and fairly ranked much would have changed for the careers and relevance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back