Jon is an old lion now and we need to accept that...

Except Jones has way more mileage, and almost twice as many fights as Reyes. Jones has fought in more wars. There is a difference.

Reyes has mileage too, football isn't easy on the body or brain.

Anyone can.

This is like saying if Lawler can't KO Askren how do you expect Masvidal to do it? Or if Woodley can't KO Wonderboy, how can Pettis?

It's MMA, anyone can get got by anyone in the craziest way possible that you never saw coming. All these guys hit hard and it only takes 1 strike.

Just 1 zig when you should have zagged and it's lights out.

Anyone can? Where the proof? Jones has never been TKOed/Koed. If there is someone who can knockout Jones it would have been Reyes but he didn't. So to say anyone can is not true.

Jones chin is underrated and his defense is impeccable.

For all the heat Jon takes around here steroid this, pico that, peds when, and all he does is win by measured strategic paced fighting. No spectecular KO's or strings of submissions or any one thing people can point to it's because of drugs why he's doing it. Jon's fighting is very simple nullify what you do best and drag you into championship rounds and just wear you down.

Reyes looked like fire in the early rounds but what happened when he couldn't get that quick KO like he could against scrubs he was forced to really fight using game, training, and coaching, all three areas Jon excels at. The only area I feel where any sort of drug can help him this area is the ability to train longer and recover faster but even there it's on the fighter to perform no matter what.

The East Germans had a huge library of the effectiveness of Turinabol in Olympic competition. It increased the abilities of these athletes in many more ways than recovery and length of training. Even skill based events.

Sports scientist Ross Tucker broke it down in his blog years ago : https://sportsscientists.com/2007/06/drugs-work-but-by-how-much/

jon was hit in the chest and was off balance...he wasn't hurt...obviously you didn't see the replay...survival mode? hahaahahahaha he was slipping and ducking every single punch reyes through...what fight were you watching...at no point in the fight was jon in any danger at all...not even a little.

"...not even a little."

Whatever, dude...I SEENT IT!

Jon was hurt several times in that fight and I never said he was close to being finished.

Do you just like to argue?

Anyone can? Where the proof? Jones has never been TKOed/Koed. If there is someone who can knockout Jones it would have been Reyes but he didn't. So to say anyone can is not true.

Jones chin is underrated and his defense is impeccable.

No one had KO'd Askren until Masvidal or Wonderboy until Pettis.

And both had fought harder hitters who landed clean on them multiple times.

Riddle me that one buddy.

Jones is a human. Rattle a human's brain the right way with the right shot from the right angle, they will go out cold. It's only reality.

I guess you learn something new every day, I never knew young lions had natural steroids in them...

I am going to ask Dana to sign me to a fight with Jones and when he beats my ass hopefully I will have a "cult" following giving dumbass excuses like "clearly he hadn't eaten his wheaties that morning...he came in with short notice and didn't have time to match Jon's steroid count...etc..

No one had KO'd Askren until Masvidal or Wonderboy until Pettis.

And both had fought harder hitters who landed clean on them multiple times.

Riddle me that one buddy.

Reyes has more power than Pettis and Masvidal combined.

LOL. Football doesn't even compare to MMA fighting. MMA is way more torture on your body than football could ever be.

Do you have any prove Reyes has ever even been injured because of football? MMA fighters are always fighting with injuries. The training alone is way more torture on your body than Football could ever be.

Also again Jones has almost double the fights Reyes has.

I don’t think PED use can ever turn a fighter into Jones. I also think most fighters are on something.

That said, I think they’re testing him so often now, that he can’t continue to beat the system, I think it’s taking a bit of a toll because his body has more miles. He’s still at the top, which certainly speaks to his greatness.

Reyes has more power than Pettis and Masvidal combined.

So what?

Tyron hits way harder than Pettis too but he couldn't KO Wonderboy after dropping him multiple times and putting a relentless beating on him.

Yet Pettis, a former FW/LW KO'd him stiff with 1 punch.

Does this mean Pettis hits harder than Tyron? Or does this just mean that the right strike, at the right time from the right angle, can knockout anyone.

Jones is 32 years old, but has been fighting since he was 21 and has been fighting (and training for) five round title fights since 2011.

That's a pretty healthy age in terms of "fight years".
Its pretty old in fight years. And as champion? So many coaches have examined his game under a microscope and devised plans to defeat him.

Seems much likelier that his recent performances are a result of him being forced off PEDs. Nobody has attempted to do anything different when fighting Jon, he just looks like he’s missing a little something extra. Which we know he is,

So what?

