Jon Fitch was on a 16 fight win streak when he fought GSP

GSP is overrated af. This is by far his greatest feat though in MMA. It alone is not evidence of any of the common critiques people have of GSP, this is an outlier. People complaining about GSP decision wins aren't complaining about this fight, more the Shields, Condits fight he might have otherwise lost with a less conservative approach.
Shields was on a 15 fight win streak, his streak contained a whos who of both the WW and MW divisions. To this day Shields is one of GSP’s best wins imo.

GSP handing out 10-8 rounds when they weren’t in fashion. Such a great dominant fighter.

View attachment 779044

Yeah, that's why he was in the UFC as long as he was. No one not named GSP could beat him. And then, the first non-championship setback he had, instantly cut by Dana, who couldn't stand Fitch.

Fitch is a great fighter. He beat Rory. Should've been able to retire as a champ of Bellator.
People criticize his style but it is very effective most of the time.
Very likable dood too.

Meh being slicker than snot works both ways in grappling
regardless.
You are either against cheating or not.
Being selective only shows hypocrisy.

And let me note the following before my words are twisted: I am merely playing devil's advocate here.

Yeah, that's why he was in the UFC as long as he was. No one not named GSP could beat him. And then, the first non-championship setback he had, instantly cut by Dana, who couldn't stand Fitch.

Fitch was cut because he refused to sign the contract to the ufc fighting video game (can't remember how its called) that asked him to give lifetime rights to his name to that game. Such a draconian contract.

Lol you do know he was 38 years old and had been fighting professionally since 1997, right?

And sorry, the majority of GSP's title reign was not against better competition. The WW division was not stacked until the WEC/Strikeforce mergers.

The WW division was still 3 times more stacked than Silva's MW division.

regardless.
You are either against cheating or not.
Being selective only shows hypocrisy.

And let me note the following before my words are twisted: I am merely playing devil's advocate here.
The gray area here is whether GSP was even aware of his corner’s error.
In that minute between rounds I highly doubt your mind is on anything but the task at hand and that guy mere seconds away from trying to take your head off.

The gray area here is whether GSP was even aware of his corner’s error.
In that minute between rounds I highly doubt your mind is on anything but the task at hand and that guy mere seconds away from trying to take your head off.
Come on, man!
If he did not know, he would have publically fired that guy the second they saw the images of him doing it, because it was just too blatant.

But I don't want to turn this into a very old argument that will lead to nothing.
I just dislike people pointing fingers to other fighters like GSP does not have a glass ceiling...

And almost none of his opponents were ranked fighters... which means he was beating nobodies. Congrats on beating Chris Wilson, Roan Carneiro, Luigi Fioravanti, and Kuniyoshi Hironaka before getting your title shot against GSP. Easily the most overrated win streak of all time.
Have you won 16 fights in a row?

I still think the Fitch fight is what changed GSP's fighting style permanently and ruined his confidence. He beat the ever loving shit out of Fitch, was actively trying to finish him, but he couldn't. This was after Serra. From then on he was clearly point fighting.

Fitch had a good streak going into this fight, obviously, but I believe only half of those wins (8?) were in the UFC. Somebody mentioned Shields had a big streak too, but only 1 of his 15 were in the UFC as well.

It was a beating of the ages, where the #1 of the division stomped the clear #2.
It was like a man beating a child

It was a beating of the ages, where the #1 of the division stomped the clear #2.
It was like a man beating a child

Jon definitely wasn't the clear number 2 because Alves was still considered number 2 in the division. But more importantly his title shot was laced in controversy on here due to the fact that Fitch did not fight top 10 opponents with the exception of Sanchez who might've been top 5-7 at the time depending who you ask.

He did beat Thiago Alves in 2006 but Alves was green. Alves was 100% absolutely not in the top 10 when they fought.

Back