Jon Fitch: MMA has been shrinking since 2008 due to monopoly of UFC....

?

mma hasnt been in decline since 2008. It stopped inflating at fast rate but certainly not in decline since then. I think the espn+ deal was about as dumb as you can fucking get for growth, but i think they needed some fast return on their investment

What time frame are you defining as recently?

You do realize that the obvious solution here is to just watch PPVs then.
Is it? Compare next event with pretty much all PPVs between UFC 100-140. In earlier years, the UFC had a fairly small roster, which lead to fans getting to know a big percentage of the fighters. You (or at least I) got super excited for every event and I really cared about the events. Now, I watch Bellator, Cage Warriors or UFC Fight Nights cause I like mma, not to see a unique line up of fighters

It's never going back to one stacked card every month or so. I understand why folks liked that better, but the incentive to put on cards every weekend is so much stronger. Thankfully, there's still a few cards stacked to the gills every year.
Yeah, I totally understand it's never gonna be like that. I can live with it, allthough some cards are just rough. Even 255 is a really uninspiring card overall, so Im glad I can just watch it on an open channel here in my country, instead of buying the ppv

He was always naive about the business. He refused to sell himself in any way,had a mind numbingly boring style,and expected anything and everything based on him winning. He KNEW the issue but chose to ignore it,and then whined about why he wasnt paid more and given more oppurtunities.

Now all he does is whine about how unfair the sport has been to him,which somehow translates to the sport in general not being good anymore. He is self centered and takes NO BLAME for how his career ended up.

UFC is growing...

But a lot of the smaller shows are definitely falling off...
The smaller shows are a sign of the growth. There was a time, when you could only watch the prelims on DVD. Now there is a market for prelims of even the smallest UFC-shows.

By “smaller shows” I mean smaller MMA organizations/promotions.
The smaller organisations are definitely screwed during the pandemic. The first cancellation I ran into was a tiny non-televised-not-even-recorded MMA-event at Helsingør Hallen with 2/3 of the bouts being amateur. Stuff like that will be one of the last things we'll get back in "peacetime."

I never said MMA is dying. See my other comment in this thread. MMA peaked with Ronda and Conor. I think it’s stopped growing since then. I get that it’s still growing in some countries, but the decline in other countries results in a net even.
I disagree. Especially with the exposure its getting on a national level and international level. Its being watched more than some sports, including major boxing ppvs. Its becoming more main stream.

Whether the sport has grown or shrunk is debatable. What is not debatable is how the UFC has done a TON to centralize the sport around their own brand. The UFC has bought out most of the competition. Other promotions, they brought under the Fight Pass umbrella to make those promotions dependent on the UFC for broadcast money, and the UFC now owns their fight library in perpetuity. The UFC has ensured their own growth and survival through growth and integration, but that doesn’t necessarily reflect on the sport as a whole

I want to think he’s deluded but will give him more credit and assume he’s saying this to prop up his era.
Post 2015 UFC is MMA at its biggest.
I know people who have never watched a fight but know who is Khabib. Ronda at one point was among the most popular athletes. Conor is the biggest star MMA has seen.
Notice how that all revolves around UFC, though. Not the sport itself.
He has said so many things that were obviously due to the fact that he is a very bitter guy that it is hard to take anything he says seriously. He was never exciting, so the UFC never did him any favors and he is still bitter about that. He is still bitter about whatever happened between him and his wife. Everything bad that has ever happened to him is everyone else's fault.

Dude was a good fighter in his prime, but these days he just comes across as a cry baby steroid cheat.
All you did was attack the guy. You provided zero counterpoints.
UFC was the only major sport going on in the world for a while,when the pandemic happened

But that had nothing to do with Jon Fitch,so its obviously dying lolololol
The fact you just referred to UFC as a sport is a huge problem.
UFC is growing...

But a lot of the smaller shows are definitely falling off...
Definitely, and COVID made it even worse this year.

