Jon Jones: ‘I’m staying faithful’ for a reduced sentence from USADA

or Possessed a Prohibited Substance or Prohibited Method on multiple occasions
Wouldn't this qualify?

I'm by no means an expert or a lawyer (unlike the rest of Sherdog) but it seems that having been caught twice and lying multiple times on his paperwork could be grounds for a longer suspension.

Either way, he's getting at least 4 years, regardless of how many times his fans say he's coming back this year

Wouldn't this qualify?

I'm by no means an expert or a lawyer (unlike the rest of Sherdog) but it seems that having been caught twice and lying multiple times on his paperwork could be grounds for a longer suspension.

Either way, he's getting at least 4 years, regardless of how many times his fans say he's coming back this year
Your guess is as good as mine, but Jones could simply argue negligence on his part. The requirements for aggravating circumstances set by the Rivera case (who was a first time offender) makes me believe that intentional deceit must be present:

USADA said:
After a thorough investigation into the circumstances of Rivera’s case, USADA concluded that the clenbuterol levels detected in his sample were inconsistent with what could be expected from meat contamination. Furthermore, Rivera was unable to provide independently verifiable evidence to support his claim that he had traveled to Northern Mexico and ingested meat in the days leading up to the relevant sample collection. Thereafter, Rivera opted to have his case submitted to a neutral arbitrator for resolution.

In advance of the arbitration hearing, USADA’s ongoing investigation revealed that several pieces of evidence presented by Rivera to USADA and the arbitrator had been falsified to support the athlete’s claims that the substance had originated from contaminated meat in Mexico.

Under the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, deceitful or obstructive conduct intended to avoid the detection or adjudication of an anti-doping policy violation may be regarded as aggravating circumstances, which can lead to an increased period of ineligibility. In this case, the independent arbitrator concluded that Rivera’s conduct warranted an increase from the standard two-year period of ineligibility for a first offense, to the maximum four-year period of ineligibility due to aggravating circumstances.

https://ufc.usada.org/francisco-rivera-recieves-doping-sanction/

Conversely, Ricardo Abreu was a second time offender and only received a 4 year suspension.

I'd be very surprised if he gets more than 4. they'd have to show that he intentionally tried to mislead them - not just "I didn't do it" when he knew he did, but presenting fake evidence like forged bank records, or an email asking a supplement company to doctor a batch and make the lot numbers line up. They've only nailed one guy (Francisco Rivera) for aggravating circumstances, and he arguably could have been charged criminally for the shit he pulled.

https://ufc.usada.org/wp-content/uploads/USADAv.Rivera_Award.pdf

Jon has fucked up badly, again, but not close to that badly. He's getting 2 at the least, 4 at the most. and probably closer to 4.
4 year for his second violation and 1 for malaki falsifying his signature, they can't let that one slide.

Back