Jon Jones' 4-step strategy towards a new contract?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by abracadordosaco**, Jun 2, 2014.

1. abracadordosaco**

abracadordosaco** Banned Banned

What I think:

1. Have his manager play hardball during negotiations.

2. Give zero fucks when Dana, Gus, and the fans complain about how long it's taking.

3.????

4. Profit

What do you guys think?

2. 4faces

4faces Blue Belt

smartest strategy ever......

3. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

1. Ask for more money
    2. Wait for them to offer you more money since it's not like there are any other #1 ranked fighters on the market

4. BlackDynamite36

BlackDynamite36 Orange Belt

This.

5. Ravendarat

Ravendarat Blue Belt

You guys need to make sure you don't forget that the UFC could probably CUT Bones pay by 25% and it would still be way more than he is gonna make for any other promotion. He might hold the belt but the UFC holds the cards here. If Bones never fought another fight in the UFC it wouldn't really matter to them in the grand scheme of things. Of course I am not saying thats where we are at or that that is whats gonna happen or anything. Im just saying you guys need to remember that in MMA the companies hold all the cards and are clearly in the power position. No union and no united front means the company dictates all.

6. Oy

Oy Bring back Edith!

With GSP, Anderson and Diaz out of the PPV picture, this is the perfect time to play hardball.

Plus, if Bones knows it in his heart that Gus and DC are a bridge too far - who knows if returning right now is the best option?

In a year things might have cleared up. DC and Gus might well kill each other fighting for the vacant title.

7. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

Jones got paid a flat $400000,00 + PPV points for his UFC 172 fight. Not taking into account sponsorships, since they are at least on paper independent from his regular salary. Let's say in total he was paid, at the most, a buck and a half for the fight. That is indeed very hard for anyone else to cover, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. Bellator may not have that kind of cash on them, but they are backed by Viacom. Signing Jon Jones could be seen as a major investment in the MMA business which would no doubt have a solid return.

8. Ravendarat

Ravendarat Blue Belt

History shows its not a solid investment though. Smaller organizations have tried to sign big stars before in MMA as well as other sports/entertainment mediums and in general the overwhelming common thing is that they get a boost on 1-2 shows at the most then they dip back down into the same area they were in before when it comes to ratings, attendance buys etc and then they are left paying a big contract for no increase in return. It doesn't make sense for a company like Belator to throw big money at Jones.

9. bryank

bryank Purple Belt

Bones is worth more to the UFC than Bellator... Sounds crazy, but why do I say that?

With such shallow roster, Bellator wouldn't be able to properly utilize him. They're gonna make JBJ-Rampage 2? Who's gonna pay $50 for that? JBJ-Tito? Please...

10. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

Yes, I realize what you're saying and it's true the model was very unsuccesful for Affliction and Bodog. Neither of them had the same type of corporate backing or were as established as Bellator though, so that's why I think it's still possible.

Shit, Rampage was one of the best selling Bones PPVs and it's not like he was blazing through the division at that time either, coming off a bullshit decision win to Machida and a fairly tepid performance against Hammil. I think the PPV would do extraordinarily well compared to anything Bellator has in their hands at the moment.

All that said, it appears Bones isn't even negotiating his contract so this is kind of a moot discussion.

11. Lincoln Hawk

Lincoln Hawk Red Belt

hard to say w/out knowing what is being negotiated. My guess is that he's forcing the UFC to predict what their 2014 returns would look like w/out him on another card. Presumably he's aware of the risk but is also aware that if he's successful it could mean a LOT more money for him.