Whether the sport has grown or shrunk is debatable. What is not debatable is how the UFC has done a TON to centralize the sport around their own brand. The UFC has bought out most of the competition. Other promotions, they brought under the Fight Pass umbrella to make those promotions dependent on the UFC for broadcast money, and the UFC now owns their fight library in perpetuity. The UFC has ensured their own growth and survival through growth and integration, but that doesn’t necessarily reflect on the sport as a whole

Notice how that all revolves around UFC, though. Not the sport itself.

All you did was attack the guy. You provided zero counterpoints.

The fact you just referred to UFC as a sport is a huge problem.

Definitely, and COVID made it even worse this year.
Neat!

Fitch has no idea what he's talking about. PFL, ONE, Bellator etc are all providing top talent and nations that never used to have big gyms are now major places. 10 years ago who heard of actual irish or dagestani UFC fighters? or africans?
Fitch is just butt hurt he got cut from the ufc. This is the same interview when he talks about going mgtow or whatever. The guy is just negative on everything. Wife cheated on him, oh its all women. UFC cut him? overall, mma is getting boring. The guy just needs a scapegoat instead of objective and accepting accountability for his actions. Even when he cheated, he tried to rationalize it then too lol.

I'll respect him as a fighter, got to when you're willing to step inside the cage.But the dude's social life, he sounds like a loser.

By trashing their own fighters ?????

You surely aren't defending the UFC publicly smearing its own employees?

I will say that obviously screwing over fighters whether in public or in private is wrong. Treating them like dirt publicly is something else - the world sees it, and this must be humiliating for fighters.
That's exactly what he is doing lol which is so ironic because he has Fedor supremist written under his avatar, someone with integrity who has always maintained the same opinion as Fitch about Dana and the ufc disrespecting fighters.

I got nothing against HHJ but just look at him all invested, posting multiple times coming off as a ufc Shill defending the indefensible lol

Going as far as reaching to come up with some reaaaaally weak ass counter arguments citing prides Mis treatment of fighters. Pride EVEN PAID their fighters better then the ufc. I'd say that's the ultimate sign of respect (no pun intended lol). It's Weird because usually he has good posts, but I guess this thread touched his"ufc emotional chord" lol

Yes Fitch is an idiot, he didn't know how to convey his argument well (he got the time period wrong), but the reality is the ufc has always tried to corner the market with a Virtual monopoly over the sport, back when it was owned by the fertittas and even moreso now that they are owned by one of the biggest companies in the world, and are in bed with the elite Arab shieks. One of the reasons the elite spread this plandemic was so that the big companies could come in a eat up the smaller ones in various industries while the others ones are forced to close down due to bankruptcy. Same thing happened with the banks (jp Morgan and chase) after 9/11. Do your research kids (itt). If you support the ufc's unethical business practices that have helped them get this far, then you support the new world order/agenda 21 shit... Just look at the conditioning they do to the masses. What a crying shame.

Aside from any semantics about whether it's shrinking or just not growing, the UFC's potential and appeal is not what it once was. It is somewhat stagnant.

The UFC is a business model that will mostly just support wrestlers that have no other way of making money, so they cross train and become MMA fighters. Other arts enter it far less these days, as they can make money doing other things, so they aren't going to get CTE for peanuts like the vast majority of UFC fighters. The fighters these days are well rounded because training for the sport has advenced, but the level of athlete in the UFC hasn't improved much for a long time.

The UFC is just a few fighter retirements away from really having next to no one that appeals to the public.

Man I remember people saying mma is dying right around the Conor came into the ufc and I believed it at that moment it was a very boring and forgetful period in mma, but Conor changed the game, sooner or later another Conor will come.

He was always naive about the business. He refused to sell himself in any way,had a mind numbingly boring style,and expected anything and everything based on him winning. He KNEW the issue but chose to ignore it,and then whined about why he wasnt paid more and given more oppurtunities.

Now all he does is whine about how unfair the sport has been to him,which somehow translates to the sport in general not being good anymore. He is self centered and takes NO BLAME for how his career ended up.

This is 100% the truth. Guys like Conor, love him or hate him, came along and showed him how very very wrong he was. Fitch is a tough SOB but tough isn't enough.

Last edited:
Back