Jon Jones 350 LB Bench Press

Jesus, you are strong...

Pretty much my thought as well. About a decade ago I was hitting the gym 6 days a week and was in the best shape of my 30s. I could do a couple of safe reps at 235, at best, w/out a spotter.

I was 205lbs and lean enough for a 6-pack.

Hearing guys lob around numbers in the 300-400 range makes me think I was the last guy in the gym w/out gear.

Jones used blocks on his squats too. That inflates those numbers as well.

Jones seems like a guy whose philosophy is to use ANY shortcut out there. As well as anything to gain an edge (like
eyepokes).

He'll cheat, use shortcuts, and has no respect for society's rules. Dude is dangerous not just in the cage, but outside it, to normal people.

Pretty much my thought as well. About a decade ago I was hitting the gym 6 days a week and was in the best shape of my 30s. I could do a couple of safe reps at 235, at best, w/out a spotter.

Hearing guys lob around numbers in the 300-400 range makes me think I was the last guy in the gym w/out gear.
You can't go to a YMCA without having people who are on gear. It's cheap as protein powder and way more effective.

Really? I don't know if you're serious here. I used to be able to bench my body weight and I hardly did anything, in terms of staying fit. Didn't go to the gym at all, just did some daily push-ups.

Benching your body weight is pretty easy for fit young guys. You can go way beyond it without any roids, I know that.

Of course gyms *are* full of guys on gear. But a 300 bench doesn't mean that.

Dude I can hit 260 once, I'm 5'8" 175 and have a torn rotator cuff in my dominant arm.

I sure as hell ain't some freak athlete or on roids, 300 is not THAT much.

3 days a week gym, 3 days a week cardio. 33 yrs old, 225 x 10 reps (no spotter), 170 lbs (no 6 pack), never done steroids/hgh/gear. I could do 300 lbs but only 1 rep

trenbolone_enanthate.jpg

Curious, if you remember the weights for any of these lifts as well??

Using a barbell, not dumb bells for any of the movements listed below....

Snatch
Clean and jerk
Squat
Dead lift
Military Press
Curl

Absolutely. Jones' bench press is fine, not bad at all. I guess I am just not overly impressed when there are true freaks like Dwight are walking the earth.

Just a huge gap in athletic talent from MMA to other sports.

NBA guys are definitely some of the biggest freaks, there's even a video of old fat retired Barkley putting up 405.

But bench press (or any lifts) alone are certainly not a great indicator of athleticism, otherwise some guy like Latifi would be champ. Latifi can probably outlift Jones on everything but in the cage would he ragdolled.

And even gym rats who aren't good at any sport can sometimes lift more than guys like Durant.

bench press (or any lifts) alone are certainly not a great indicator of athleticism, otherwise some guy like Latifi would be champ. Latifi can probably outlift Jones on everything but in the cage would he ragdolled.

Majority of athleticism is based on strength to weight ratios so the numbers that you can lift are definitely factors.

Athleticism =/= Skill

Majority of athleticism is based on strength to weight ratios so the numbers that you can lift are definitely factors.

Athleticism =/= Skill

Yeah that's why bodybuilders and powerlifters are regarded as the most elite athletes, especially the lighter weight classes...Enormous freaks like Dwight Howard aren't considered great athletes because they can only bench 365 and there is some lighter PL who can lift more. Powerlifting is considered to have Z level athletes.

Yeah that's why bodybuilders and powerlifters are regarded as the most elite athletes, especially the lighter weight classes...Enormous freaks like Dwight Howard aren't considered great athletes because they can only bench 365 and there is some lighter PL who can lift more. Powerlifting is considered to have Z level athletes.

tbh, power lifting unquestionably has a larger talent pool than MMA so it probably does have better overall athletes

Right and you're smart enough to use the merits of one of the strongest guys in the NBA to try and make your point.

That and I'm guessing the laws of physics don't apply cause you say so?

I have a friend who says it's impossible to bench over 325 lbs without juicing. He goes to the gym several times a year, so I believe him.

325?? lulz

Its impossible to bench over teh 275 without juicing.

Not impressive considering if Usada's test is accurate.

This. Last cycle I've ever done was in 2009. and I can bench 350 pounds 8X when in shape for it.

tbh, power lifting unquestionably has a larger talent pool than MMA so it probably does have better overall athletes

Talent pool as in more weekend warrior types? If you're counting them then you have to count every martial artist on Earth as being in the MMA talent pool.
Right and you're smart enough to use the merits of one of the strongest guys in the NBA to try and make your point.

That and I'm guessing the laws of physics don't apply cause you say so?

OK take a much smaller skinny guy of regular height like Iverson. Most would say he's a better athlete than local YMCA powerlifter who benches more.

Isn't there a vid of Brock doing 20 reps of 500 lbs?

Either your being funny or 16 yr old clueless on weights.

It was 225lbs 40 times... which is incredibly impressive considering its the max for some guys who weight that much. When he's 300 he's prolly maxes out at near 500lbs.

Talent pool as in more weekend warrior types? If you're counting them then you have to count every martial artist on Earth as being in the MMA talent pool.

OK take a much smaller skinny guy of regular height like Iverson. Most would say he's a better athlete than local YMCA powerlifter who benches more.

Not really. If your're power lifitng, then you are a power lifter. How many people do you think legitimately train MMA?

Every city I've been in has power lifting gyms and puts on meets. I can't say I've every actually laid eyes on a legitimate MMA training gym.

He didnt get it clean (meaning without spotter help) but even if he did not impressive for a professional athlete his size. The video of Howard getting 365 3x clean pretty easily is way more impressive and also speaks to the lack of real A level athletes in MMA.

It also speaks to the complete lack of ped testing in the NBA. As much as there is now PED testing cycling, and many other sports. The most important sports in the united states like american football and basketball are a complete and utter joke as it comes to PEDS. They more or less encourage you to take it.

Back