Tyron hits way harder than Pettis too but he couldn't KO Wonderboy after dropping him multiple times and putting a relentless beating on him.

Yet Pettis KO'd him stiff with 1 punch.

Does this mean Pettis hits harder than Tyron? Or does this just mean that the right strike at the right time from the right angle, can knockout ANYONE.

Of course Jon Jones is not invincible and he can be knocked out if the timing is perfect and with the right angle as you say. But it's obviously not easy to knockout Jones, just look at the latest fight with Reyes. Reyes has HW power and couldn't knock him out with all the punches and kicks he was throwing.

It just shows to me how tough Jon Jones is and his amazing striking defense. Maybe he'll get knocked out in the future, but that's a big maybe. Considering he took on the guy who has the best punchers chance than anyone in that division and Reyes couldn't knock him out.

Also Santos and Anthony Smith couldn't knock him out. With their incredible power as well. Jones is just very tough man to beat.

Jones looked good in there. His boxing is improving for sure, the rest of his game is still solid although he hasn't been using his clinch and top game as much for a little while. I don't understand what you guys are looking at. Yes it was a close fight, but Jones have had a few of those before.

Of course Jon Jones is not invincible and he can be knocked out if the timing is perfect and with the right angle as you say. But it's obviously not easy to knockout Jones, just look at the latest fight with Reyes. Reyes has HW power and couldn't knock him out with all the punches and kicks he was throwing.

It just shows to me how tough Jon Jones is and his amazing striking defense. Maybe he'll get knocked out in the future, but that's a big maybe. Considering he took on the guy who has the best punchers chance than anyone in that division and Reyes couldn't knock him out.

Also Santos and Anthony Smith couldn't knock him out. With their incredible power as well. Jones is just very tough man to beat.
Right. Jones barely got hit cleanly in the entire fight.

Seems much likelier that his recent performances are a result of him being forced off PEDs. Nobody has attempted to do anything different when fighting Jon, he just looks like he’s missing a little something extra. Which we know he is,

How would you differentiate the effects of aging/wear-and-tear vs. missing PEDs?

Jones has fought 70 rounds in the UFC. That's roughly the equivalent of 23 "regular" MMA fights.

And been training for five-round fights (compared to three) for nearly a decade.

How many MMA greats have had periods of dominance at the absolute top for close to a decade?

Fedor: 2003 to 2009/2010
GSP: 2006ish to 2013
Anderson: 2007ish to 2013
Aldo: 2009ish to 2014

He's had a longggggg run. He just started it way earlier than most. He might have an advantage in terms of fight years because he started his run so young...but a decline is perfectly predictable, PEDs or not.

He got USADA'd

He's only 32 years old, a year older than Khabib and Conor. He's had a lot of fights, but he's had long layoffs too. Let's just be real, without the juice (Which he probably took the majority of his career) he doesn't look great. He's beating mid-level fighters on points. He's still a top-end fighter, but the gap between him and his competition has shrunk tremendously since USADA. Somebody is going to catch him very soon.

He is, but LHW doesn't have strong contenders anymore. Reyes, Walker...then there's a drop-off.

One thing for a rematch is Reyes gassing hard defending takedowns. He said the attacker gasses more after failed shots, but he did instead. It's expected Jones will go for them more next time. Doesn't matter if he doesn't get them, the result is Reyes becoming less effective on the feet.

Jon just turned into GSP. He takes less risks and there is too much fight tape on him to study so everyone is closing the gap on him. The biggest advantages he has now is his cardio at that weight class. Same thing happened to GSP, remember the early days where he'd throw head kicks and shit and attacked aggressively? Then later on it was just jabs and takedowns?

What do you guys expect? Jon and GSP don't have that scary factor like Anderson did. Put all the PEDs aside for a second and ask yourself who would you be more afraid of in their prime? I'm gonna say Anderson because he toyed with people and then brutally stopped them.

If Jon changed his style again to the risk taking Jon, I think we'd see more finishes and probably a new level of fear....but I also think Wink-Jackson camp has tuned him into this predictable fighter that relies on winning rounds vs stopping the fight early.

Yeah, but he didn't even make it to the NFL like Mitrione, Schaub or others...where it gets REALLY hard on your body. Mitrione had like 7 surgeries in the NFL. I agree with you generally but Jones having twice as many fights and being a college athlete himself (wrestling) has probably caused more wear than Reyes has had.

Back