Jon isn’t comfortable with pressure

OriginMMA

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
due to not having the knowledge of counter striking.

The one problem with Jon is that he isn’t a known counter striker. I remember in the past his coach saying how eventually his striking will be on par or even better than Anderson’s so I was hoping it’s something he would have worked on.

Regardless of that Jon is extremely good at distance control which gets him out of those problems usually, but beyond 3 punch combos he tends to freeze just a little bit and also turn his back which we all know is a no in combat sports. He looked very uncomfortable with Reyes pushing beyond 3 punches.

The one thing Jon does well though to counter fighters who push forward is wrestling. Instead of using head movement and countering when he feels uncomfortable he clinches or shoots. When that doesn’t work you have fights like this and Gus.

Movement also gives Jon problems. He’s used to his opponents staying flat so that’s why Reyes was giving him so much issues (especially early) because he wouldn’t stop moving regardless of how fatigued and awkward he looked. He wouldn’t let Jon settle and think. The moment Reyes started to fatigue the more he started letting Jon think which is when he started to take over.

TLDR; movement, size, and takedown defence are what gives Jon problems. I believe in a rematch Jon would beat Reyes due to him knowing more about him and the element of surprise isn’t there anymore which is a huge factor when you got fighters who study specifically to beat you as a long time champ.

Last edited:
Perfect example of this

His attempt at a TD was so pathetic lol

Sad this always happens when Jon wins a close fight, you think it would be easier to accept that he is who he is, and Reyes is clearly in the mix at the top after that fight.

You all act like this means Jon sucks lol

Sad this always happens when Jon wins a close fight, you think it would be easier to accept that he is who he is, and Reyes is clearly in the mix at the top after that fight.

Jon appears to have been gifted his last few wins, and hasn't looked great.

Compared to early roiding JJ, this JJ does suck.

I agree the pressure from Gus or DC really wasn't there. Look was Reyes a game opponent, yet. Could Jon of looked better maybe. Years ago people said the same crap after the first Gus fight. Jon is who he is and until he loses none of it matters.

Like I said I believe Jon started taking over late which is when Reyes started slowing down due to excessive movement which is rare in the LHW division. I also believe he would win again in a rematch so not hating Jon in this post just breaking it down as a coach myself.

This is also what makes Jon such a great fighter because he is able to adapt to situations like this.

Jones is a terrible striker. He cannot throw combos. Hes easy to hit when he strikes and he cant counter. Hes not active at all either. He jus stands there most of the time

It wasn't close. Jones lost.

Jones exposed long time ago,the guy got no power in his hands,if he is kicking and you angle it right you can close the distance
and no matter what -Jon will never throw a counter,he just going to run back and dodge the shots,Dominick abused him 1 - 2 -3 ,first 5 rounder for reyes
and cardio decided round 4-5,skillwise Jon got schooled.

I think Luke puts it best here

Thiago setup the OG blueprint, Brutal leg kicks and making him fear the big strike coming in for the TDs to keep him non committal. Reyes executed this well enough for the win, but their is something less ferocious about his striking that really makes me wonder how Santos could have done with healthy knees more than ever now.

May the Just Bleed Gods return this disciple to his former physical ability once he is recovered, there is still much work to be done.

Back